SCT '61 Photo Index
Teesside RTB
This index covers the Tees-side Railless Traction Board, TRTB (including TRTB vehicles in service with TMT after it was formed on the 1st April 1968 as an amalgamation of the fleets of TRTB, Middlesbrough Corporation and Stockton Corporation).

More details at Local Transport History Society Histories

Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. BAJ846
Tees-side Railless Traction Board BAJ846, a Leyland Tiger TS8 converted to a tower wagon. New in 1939 with a Willowbrook body and numbered 25.
Photo taken January 1968, South Bank Depot
2. CPT308
A rather poor shot primarily for the overhead outside TRTB's Cargo Fleet Depot. The trolleys from left to right are 7 (CAJ17), 10 (CPY308) and 5 (CAJ15). 5 & 7 were Sunbeam F4 built 1950 with Roe bodies built in 1963-4 while 10 was a 1944 Sunbeam W with Roe body built around 1960.
Photo taken Wednesday 14 August 1968, South Bank Depot
3. CPY287
In 1944 TRTB took delivery of eight new 56-seat Sunbeam S4 trolleybuses, four of which were bodied by Roe and four by Weymann. Car 16, CPY287, was one of the Roe-bodied examples. Originally fitted with wooden seating, it was fitted with upholstered seats by 1949.
Photo taken 1967, South Bank Depot
4. CPY288
Teesside 17, CPY288, a Sunbeam W from 1944 but rebodied by Roe in 1962
Photo taken 1969, South Bank Depot
5. CPY288
Teesside Municipal Transport 17, CPY288, a Sunbeam W from 1944 but rebodied by Roe in the early 1960s.
Photo taken August 1970, South Bank Depot
6. CPY289
Tees-side 18, CPY289, Sunbeam W built in 1944 and rebodied by Roe, H37/28R, in 1961
Photo taken May 1966, Bennett's Corner, South Bank
7. CPY311
Teesside 13, CPY311, a Sunbeam W built in 1944 and rebodied by Roe H37/28R in 1961.
Photo taken 1969, Middlesbrough Road, South Bank
8.
The emblem of the Tees-side Railless Traction Board. The eagle-eyed viewer will spot the all-important hyphen which was the subject of some discussion on the site some months ago.
Photo taken Saturday 29 April 2006, Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum
9. FAJ185
TRTB 52, FAJ185, a Leyland Titan PD2/1 from 1949 with Leyland H30/26R bodywork.
Photo taken January 1968, South Bank Depot
10. FAJ493
TRTB 53 FAJ493, an all Leyland PD2/1 from 1949.
Photo taken August 1967, Marton Road, Middlesbrough
11. FAJ494
Teesside Railless Traction Board 44, FAJ494, a Leyland Titan PD2/1 built in 1949 with Leyland H30/26R bodywork.
Photo taken January 1968, TRTB South Bank depot
12. FET196
Teesside Municipal Transport inherited this Bedford based tower wagon, FET196, from the TRTB trolley system. It was built in 1949 and had been with Rotherham Corporation until the mid 1960s.
Photo taken August 1970, TMT South Bank Depot
13. GAJ11
Teesside trolley 1, GAJ11, a 1950 Sunbeam F4 trolley rebodied by Roe in 1964, seen peeping out of the depot at the 50 year celebrations in November 1969.
Photo taken Sunday 9 November 1969, South Bank Depot
14. GAJ11
TRTB 1, GAJ11, a Sunbeam F4 trolley from 1950 with Roe H35/26R bodywork, heading to Eston via Grangetown, when taken passing the South Bank depot.
Photo taken July 1968, South Bank Depot
15. GAJ11
Tees-side was one of only three trolleybus systems to endure for over 50 years, Bradford and Rotherham being the others. Wearing the uninspiring livery of Teesside Municipal Transport, former TRTB car 1, GAJ11, a Sunbeam S4 dating from 1950, turns at North Ormesby, its blind already changed to show Eston via Grangetown. Originally fitted with East Lancs 56-seat bodies, these trolleys were rebodied to H35/26R by Roe during the early '60s.
