Photo © Alan N Walker. Please do not re-post without permission.
The eleven years between these two Wallasey Leylands with Metro Cammell bodies represents their transformation from traditional 7ft 6in wide Titans of 5-bay construction to (then) ultra-modern Atlanteans. Seen after takeover by Merseyside PTE in December 1969 are 41, AHF837, a PD2/1 with H30/26R body of February 1950 and 19, HHF19, a PDR1/1 / H44/33F still in Corporation livery, penultimate of thirteen all new in March 1960.
Both buses initially retained their fleet numbers with new owner but in 1970 Atlanteans 1-30 were renumbered 201-30 to avoid confusion with transfers from Birkenhead.
41 was renumbered 241 in November 1971 for similar reasons and lasted only one year less than the Atlantean. Withdrawal came in 1972 and one-way trip to Yorkshire breaker in February 1973. 219 lost one upper-deck seat during 1971 when fitted for OMO/OPO and periscope, but was withdrawn in 1973 and sold with seven others to Hartwood Exports (dealer) in January 1974, with no further use known on this one.
The Bus Station survived until at least 1983 but has since been redeveloped.
Photo taken by Alan Walker, Saturday 13 February 1971, New Brighton Bus Station, Wirral, Cheshire
©1971-2017 Alan N Walker All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.