SCT '61 Photo Index
Teesside Municipal Transport
This index covers Teesside Municipal Transport, TMT, which was formed on the 1st April 1968 as an amalgamation of the fleets of TRTB, Tees-side Railless Traction Board, Middlesbrough Corporation and Stockton Corporation.
Only vehicles delivered new or second-hand after April 1968 are shown here - for views of buses in service with TMT that were new to Middlesbough, Stockton or TRTB, see the index for that operator.

Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. FJF185
Teesside Municipal Transport FJF185 was an all Leyland PD2/1 built in 1949 pressed into service before it had been repainted from its Leicester livery..
Photo taken March 1970, Wilson Street, Middlesbrough
2. FJF186
Teesside Municipal Transport H146, FJF186, an all Leyland Titan PD2/1 from 1949, formerly Leicester 147.
Photo taken May 1970, High Street, Stockton
3. FJF192
Teesside Municipal Transport H148, FJF192, an all Leyland Titan PD2/1 from 1949.
Photo taken July 1970, Middlesbrough Exchange
4. FJF196
Teesside Municipal Transport H149, FJF196, seen at Middlesbrough Exchange was a Leyland PD2/1 with a Leyland H33/29R body which had been acquired from Leicester Corporation 157 in March 1970.
Photo taken Thursday 20 April 1972, Middlesbrough Exchange
5. NRN603
Teesside Municipal Transport acquired twelve Leyland PDR1/1s with Weymann CH34/25F bodies from Standerwick, Blackpool in October/November 1971 and A56, NRN603, is seen in Stockton High Street.
Photo taken Thursday 20 April 1972, Stockton High Street
6. NRN604
Teesside Municipal Transport was formed on the 1st April 1968 by the amalgamation of Middleborough Stockton and Teesside Railless Traction Board. Two years later they bought eleven second hand Leyland Atlanteans from Ribble, former Gay Hostess motorway vehicles with Weymann bodywork. They entered service with bus seats on the lower deck but they retained coach seats in the upper saloon. Seen in a very wet and near deserted Stockton High Street is NRN604 formerly 42 in the Standerwick fleet. It was numbered A57 in the Teesside fleet.
Photo taken 1973, High Street, Stockton
7. NRN610
Teesside Municipal Transport A59, NRN610, a Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1 built in 1960 with Weymann H35/ 34F bodywork.
Photo taken April 1974, Middlesbrough Exchange
8. VFR368
Teesside Municipal Transport A61, VFR368, a Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1 built in 1960 with Weymann bodywork.
Photo taken July 1973, Middlesbrough Exchange
9. VRD183
Teesside Municipal Transport T292 and T288, VRD183 and VRD192, Sunbeam F4A trolleybuses with Burlingham H38/30F bodies new to Reading Corporation in 1961.
Photo taken c. 1970, TMT South Bank Depot
10. VRD184
Teesside Municipal Transport 9, VRD184, a Sunbeam F4A from 1961 with Burlingham H38/30F bodywork.
Photo taken August 1970, TMT South Bank Depot
11. VRD185
Another view of Teesside trolley 10, VRD185, a 1961 Sunbeam F4A with Burlingham front entrance bodywork, new as Reading 185 in 1961, seen at the 50 year celebrations in November 1969
Photo taken Sunday 9 November 1969, Market Street, off Normanby Road wires, South Bank
12. VRD185
Another view of Teesside trolley 10, VRD185, outside South Bank depot, a 1961 Sunbeam F4A with Burlingham front entrance bodywork, new as Reading 185 in 1961, seen at the 50 year celebrations in November 1969
Photo taken Sunday 9 November 1969, TMT South Bank Depot
13. VRD185
A fourth view of Teesside trolley 10, VRD185, a 1961 Sunbeam F4A with Burlingham front entrance bodywork, new as Reading 185 in 1961, seen at the 50 year celebrations in November 1969
Photo taken Sunday 9 November 1969, Whitworth Road, Grangetown Square
14. VRD185
Teesside trolley 10, VRD185, a 1961 Sunbeam F4A with Burlingham front entrance bodywork, new as Reading 185 in 1961, seen at the 50 year celebrations in November 1969
Photo taken Sunday 9 November 1969, Birchington Avenue, Whale Hill, Old Lackenby
15. VRD186
Former Reading 186, VRD186, dated from July 1961 and was one of five Sunbeam F4As with Burlingham H38/30F bodies which were controversially purchased by Teesside Municipal Transport in January 1969. At the last minute TMT tried to pull out of the deal and purchase shorter trolleys from Bournemouth instead but Reading insisted on the deal going through. Their time on Teesside was unhappy, one only seeing three months' use; they suffered from mechanical problems and their extra length made turning at North Ormesby tricky.
