IY8045 GNR-Gardner with GNR B33R body, new 1952. It's hard to believe that the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) was still building these distinctive buses as late as 1952, when underfloor engines were so becoming familiar elsewhere.
Powered by a Gardner 5LW engine they were certainly robust, but the design was little changed from the first of the type, built back in 1937. GNR fleet number 397, the survivors were taken over by Coras Iompair Eireann (CIE) in late 1958 and gained a "G" prefix to the fleet number. Withdrawn in 1962 it survived in a corner of Ballyshannon depot until the summer of 1965, a year after this photograph. Although in good condition and eminently preservable, unfortunately this was not to be and it duly went for scrap.
Photo taken by Trevor Leach, July 1964, Ballyshannon CIE depot, Ireland
See the Site Map for further details about copyright.