Photo © Simon Dewey. Please do not re-post without permission.
To expand upon the photo of Wolverhampton Corporation 653, here is a shot of Nos 469 and 471 (FJW469 and FJW471 respectively) at Park Lane depot in about May 1963 showing the normal Wolverhampton livery (at that time) carried by 469 and the experimental Nottingham-inspired darker green with light cream waistband carried by 471, this the same as that by 653. Both buses are Sunbeam F4 vehicles with Park Royal H28/26R bodies dating from 1948.
The white steering wheels are notable, these being fitted to all 8 feet wide vehicles in the fleet to alert their drivers to the buses' increased width.
Trolleybuses Nos. 409, 412, 471, 490, 603 and 653 and motor bus No 6 (SUK6) were the only vehicles painted in the experimental livery. No 6 differed in having the cream band above lower deck window level rather than at its waist.
Photo taken by Simon Dewey, May 1963, Park Lane Depot, Wolverhampton
©1963-2017 Simon Dewey All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.