Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.
In 1946 Leeds acquired a tram from Manchester and this was followed by a further six in 1948. On the third track at Roundhay Park is Leeds 281, which had been Manchester 104 and dated from June 1931. The body, seating 40/22 was built by Manchester Tramways Department and was mounted on a Peckham P35 truck.
281 entered service in Leeds in October 1948 and the Peckham P35 truck was replaced in January 1950 by an E.M.B. Hornless truck. It was withdrawn in April 1954 and was burned at Low Fields Road Permanent Way Yard in May 1954.
The third track allowed trams which had turned at Roundhay, to stand without obstructing trams coming from Moortown on the circular route. It was particularly useful on summer weekends when many extras were operated from Briggate to Roundhay.
Photo taken by John Kaye, Sunday 31 May 1953, Roundhay Park, Leeds
©1953-2019 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.