SCT '61 Photo Index
SHMD
SHMD, properly known as the Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Joint Transport Board

Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1.
Part of a portfolio of Thorneycroft pictures acquired years ago and recently found in attic! Thornycroft stamped the back "John Thornycroft and Co Ltd., Thornycroft House, Smith Square, London SW1". Has this vehicle been delivered to SHMD or at the builders ????
2. CTU961
Seen in Hyde is S.H.M.D. CTU961, a Thornycroft Cygnet in use as the staff canteen. When new in 1936 its Northern Counties body had been B36R and it carried number 162. It was converted to a mobile canteen for Hyde Market Place after withdrawal in 1956.
Photo taken Saturday 14 March 1959, Hyde
3. CTU961
A rear view of CTU961 a Thornycroft Cygnet in use as the staff canteen for S.H.M.D. in Hyde. New in 1936 with a Northern Counties B36R body it was numbered 162.
Photo taken Saturday 14 March 1959, Hyde
4. DMB738
A rear view of DMB738, a Daimler COG5 with a Northern Counties B38R body, which was number 178 in the S.H.M.D. fleet and was new in 1937. It is seen in Calder Street adjacent to Lower Mosley Street Bus Station in Manchester.
Photo taken Saturday 7 February 1959, Calder Street, Manchester
5. DMB738
Seen in Calder Street at the side of Lower Mosley Street Bus Station in Manchester is DMB738, a Daimler COG5 with a Northern Counties B38R body, which was number 178 in the S.H.M.D. fleet and was new in 1937.
Photo taken Saturday 7 February 1959, Calder Street, Manchester
6. FTU132
An undated (probably mid-fifties) image of a 1939-vintage S.H.M.D. Daimler COG6, fleet-number 2, reg.no. FTU132. The bus is seen leaving Hamnett Street in Hyde town-centre on the '15' service from Hyde to the Shaw Hall estate in the mill-town's Newton district. The streets around Hyde's market area had to make do as an improvised bus-station until one was built in the early '60s.
Photo taken mid 1950s, Hamnett Street, Hyde
7. GLG933
GLG933 seen inside the garage at Tame Street, Stalybridge was number 13 in the fleet of the S.H.M.D. and was a Daimler COG6 new in 1940, one of ten with Northern Counties H30/26R bodies.
Photo taken Saturday 6 June 1959, Tame Street Garage, Stalybridge
8. HMA527
HMA527 seen outside the garage in Tame Street, Stalybridge was a Daimler CWA6 new in 1944 with a Northern Counties H30/26R body and was number 195 in the S.H.M.D. fleet. One of three (194-196), it was withdrawn in 1960 and sold to Max Speed Transportation (dealer), London for scrap.
Photo taken Saturday 28 February 1959, Tame Street Garage, Stalybridge
9. HMA529
S.H.M.D. 197, HMA529, was a Daimler CWA6 with a Brush H30/26R body new in 1944 which was seen in the Park Road garage in Stalybridge. Withdrawn in 1960 it was sold to Max Speed Transportation (dealer), London for scrap.
Photo taken Saturday 28 February 1959, Park Road Garage, Stalybridge
10. JMB852
S.H.M.D. 23, JMB852, was an 8' 0" wide Daimler CVD6 new in 1947 with a Northern Counties H30/26R body and is seen in Chorlton Street Bus Station in the dark green livery with the silver roof.
Photo taken Saturday 4 June 1960, Chorlton Street Bus Station, Manchester
11. KMA511
S.H.M.D. 41, KMA511, a Daimler CVD6 new in 1948 with a Brush H30/26R body was rebodied, along with the rest of the batch (36-45) in 1954 with a Northern Counties H30/26R body as seen here in Portland Street, Manchester.
Photo taken Wednesday 17 September 1958, Portland Street, Manchester
12. LMA750
S.H.M.D. 50, LMA750, seen in Ashton Bus Station was a Daimler CVD6 with an East Lancs H30/26R body, new in 1949.
Photo taken Saturday 7 August 1965, Ashton Bus Station
13. LMA752
S.H.M.D. 52, LMA752, a Daimler CVD6 with East Lancs H30/26R body is seen on Mersey Way, Stockport approaching Mersey Square.
