Photo © Trevor Leach. Please do not re-post without permission.
LUF811 was the second in a batch of 20 Leyland Royal Tiger PSU1/15s with Harrington C26C bodies, new to Southdown Motor Services in 1952. It was numbered 811 and entered service in January 1952.
These were luxury tour coaches with double adjustable seats on the offside and similar single seats on the nearside. In 1955 the batch was renumbered, this becoming 1811, and later in life they were all reseated to C41C, this example being done in December 1960; they were further renumbered at the time of conversion, in this case to 1671. Withdrawn in 1966, 1671 had a slightly exciting afterlife; sold to Cowley, dealer, Salford in 9/66 it quickly passed to Wimpey, Contractor, London in November 1966. Withdrawn by Wimpey in October 1969 it passed to Barraclough, dealer, Barnsley in May 1970. Barraclough was one of the infamous Barnsley breakers, but in this instance he only broke up the body, and the chassis was exported to J.Hill, also a dealer, but in Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia. Sadly the story ends there for 1671 as the chassis was broken up for spares on arrival in Australia, but the chassis of LUF 821, from the same batch, which had a similar story after sale, was resold on arrival in Australia and was given an operator-built B51D body by Parramatta, Ryde Bus Service, New South Wales.
Photo taken by Trevor Leach, July 1963, Petworth House
©1963-2017 Trevor Leach All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.