Photo © Essex Bus Enthusiasts Group. Please do not re-post without permission.
Not the best of photographs, but probably of interest in view of the recent restoration of King Alfred's Leyland/MCCW Olympic. Jennings of Ashen's green-liveried former demonstrator KOC233 is seen here at Judd Street, King's Cross some time between acquisition in April 1951 and relocation of the London terminal to Pentonville Road in January 1954.
Jennings began a service from Ovington to London in 1930, extending it outwards to Ashen in 1936. The basic London - Broxted - Thaxted - Stambourne - Ashen route survived until taken over by Hedingham Omnibuses in December 1984 although it incorporated a number of permutations over the years. KOC, an HR40 with DP40F bodywork, lasted in the fleet until August 1972, passing to Amos of Belchamp St Paul in 1973 as a seat store after there had been no interest in its preservation. It was reported as being scrapped on a travellers' site at Boreham in September 1976.
Photo from Essex Bus Enthusiasts Group collection, courtesy Chris Stewart, taken early 1950s, Judd Street Coach Station, London Kings Cross
©1974-2017 Essex Bus Enthusiasts Group.
Click here to visit the EBEG web site for details about how to join the group, their regular meetings and monthly magazine and also for information about photos for sale from their collection.