
Photo © Paul Haywood. Please do not re-post without permission.
Blackpool's "Dreadnought" class of trams were famous for their distinctive twin staircases, patented by a Mr Shrewsbury in 1897, the rights of which were bought by Blackpool for £12. Car 59, one of the third and final batch delivered in 1902, was a lucky survivor following withdrawal in the 1930s and its subsequent use as a store facility at Copse Road depot, Fleetwood.
Its historic significance was recognised in 1960 when it was restored back to 1922 condition for the tramway's 75th anniversary, after which it was used for various tour duties before being presented to the Tramway Museum Society in 1965. It returned to Blackpool in 1975 (to help celebrate the borough centenary) when the Blackpool Civic Trust helped to raise funds for further restoration. Following use in the tramway centenary in 1985 the car needed further restoration so returned to Crich in 1990. In 1995, after a period as a static exhibit, it was moved into off-site storage, where it remains to this day.
This photo shows 59 performing one of its many tour duties and is seen with recently restored Bolton 66 on "temporary loan" to Blackpool which has now lasted more than forty years. However, this view also illustrates the inherent danger posed by this staircase design, requiring passengers to board and alight between the tracks.
Photo taken by Paul Haywood, Saturday 17 July 1982, Ferry Terminus, Fleetwood
©1982-2026 Paul Haywood All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.