Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.
Seen in the yard at the Gower Street garage of Smith, Wigan is DRN 708, apparently being used as their towing vehicle. It was a Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger which had been new in April 1951 with a Leyland C41C body as Ribble 786, one of one hundred and twenty delivered that year. Withdrawn by Ribble in 1962 it passed, according to the P.S.V. Circle Fleet History, to Millburn Motors (dealer), Preston in November 1962.
From there it went to Beaton, High Blantyre in March 1963; Millburn in February 1964; Bowden, Carlisle in February 1964; Millburn in April 1964; Gordon, Aspatria in March 1965, withdrawn in June 1966 and to Blundell, Southport in 1966 and it was recorded as being converted to a stock car transporter/lorry in February 1967. It was last licensed in November 1972 and scrapped. Wilf Blundell had acquired the Smith and the Webster businesses from Les Gleave in 1964.
Photo taken by John Kaye, Saturday 15 April 1972, Wigan
©1972-2017 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.