Photo © Derek Gordon. Please do not re-post without permission.
Manchester Daimler Fleetline 4628, 4628VM based at the Department's Hyde Road garage in Ardwick, Manchester. The bus looks to be in nearly-new condition in this undated image taken at the Stockport Road/Apethorn Lane terminus of the 210 bus service from Manchester Piccadilly to the Gee Cross district of Hyde, Cheshire.
Note the metal poles that had carried the wiring for the trolleybuses that operated the route from 1950 to 1963, when the trolleys were replaced by motorbuses, mostly Fleetlines from the same batch as the bus shown (the wiring-support poles would remain for years).
4628 was the bus which introduced the revised front-end and driver's screen for Manchester's rear-engined double-deckers: it trialled a blown-air ventilation system, as did a few other bus operators around the mid '60s.
Possibly because of a fire on London's novel 'FRM 1' which also had the blown-air system and no opening windows for passenger use, 4628 was retrofitted with a small number of pull-down vents and a larger upper-deck front-dome air-scoop. When SELNEC/GMT came along, it went to Rochdale with other ex-M.C.T.D. Fleetlines to run alongside Rochdale's similar (but high-floor) buses.
The large house seen behind the bus was being demolished in the early '60s and has been replaced by a car-dealership which is currently trying to sell Volkswagens.
Photo taken by Derek Gordon (image from his Flickr photostream posted by John Hardman with consent), c.1964, junction of Stockport Road/Apethorn Lane/Dowson Road in Hyde, Cheshire
©2016-2020 Derek Gordon All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.