Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
NLE830, formerly RT3723, in service for Bedlington & District. It was new in May 1953 and served in LT's Country Area until withdrawal in August 1970.
For those unfamiliar with B & D, their name - Bedlington and District Luxury Coaches - was something of a misnomer as they weren't based in Bedlington and didn't operate any luxury coaches! They had a few coaches over the years with which they sometimes operated private hires but it would be stretching it somewhat to class any of them as luxurious. Their main fleet was a motley selection of (usually elderly) second-hand buses with which they operated a significant number of miners' contracts whilst the Northumberland coalfield was still in full swing. In addition they operated an hourly service from outside their depot in Ashington to the village of North Seaton Colliery; the running time for this service was 12 minutes in each direction so there was rather a lot of layover time at each end. Most of the former colliery village has been demolished but it is still served six times a day by Arriva service 430 which continues beyond Ashington to Linton, covering most of the former route of Wansbeck Motor Services.
Photo taken by Alan Hall, early 1970s, Lintonville Terrace, Ashington
©1970-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.