SCT'61
Trams

Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.

Sheffield 76 and 522 at Owlerton at the head of a line of ‘Football Specials’ waiting for the match to end. 76 and 522 are lined up on Parkside Road; this was officially listed as a “siding”, but linked the Wadsley Bridge and Middlewood routes. It was used solely to park “football special” trams. By the time the photos were taken, the Middlewood route had been converted to buses (1954) and the track either lifted or tarred over, so Parkside Road really was a siding!
76 was built in 1931 by the Corporation while 522 was built in 1951 by Roberts. 76 has the later (1935) livery because it was repainted into an experimental all-green livery in 1952; this was soon dropped, and 76 was repainted into the cream livery.
Sheffield Wednesday lost 2-5 to Aston Villa that day; they ended up at the bottom of Division 1 that season and were relegated.

Photo taken by John Kaye, Saturday 7 December 1957, Parkside Road, Owlerton

©1957-2017 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.

Show this photo as ...
Higher Resolution
Sheffield Corporation ...
Fleet Photo Index

Photo ref: sh522. Page and photo added January 2010
Cookie policy