Photo © David Mitchell. Please do not re-post without permission.
Sheffield tramcar 112 at Millhouses in December 1959. 112 was a 61 seater enclosed car built at the Sheffield City Tramways, Queens Road Works, in 1932 but was one of 14 trams destroyed during the Blitz in 1940. These were eventually replaced by new trams, of the Improved Standard design (though using the original trucks in most cases), 112 re-entering service in 1942. These were always known as "war cars" or "war damage replacement cars". 112 lasted until the end of the system on 8th October 1960.
In the background is one of the post-war Roberts cars, with their 4-bay saloons, lower-height and longer-wheelbase trucks, platform doors, and generally more streamlined appearance; these were built in 1950-2. Millhouses terminus had a proper landscaped turning circle, and the Roberts car has turned, and is waiting to depart for the city centre and Tinsley; 112 has come down the "main line" from Beauchief (and almost certainly from Woodseats and Abbey Lane), and clearly is the first of the two to depart.
(Thanks to Mike Averill for all the details)
See here for a history of the Sheffield Tram system.
Photo taken by David Mitchell, December 1959, Abbeydale Road South/Hartington Avenue, Millhouses
©1959-2017 David Mitchell All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.