Photo taken Thursday 26 May 1960, Mersey Way, Stockport
14. LMA754
A rear view, inside the Park Road garage in Stalybridge, of LMA754, one of ten Daimler CVD6s new TO S.H.M.D. in 1949 with East Lancs H30/26R bodies.
Photo taken Saturday 28 February 1959, Park Road Garage, Stalybridge
15.
SHMD crest
16. MMA57
One of S.H.M.D.'s single-decker Northern Counties bodied Daimlers, 57, MMA57, parked in Hamnett Street, Hyde next to the store building that once housed the town's Woolworth's store. Until a bus station was built in the early '60s, this street allowed buses to enter the town's central market area or to leave it (as with this service to 'Walker Fold') for the suburbs.
Photo taken mid 1950s, Hamnett Street, Hyde
17. MMA58
MMA58 was number 58 in the fleet of the S.H.M.D. and was a Daimler CVD6 with a Northern Counties B35R body, one of five new in 1950.
Photo taken Saturday 14 March 1959, St. Michael's Square, Ashton
18. OMB161
SHMD Joint Board number 61, OMB161, a 1952 Daimler CVD6 with Northern Counties body. Withdrawn 1971 and subsequently preserved and seen here at Greenfield Paper Mill. This bus still survives in the Chippenham area but apparently in an extremely poor condition.
Photo taken October 1971, Greenfield, Saddleworth
19. OMB161
SHMD 61, OMB161, is a fine preserved Daimler CVD6DD with a Northern Counties H36/28R body dating from 1952, seen here taking part in the 1976 Trans-Pennine Rally.
Photo taken August 1976, Trans-Pennine Rally, Otley
20. OMB161
Left is an unidentified SHMD Northern Counties-bodied Leyland PD2/40 while centre is SHMD 61, OMB161, a Daimler CVD6DD with a Northern Counties H36/28R dating from 1952; this bus was subsequently preserved but its current state is in doubt. On the right is SHMD 96, 696GTU, a Daimler CSG6DD with a Northern Counties H36/28R body dating from 1959.
Photo taken 1967, Tame Street Garage, Stalybridge
21. PLG967
S.H.M.D. 67, PLG967, a Daimler G6HS Freeline with a Northern Counties B34+27C standee body new in 1953 seen at St. Michaels' Square, Ashton.
Photo taken Saturday 14 March 1959, St. Michael's Square, Ashton
22. PLG967
A more unusual interior from SHMD here, an interior view of their solitary Freeline. This was new as 67, PLG967, but renumbered 105 when all the single-deckers were grouped together. It was a Daimler Freeline G6H with a Northern Counties B34+26C body. Standing passengers occupied the area to the right, opposite the entrance - what looks like a seat there is just a reflection in the partition glazing. This bus also features standee windows. New in 1953 it was withdrawn in 1969, before this photo was taken.
Photo taken Sunday 30 August 1970, Tame Street Garage, Stalybridge
23. SMA869
S.H.M.D. 69, SMA869, seen at St. Michaels' Square, Ashton, was an Atkinson PL746H with a Northern Counties B34+27C standee body, one of two new in 1954.
Photo taken Saturday 14 March 1959, St. Michael's Square, Ashton
24. SMS868
S.H.M.D. 68, SMA868, one of two new in 1954, seen at St. Michaels' Square, Ashton, was an Atkinson PL746H with a Northern Counties B34+27C standee body.
Photo taken Saturday 14 March 1959, St. Michael's Square, Ashton
25. UMA370
S.H.M.D. 70, UMA370, the solitary Atkinson PD746 double decker with Northern Counties H35/25C body in George Street, Manchester adjacent to Piccadilly Gardens.
Photo taken Wednesday 29 January 1958, George Street, Manchester
26. UMA370
Preserved S.H.M.D. 70, UMA370, the solitary Atkinson PD746 double decker with Northern Counties H35/25C body
Photo taken Mancheater Museum of Transport
27. 993GMA
SHMD's last Atkinsons were front entrance but still had standee bodies. In this case the front rows of seats were just single seats with normal seating further back. This is a view inside 110, 993GMA, an Atkinson PL746H with Northern Counties B34F body, reseated in 1967 to B41F. It was numbered 93 when new but renumbered in 1961.
