National Tramway Museum Crich

Photo © Chris Hough. Please do not re-post without permission.

One of Sheffield's original electric car fleet is 46 a saloon dating from 1899, bodied by Milnes, now safely preserved at the Tramway Museum at Crich
46 is not quite what it seems, as it started life with a five-bay body! It was withdrawn in 1921, and converted to a snow-plough; this conversion involved removing the centre bay, so ending up with a four window body, and about 4 ft shorter. It was also renumbered (3 times), but survived to 1960, when it was restored by the Corporation to something like its original condition, given back its original number (but not its missing section) and used in the Last Tram Week celebrations and processions.

Photo taken by Chris Hough, 1990, Crich Tramway Museum

©1990-2017 Chris Hough All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.

Show this photo as ...
Higher Resolution
Grey Scale
National Tramway Museum Crich Gallery ...
View Gallery Previous Photo Next Photo
Sheffield Corporation ...
Fleet Photo Index

Photo ref: sh46. Page and photo added January 2010, last changed 3 February 2010.
Cookie policy