Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
Lancaster City Council 33, HHG33, a Leyland PD3/6 with East Lancs H41/31F bodywork, picks up passengers outside the erstwhile Morecambe Station. It had been new in March 1959 to Burnley, Colne and Nelson as their 233.
The four-platform terminal station, which had been built in 1907 for the Midland Railway and which, between 1924 and 1968, had been named Morecambe Promenade before reverting to its original name, closed in 1994 to be replaced by a new two-platform station closer to both the town centre and the junction with the branch to Heysham Port.
The former station building has been preserved and is now an arts and entertainment centre which incorporates Morecambe Tourist Information Centre. It seems a little strange to site a TIC in a former station which was considered to be too inconveniently situated for the majority of its customers although across the road, and just out of shot to the left, the magnificent art-deco Midland Hotel is still very much open for business.
Photo taken by Alan Hall, c.1975, Morecambe Promenade
©1975-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.