Photo © Paul Haywood. Please do not re-post without permission.
Manchester "Pilcher"-class tram 287 entered service in September 1931 and seems to have been the first of its class to be withdrawn in 1946, following the closure of the interurban route 20 to Waterhead via Oldham in August of that year.
According to "Leeds Transport Vol.3", after the war Leeds GM Vane-Morland was desperately seeking to obtain new modern trams but a lack of home suppliers stymied this effort. Instead, he proposed buying the Pilcher cars which were up for tender even though many were still in service.
287 was the first to arrive in Leeds in July 1946. After initial trials, when it was found to be two tons lighter than the average Leeds car, it entered service in a khaki livery, but retaining the fleet number 287 (renumbered 280 in August 1948).
Following further testing with 287, LCT decided to take delivery of a further six cars which had now become available from Manchester following the final withdrawal of Pilchers in May 1948. However, by then, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Sunderland had got "the best" of the remaining fleet.
280 (nee 287) served Leeds until 1953 when it was scrapped.
The caption date is approximate. On the reverse of the card is the imprint " 'We shall continue steadfast in faith and duty till our task is done' - The Prime Minister" so obviously printed during the war.
Photographer unknown, Valentine Postcard, Paul Haywood collection, circa 1940, High Street, Oldham
©2015-2020 Paul Haywood All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.