SCT'61
Trams

Photo © Paul Haywood. Please do not re-post without permission.

Leeds City Transport 517 (formerly 554 until Feb 1959) was ex-London 2138 (previously London United 369), a 'Feltham' tram built in 1930 by the Union Construction Company with EMB bogies. It entered service with Leeds in November 1951.
This rather poor photograph (salvaged from an old negative) shows the tram being unloaded at the ill-fated Middleton Railway Preservation Society site. Like most of the other trams stored here, 517 was vandalised and eventually burned in 1968. However, the bogies were salvaged and are now in use under E1 tram 1622 at Crich.

Photo taken by Paul Haywood, Sunday 26 March 1961, off Garnet Road, Middleton

©1961-2017 Paul Haywood All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.

Show this photo as ...
Grey Scale
Leeds City Transport ...
Fleet Photo Index

Photo ref: ld517. Page and photo added October 2009, last changed 23 November 2012.
Cookie policy