Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
South Shields 204, CU3593, is a Karrier E4 with Weymann H29/26R bodywork which entered service on 30 April 1937 and was withdrawn in February 1963. On a visit to Sandtoft in 2002 we were shocked to find 204 in a dreadful state. Little did we know……
The South Shields system opened on 12 October 1936 and fizzled out without fanfare or flourish on 29 April 1964 so 204 trundled round the streets of ‘Shields almost from beginning to end of the system. (For the benefit of those who don’t know, the abandonment of the system wasn’t advertised, only the fact that there would be certain alterations to ‘bus’ (sic) services the following day. Only three trolleybuses were in service on the final day with motorbuses covering the remaining turns as had often been the case for some months. At 11.17pm, 260 entered Dean Road depot and that was it; the following day, the current was simply not switched on. To quote the eloquent words of Geoff Burrows, “There was no farewell ceremony; not one remark in the local press. The final curtain fell, but the audience had all gone home.” Only a very hard man, reading those words, would not shed a tear.)
Photo taken by Alan Hall, Saturday 27 July 2002, Sandtoft
©2002-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.