Photo taken Sunday 4 April 1971, Tame Street Garage, Stalybridge
28. UMA370
Atkinson only produced one double deck chassis for the home market. This was bodied by Northern Counties for SHMD as their 70 UMA370 in 1955 It was one of their last centre entrance buses, indeed it was one of the last centre entrance buses built for the UK market
Photo taken Saturday 4 December 2010, Manchester Museum of Transport
29. VTU72
SHMD 72, VTU72, was one of six Daimler CVG6/Northern Counties H35/23C vehicles new in 1956 seen in Manchester Piccadilly Bus Station
Photo taken Wednesday 29 January 1958, Piccadilly Bus Station, Manchester
30. VTU76
SHMD Board 76, VTU76, a 1956 Daimler CVG6 with a Northern Counties H35/23C body at Dalton Lane Campus during the Keighley Bus Museum Running Day in July 2013
Photo taken Sunday 7 July 2013, Dalton Lane, Keighley
31. VTU76
One of the more unusual buses to be seen at the Southend Transport garage was VTU76. It is a former Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley & Dukinfield Electricity and Transport Joint Board Daimler CVG6DD with characteristic centre-entrance NCME body, new in 1956.
Photo taken London Road Garage, Southend
32. VTU76
SHMD 76, VTU76, a Daimler CVG6DD with centre-entrance NCME body, new in 1956, in serious trouble.
33. VTU76
SHMD were the last operator to specify the use of centre entrances on their double deckers, the last of which were delivered in 1956. One example of the batch has been preserved in the shape of 76, VTU76, a Daimler CVG6 with Northern Counties body.
Photo taken 1996, Keighley
34. XLG478
S.H.M.D. 78, XLG478, was an Atkinson PL746H with a Northern Counties B34+27C standee body and was seen at Tame Street, Stalybridge outside the garage. It was one of two new in 1956.
Photo taken Saturday 28 February 1959, Tame Street Garage, Stalybridge
35. XLG478
SHMD 109, XLG478, an Atkinson PL746H with Northern Counties B34+27CD body, one of two new in 1956.
Photo taken 1967, Tame Street Garage, Stalybridge
36. 279ATU
S.H.M.D. 79. 279ATU, was a Daimler CVG6, one of six new in 1957, with a Northern Counties H33/28R body and is seen at Lower Mosley Street Bus Station in Manchester.
Photo taken Sunday 1 February 1959, Lower Mosley Street Bus Station, Manchester
37. 280ATU
The SHMD Board bought six Northern Counties bodied Daimler CVG6s in 1957. Seen in Hyde bus station is SHMD 80, 280ATU.
Photo taken Thursday 23 July 1970, Hyde Bus Station
38. 281ATU
Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Joint Transport Board (SHMD) 81, 281ATU, a Daimler CVG6/Northern Counties H36/28R, new in August 1957, in Manchester (L.M.S.) Bus Station on the service to Glossop operated jointly by Ashton and Manchester Corporations, North Western and S.H.M.D.
Photo taken Saturday 16 May 1959, Lower Mosley Street Bus Station, Manchester
39. 88ETU
I thought it might be worth illustrating the use of Parker Street Bus Station on a destination blind well after you would have expected it to stop. SELNEC PD2 5688, 88ETU, originally 88 in the SHMD fleet, is in Hyde bus station in September 1972 working a service which only commenced operation well after it became known as Piccadilly, the 208 being a service to the overspill estate at Hattersley as shown by Manchester PD2 3656, 9856NA, heading the other way.
Photo taken Friday 1 September 1972, Hyde Bus Station
40. 88ETU
SELNEC Southern 5688, 88ETU, aLeyland Titan PD2/40 built in 1958 with Northern Counties H36/28R bodywork. This had been new as SHMD 88.
