Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
534BGD, a Duple Midland bodied Bedford J4LZ1 with mail compartment is seen loading passengers and mail for Tongue.
The Scourie bus is behind and those for Durness and Lochinver are along the side of the Post Office.
The Sutherland Transport & Trading Company could trace its origins back to 1878 when a horsedrawn mail coach first operated between Lairg and Tongue and Lairg and Scourie. After a change of ownership in 1906, Albion wagonettes replaced the horses and the name Sutherland Motor Traffic Co Ltd was adopted, becoming the ST&TC Ltd in 1920. In 1951 the company was acquired by the Duke of Westminster who ran it as part of his estates until the late 60s when it was purchased by Johnson of Lairg. Sadly ST&TC has passed into history and their services are covered by a number of different operators.
Photo taken by Alan Hall, c.1970, Lairg, Post Office
©1970-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.