Photo taken 1969, Smeaton Street, North Ormesby
16. GAJ12
Teesside Municipal Transport 2, GAJ12, was a Sunbeam F4 with a Roe H35/26R body which was seen at Ormesby. It had been new in 1950 to Tees-side Railless Traction Board with an East Lancs H30/26R body and was rebodied in June 1963, being the last but one of the batch, GAJ 11-17, to be so treated. It passed to Teesside Municipal Transport on its formation on 1st April 1968.
Photo taken Wednesday 31 July 1968, Smeaton Street, North Ormesby
17. GAJ12
TRTB 5, GAJ15, and 2, GAJ12, were both 1950 Sunbeam F4s which originally carried East Lancs bodies but which were re-bodied by Roe (H35/26R) in 1965 and 1964 respectively. They are seen at Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum on their North-East weekend. It had been hoped to operate 5 in service but this wasn't possible.
Photo taken Saturday 29 April 2006, Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum
18. GAJ12
Teesside Municipal Transport 282, GAJ12, is a Sunbeam F4 of 1950, originally with an East Lancashire (Bridlington) body, and rebodied by Roe in 1964.
Photo taken 1971, Miners Arms, Eston
19. GAJ14
Teesside Municipal Transport 4, GAJ14, was a Sunbeam F4 with a Roe H35/26R body which was seen at Ormesby. It had been new in 1950 to Tees-side Railless Traction Board with an East Lancs H30/26R body and was rebodied in June 1963, being the first of the batch, GAJ 11-17, to be so treated.
Photo taken Wednesday 31 July 1968, Smeaton Street, North Ormesby
20. GAJ14
Teesside Municipal Transport 4, GAJ14, was a Sunbeam F4 trolleybus dating from 1950, with Roe H35/26R body dating from 1963.
Photo taken 1968/9, South Bank Depot
21. GAJ15
Teesside Municipal Transport T285, GAJ15, and T286, GAJ16, two of seven Sunbeam F4 trolleybuses built in 1950 and rebodied by Roe between 1962 and 1965.
Photo taken 1970, North Ormesby Terminus
22. GAJ15
Teesside Municipal Transport T285, GAJ15, a Sunbeam F4 trolleybus built in 1950 and rebodied by Roe in 1965, makes the tight reversal into Hampden Street.
Photo taken 1970, North Ormesby Terminus
23. GAJ16
Tees-side Railless Traction Board 6, GAJ16, a Sunbeam F4 built in 1950 and rebodied H35/26R by Roe in 1964. The original body was East Lancashire H30/26R. Seen here in need of a good wash outside the South Bank depot.
Photo taken April 1969, South Bank Depot
24. GAJ17
Teesside Municipal Transport T287, GAJ17, was a Sunbeam F4 of 1950 and rebodied by Roe in 1964.
Photo taken 1970, South Bank Depot
25. GAJ16
Teesside Municipal Transport T286, GAJ16, a Sunbeam F4 from 1953 rebodied by Roe in 1964.
Photo taken September 1970, South Bank Depot
26. PVN51
Teesside Municipal Transport S351, PVN51, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 built in 1957 with Roe Dalesman C41F bodywork.
Photo taken September 1972, behind Swimming Baths, Middlesbrough
27. PVN51
TRTB 51, PVN51, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 built in 1957 with Roe Dalesman C41C bodywork.
Photo taken July 1968, South Bank Depot
28. PVN51
Between 1951 and 1956 TRTB didn't purchase any new vehicles but, in 1957, they received two PD2/20s and a pair of Leyland PSUC1/2s with Roe Dalesman C41C bodies. One of the latter, 51, PVN51, is seen in the depot yard at South Bank.
Photo taken 1967, South Bank Depot
29. SVN24
TRTB 24, SVN24, a Leyland Titan PD2/20 from 1957 with Roe H33/28R bodywork.