Photo taken April 1973, Tame Street, Stalybridge
41. 90ETU
SHMD 90, 90ETU, a 1958 Leyland Titan PD2/40 with Northern Counties body
Photo taken August 1970, Hyde Bus Station
42. 696GTU
Left is an unidentified SHMD Northern Counties-bodied Leyland PD2/40 while centre is SHMD 61, OMB161, a Daimler CVD6DD with a Northern Counties H36/28R dating from 1952; this bus was subsequently preserved but its current state is in doubt. On the right is SHMD 96, 696GTU, a Daimler CSG6DD with a Northern Counties H36/28R body dating from 1959.
Photo taken 1967, Tame Street Garage, Stalybridge
43. 697GTU
A lower saloon interior view of SHMD 97, 697GTU, one of two Daimler CSG6s with Northern Counties bodies which seemed to spend as much time on driver training as anything else. This shows the effect inside associated with Northern Counties' standee windows.
Photo taken Tuesday 4 July 1972, Tame Street Garage, Stalybridge
44. 994GMA
SHMD 94, 994GMA an Atkinson PL746H with Northern Counties B34F body, new in 1959, seen in Ashton Bus Station. Note the “standee” windows. Again after formation of the PTE, but the bus shows no sign of it.
Photo taken Ashton Bus Station
45. 995GMA
Seen in St. Michael's Square, Ashton is S.H.M.D. 95, 995GMA, one of three new in 1959. It was an Atkinson PL746H with a Northern Counties B34+26F standee body.
Photo taken Saturday 6 June 1959, St. Michael's Square, Ashton
46. 101UTU
SHMD PD2 1, 101UTU, a Northern Counties bodied Leyland PD2/37 at Ashton Bus Station. This is after the formation of the PTE, although the bus is still in SHMD livery and does not even carry its PTE fleet number.
Photo taken Ashton Bus Station
47. 104UTU
SELNEC Southern 5604, 104UTU, a Leyland Titan PD2/37 built 1962 with Northern Counties H36/28F bodywork, new as SHMD 4.
Photo taken April 1973, Ashton Bus Station
48. ATU407B
SHMD Daimler CVG6 7, ATU407B, with Northern Counties H36/28F body in Ashton Bus Station. Again after formation of the PTE, but the bus shows no sign of it.
Photo taken Ashton Bus Station
49. ATU410B
SHMD 10, ATU410B, a Daimler CVG6 built in 1964 with Northern Counties H36/28F bodywork.
Photo taken October 1969, Bus station, Ashton under Lyne
50. GTU114C
SHMD bought their first rear engined buses in 1965, 14 GTU114C is a Daimler Fleetline with Northern Counties bodywork.
Photo taken 1975, Piccadilly, Manchester
51. WMA114E
SELNEC Southern 5074, WMA114E, a Bristol RESL6G built 1967 with Northern Counties B43F bodywork. This had been new as SHMD 114.
Photo taken April 1975, Ashton Bus Station
52. YLG717F
Seen undergoing restoration in one of the hangers at Hooton Park is former SHMD 117, YLG717F, a Bristol RESL with Northern Counties B43F body dating from 1967, one of 6 delivered to SHMD.
Photo taken Sunday 28 May 2017, Hooton Park
53. YLG717F
YLG717F, a 1967 Bristol RESL6G/NCME B45F originally SHMD 117 then SELNEC/GMT 5077.
Photo taken Wednesday 18 May 1983, Davenport, Stockport
54. ELG39F
SELNEC Southern 5639, ELG39F, a Daimler Fleetline CRG6LX built in 1968 with Northern Counties H41/27D bodywork. Looking very like a Walsall escapee, this was one from a batch of 10 new to SHMD (as 39) with 27' 6" length.
Photo taken April 1973, Ashton Bus Station
55. ELG45F
After a year with Bristol RESL purchases, SHMD returned to double-deckers in 1968 with 38-47, ELG38F etc albeit with smaller Gardner 6LW engines. ELG45F is still in traditional colours almost four years after transfer to SELNEC Southern Division as 5645 in November 1969.
Photo taken Friday 17 August 1973, Portland Street, approaching Piccadilly Bus Station, Manchester