Photo © Terry Walker. Please do not re-post without permission.
For some reason, photographs of Dearneways vehicles on the internet seem to be few and far between. TWX963 was acquired in 1970 from one of the "Ideal Service" partners (R.Taylor & Sons, Cudworth), who shared the Barnsley to Pontefract bus service. A 1957 Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/1, it carried a Burlingham B45F body.
After withdrawal in 1974, it moved on to Bleanch of Hetton-le-Hole, County Durham. In this picture, taken in May 1973, it was turning from Furnival Road, towards Casstlegate, Sheffield, whilst working on the Dearneways bus service.
Percy Philipson and son Maurice established the business at Goldthorpe in the Dearne Valley shortly after World War Two, in 1949. During the 1950s, Coal Board works contracts formed the basis of the business, supplemented by a Tours and Excursion licence. In the face of opposition from locally established bus service operators, the limited stop service along the Dearne Valley from Thurnscoe to Sheffield was introduced in 1964. The initial Sheffield terminus was Castlegate, presumably because Sheffield Corporation took its bat home and refused access to the Bus Station. Access to the Bus Station was achieved in 1974, following the formation of South Yorkshire PTE. Percy had retired in 1969, leaving Maurice in sole charge. A limited company, Dearneways Ltd., was formed in 1979. Like most other South Yorkshire small bus service operating companies, the firm eventually decided to sell up to the PTE, in this case in 1981.
Photo taken by Terry Walker, Saturday 26 May 1973, Furnival Road, Sheffield
©1973-2019 Terry Walker All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.