Photo taken July 1967, Borough Road, Middlesbrough
30. SVN24
Tees-side Railless Traction Board 24, SVN24, was one of a pair (23-24) of Leyland PD2/27s with Roe H33/28R bodies delivered in 1958. It was fitted with Cave-Brown_Cave heating by September 1962 and is seen here at the Exchange in Middlesbrough. It passed to Teesside Municipal Transport in April 1968.
Photo taken Wednesday 2 August 1967, Middlesbrough Exchange
31. SVN25
Teesside Municipal Transport H225, SVN25, a Leyland Titan PD2/27 built in 1959 with Roe H33/28R bodywork.
Photo taken May 1972, Middlesbrough Exchange
32. SVN26
Teesside Municipal Transport H226, SVN26, was one of a pair (25-26) of Leyland PD2/27s with Roe H33/28R bodies delivered to Teesside Railless Traction Board in 1959. It was fitted with Cave-Brown-Cave heating by September 1962 and passed to Teesside Municipal Transport in April 1968. By the time of this shot at Middlesbrough Exchange it had been fitted with a modified front end structure.
Photo taken Monday 24 April 1972, Middlesbrough Exchange
33. YAJ27
Cleveland Transit H227, YAJ27, a Leyland Titan PD2/27 built in 1961 with Roe H35/28R bodywork, new as TRTB 27.
Photo taken May 1975, Exchange Bus Station, Middlesbrough
34. YAJ27
Teesside Municipal Transport 27, YAJ27, a Leyland Titan PD2/27 built in 1961 with Roe H33/29R bodywork.
Photo taken April 1969, Wood Street, Middlesbrough
35. YAJ28
Teesside Municipal Transport H228, YAJ28, a Leyland Titan PD2/27 from 1961 with Roe H35/28R bodywork.
Photo taken March 1971, Middlesbrough Exchange
36. 329DPY
Teesside Municipal Transport H229, 329DPY, a Leyland Titan PD2A/27 built in 1963 with Roe H33/28R bodywork. This had been new as TRTB 29.
Photo taken February 1972, Middlesbrough Exchange
37. 329DPY
TRTB 29, 329DPY, was a Leyland PD2/27 with Roe H33/28R bodywork, one of three dating from May 1963. All three passed to Teesside Municipal Transport in April 1968.
Photo taken 1967, South Bank Depot
38. CAJ432C
Teesside Municipal Transport 32, CAJ432C, a Leyland Leopard L2 built in 1965 with Roe B45F bodywork.
Photo taken April 1969, South Bank Depot
39. CAJ432C
Teesside Municipal Transport S302, CAJ432C, a Leyland Leopard L2 built in 1965 with Roe B45F bodywork.
Photo taken March 1972, South Bank Depot
40. CAJ434C
TRTB 34, CAJ434C, a Leyland Leopard L2 built 1965 with Roe bodywork.
Photo taken January 1968, South Bank Depot
41. CAJ434C
TRTB's 1965 intake consisted of four Leyland L1s with Roe B45F bodywork equipped for One Man Operation. 34, CAJ434C, of this batch is seen in the depot yard at South Bank. All four buses passed to Teesside Municipal Transport in April 1968 although 34 was subsequently the first of the batch to be withdrawn.
Photo taken 1967, South Bank Depot
42. FVN36D
TRTB's 1966 intake consisted of four Leyland PD2A/27s with Roe H33/28R bodies which arrived in June of that year. 36, FVN36D, was one of this batch all of which passed to Teesside Municipal Transport in April 1968.
Photo taken 1967, South Bank Depot
43. FVN36D
Teesside Municipal Transport 36, FVN36D, a Leyland Titan PD2A/27 built in 1966 with Roe H33/28R bodywork.
Photo taken April 1969, South Bank depot
44. FVN37D
Teesside Railless Traction Board 37, FVN37D, a Leyland Titan PD2A/27 built in 1966 with Roe H33/28R bodywork.
Photo taken January 1968, TRTB depot
45. JVN40E
TRTB 40, JVN40E, a Leyland Titan PD2A/27 from 1967 with Roe H33/28R bodywork.
Photo taken August 1967, Borough Road, Middlesbrough