Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
York Pullman 77, 9677DN, an AEC Regent V 2MD3RA with Roe H37/28RD bodywork new in 1964 leaves its stop in Exhibition Square and pulls out into the late-afternoon traffic for the run up the A19 to Skelton. The second of two Regent Vs - the other was 71 of 1957 - 77 was withdrawn in 1979, the last of York Pullman's rear entrance 'deckers.
The early-Victorian De Grey Rooms, built in the neo-Classical style, stand in the background. Built originally as an officers' mess for the Yorkshire Hussars, they became one of the city's foremost venues for dancing during the last war and the post-war period then for many years they housed the York Tourist Information Centre. In 2005 they were bought from the City Council by York Conservation Trust and leased to York Theatre Royal for rehearsal space and to hold workshops but, as of last year, regular public dances are once again being held in the refurbished ballroom.
Photo taken by Alan Hall, mid 1970s, Exhibition Square, York
©1970-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.