Photo taken 1969, Smeaton Street, North Ormesby
16. VRD186
Preserved in the guise of Teesside T291, with commemorative final day lettering, VRD186, a 1961 Burlingham bodied Sunbeam F4A, was new to Reading Corporation as its 186.
Photo taken Saturday 10 June 2006, Black Country Living Museum, Dudley
17. VRD186
Teesside Municipal Transport, T291, VRD186, is the preserved ex-Reading Sunbeam with Burlingham body. It is seen in ex-service condition, during its early stages of preservation.
Photo taken Sunday 13 June 1971, St Leger Bus Rally, Doncaster
18. VRD186
Teesside Municipal Transport T291, VRD186, a 1961 Sunbeam F4A with Burlingham front entrance bodywork adorned with final day lettering for the Teesside system. This bus was originally 186 in the Reading fleet.
Photo taken 1995, Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum
19. JDC119F
Teesside Municipal Transport A19, JDC119F, seen in Stockton High Street was a Leyland PDR1/1 Atlantean with a Park Royal H41/33F body, the first of three new in April 1968, being the balance of the Stockton 1967 order (the others being Panthers VUP905-914F).
Photo taken Thursday 20 April 1972, Stockton High Street
20. MXG233G
Teesside Municipal Transport A33, MXG233G, a Daimler Fleetline CRG6LW built in 1969 with Northern Counties H44/27D bodywork.
Photo taken April 1969, Middlesbrough Exchange
21. SDC139H
The sun was sinking fast when Teesside Municipal Transport's A39, SDC139H, was photographed near Port Clarence on the final approach to the Transporter (North Side) terminus with blinds already changed for the return journey to Billingham (Low Grange) via Cowpen Lane.
Photo taken c.1973, Transporter (North Side), Port Clarence, Stockton
22. SDC144H
Teesside Municipal Transport A44, SDC144H, a Leyland Atlantean PDR1A/1 built in 1970 with Northern Counties H44/27D bodywork.
Photo taken June 1970, High Street, Stockton
23. SDC145H
Cleveland Transit H45, SDC145H, a Leyland Atlantean PDR1A/1 built in 1970 with a Northern Counties H43/31F body from 1984, replacing the original Northern Counties body. This had been new as Teesside Municipal Transport A45.
Photo taken mid 1980s, Newport Road, Middlesbrough
24. SXG48H
Teesside Municipal Transport A48, SXG48H, seen in Stockton High Street was a Leyland PDR1A/1 Atlantean with a Northern Counties H44/27D body, one of fifteen new in 1970.
Photo taken Thursday 20 April 1972, Stockton High Street
25. VXG503J
Cleveland Transit L503, VXG503J, a Daimler Fleetline CRL6 built in 1971 with Northern Counties H43/27D bodywork. This had been new to the short lived Teesside Municipal Transport as their L503.
Photo taken mid 1980s, Middlesbrough Bus Station
26. VXG512J
Cleveland Transit L512, VXG512J, a Daimler Fleetline CRL6 built in 1971 with Northern Counties H43/27D bodywork. Working route 17 to Netherfields via North Ormesby Market Place. This had been new as Teesside Municipal Transport L512.
Photo taken mid 1980s, Newport Road, Middlesbrough
27. VXG518J
Teesside Municipal Transport L518, VXG518J, a Daimler Fleetline CRL6 built in 1971 with Northern Counties H43/27D bodywork.
Photo taken April 1971, Middlesbrough Exchange
28. BXG525K
Teesside Municipal Transport L525, BXG525K, seen at Middlesbrough Exchange was a Daimler CRL6/30 Fleetline with a Northern Counties H43/27D body, one of nineteen new in March-April 1972.
Photo taken Thursday 20 April 1972, Middlesbrough Exchange
29. BXG536K
Teesside Municipal Transport L536, BXG536K, a Daimler Fleetline CRL6-30 built in 1972 with Northern Counties H43/27D bodywork.
Photo taken August 1974, High Street, Stockton
30. JDC544L
Ex-Middlesbrough Corporation Dennis Loline MkI/Northern Counties, JDC599, fleet no. 99 new in 1958 and ex-Tees-side Municipal Transport Daimler Fleetline JDC544L new in 1973 which carried fleet no. L544.
Photo taken September 1998, Duxford