Photo © Trevor Leach. Please do not re-post without permission.
TWY607 was new in February 1958 to West Yorkshire Road Car Co, numbered DX65 and allocated to Harrogate depot.
From new it, along with sisters DX 59-64/6 (TWY 601-6/8) were used, in normal West Yorkshire fashion, on the prestige Leeds-Harrogate-Ripon (36) service, but by the time this photograph of it leaving Harrogate Bus Station was taken, it had been transferred to Ilkley depot and was part way along the lengthy Tadcaster-Harrogate-Otley-Ilkley-Skipton (76) service.
This batch of buses (which concluded with DX 67/8 (TWY 609/10), allocated to Bradford for the new Bradford-Keighley (X67) Limited Stop service) introduced the Cave-Brown-Cave heating system to West Yorkshire double deckers. They were new without covers to the air intakes flanking the front indicator, which had been a five piece display with a top destination, above an intermediate and three track number blind, but on overhaul in November 1963 it had been altered to this "T" display and gained an intermediate form of CBC grille, made in house by WY out of plastic "Darvic" material. A later, and final, version of cover took the form of a straightforward scoop.
DX 65 was renumbered 1665 in the 1971 fleet renumbering, by which time it was back at Harrogate depot, but unfortunately developed a faulty Bristol AVW engine shortly afterwards and became the first of the batch to be withdrawn, on 30 September 1971. By that time, spares for AVW engines were in short supply so although it still had a 2 year certificate of fitness it never ran again and was sold to Norths at Sherburn in Elmet, who quickly passed it on for scrapping.
Photo taken by Trevor Leach, April 1964, Station Parade, Harrogate
©1964-2019 Trevor Leach All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.