Photo © John Stringer. Please do not re-post without permission.
United Automobile BGS1, 989CHN, a Bristol LL5G rebuild with ECW FB39C body, reconstructed in 1957 from an earlier L5G bus, lengthened and rebodied with an eight feet wide body on the 7ft. 6in wide chassis.
An admittedly rather grainy shot of one of the Scarborough Seafront buses on the last stretch of the service as it approaches the Corner Cafe terminus in the North Bay on its little jaunt from the South Bay. The livery was cream and red, applied in the style of United's olive green and cream coaches, and with the coach-style scroll fleetname. Scarborough Castle is in the background on top of the headland. Just behind the bus was the location of Scarborough's one time pier. Opened in 1866 and 1000 feet long its popularity was already failing badly by the 1890's and after severe damage by gales it was demolished in 1905.
Photo taken by John Stringer, September 1960, Royal Albert Drive, Scarborough
©1960-2018 John Stringer All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.