Photo © Chris Hough. Please do not re-post without permission.
Sunderland was a bastion of tram operation until the nineteen fifties operating many second hand cars. Car 16 dates originally from 1900 and was bought new. Over the years the tram was radically rebuilt until it achieved the shape and layout it has to day
Withdrawn in 1953 the year before the system closed, 16 was sold as a football changing room The lower deck then spent several years as a fruit store on a farm.
Rescued from oblivion and fully restored using an EU grant it re-entered passenger service at Beamish in 1993. It carries the final pre red and cream Sunderland livery.
Photo taken by Chris Hough, Sunday 7 April 2013, Beamish Open Air Museum Depot
©2013-2017 Chris Hough All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.