Photo © John Kaye. Please do not re-post without permission.
Leeds City Transport 236, FNW727, is seen, whilst in use on learner duties, in the yard at the rear of Bramley Garage in Henconner Lane.
Until early 1949 this had been a tram depot but was converted to a bus garage from late 1949. The end wall of the building was a temporary one, mainly glazed, the original intention having been to extend the tram depot but this did not take place. This area to the rear of the garage was used as additional parking space and buses entered the garage through an opening in the rear wall by means of a ramp, off to the right of the picture. The garage floor level, at the rear of the garage, was about ten feet higher than that of the yard, and the ramp was curved through ninety degrees to take buses from Henconner Lane into the garage. 236 was new in November 1937 and was an A.E.C. O661 Regent with a Roe H31/25R body, one of thirty. It was withdrawn from passenger service in February 1949 and was then operated for the British Electricity Authority on the Skelton Grange Works service from 1949 until 1953, before becoming a learner bus from 1954 until October 1956 and passing to North (dealer), Leeds in December 1956.
Photo taken by John Kaye, Saturday 28 July 1956, Bramley Garage
©1956-2017 John Kaye All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.