Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.
Seen on the 'Bank curve' in Kirkgate, which was the Corn Exchange terminus for the route from Temple Newsam, 268 was the last Middleton bogie remaining in service. Built in 1935 by English Electric it was 36' 6" long and seated 40/30.
The Middleton bogies were the first Leeds trams which provided a cab and a seat for the driver, although experiments had been carried out with stools which slotted into a fixing on the platform on Horsfields. The Bank which gave its name to the curve was The Yorkshire Penny Bank and part of it can just be seen, along with the sign hanging from the wall.
Photo taken by John Kaye, Sunday 28 April 1957, Kirkgate, Leeds
©1957-2017 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.