Photo © Bernard Warr. Please do not re-post without permission.
The saga of the livery for the Midland Red CL2s and CL3s was rather drawn out. When the rebodying of the original 16 C3s took place someone had the bright idea of a completely new livery for the prestigious Coach Cruise fleet. All of the CL3s carried a light stone livery in their first year of operation but this was such a radical departure from the traditional red and black coach livery that it was dropped after this first year and colour scheme shown here substituted for the 1963 season. Even the light stone central band was removed before the livery finally settled down. In this photograph CL3 4220, UHA220, is seen loading in Bearwood Bus Station before setting off on one of the Company's prestigious Coach Cruises. 4220 was new in 1954 and had a BMMO designed centre entrance body by Willowbrook.
In the winter of 1961/2 sixteen C3s received a new 36 seat body and two years later one more was so converted. Prior to conversion 4220 was a Dudley vehicle; as seen at the date of this photograph her home garage was Oldbury but later in the year she was allocated to Digbeth and then Wolverhampton. Withdrawal came in May 1971.
Photo taken by Bernard Warr, Monday 22 July 1963, Bearwood Bus Station
©1963-2017 Bernard Warr All Rights Reserved.
Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.
Prints of Bernard's photos can be obtained from his Classic Transport Photos website.