SCT '61 Photo Index
Red Rover
Red Rover of Aylesbury and Keith Coaches who took over Red Rover in 1956

Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. CST671
Keith Coaches (Red Rover), Aylesbury acquired CST671, a Crossley DD42/5 with Roe L27/26R body new in 1948, from Todd, Whitchurch in May 1961.
Photo taken Sunday 7 April 1963, Aylesbury
2. ROD765
ROD765 proved to be a survivor. When new to Devon General in February 1956, it was an early example of the AEC Regent V MD3RV, with the smaller 7.7 litre engine (Chassis No. 036).
Photo taken Saturday 15 June 1974, Red Rover Garage, Aylesbury
3. 418SPP
418SPP and 83VPP, a pair of AEC Reliance coaches with Harrington Cavalier C41F bodies, operated by Keith Coaches of Aylesbury. 418SPP was new in April 1961, 83VPP in December 1961.
Photo taken Wednesday 7 August 1963, Seaway Car Park, Southend
4. 8626DT
Red Rover of Aylesbury supplemented new purchases with astute second hand acquisitions. 8626DT was a 45 seat Roe bodied AEC Reliance 2MU3RV, which had been new to Doncaster Corporation in November 1961.
Photo taken Saturday 15 June 1974, outside Aylesbury Bus Station
5. 27WKX
These two Park Royal/AEC Bridgemasters were both bought new by Red Rover of Aylesbury. 27WKX came first in 4/62 and was a B3RA model with H45/31R body. It represents the standard form of the first style of production Bridgemaster. 6116BH arrived in 2/63 and represents the second iteration of the Bridgemaster as an H43/29F bodied 2B3RA.
Photo taken Saturday 15 June 1974, Red Rover Garage, Aylesbury
6. 6116BH
I possibly did not choose the best day to visit Bletchley Self Drive's premises in Milton Keynes. 6116BH is a PRV-AEC Bridgemaster, which had been new to Red Rover of Aylesbury in 2/63, as a diverted order from Baxter's of Airdrie - unwanted by Eastern Scottish when they acquired the Baxter business.
Photo taken Saturday 17 March 1979, Bletchley Self Drive premises, Milton Keynes
7. 6116BH
These two Park Royal/AEC Bridgemasters were both bought new by Red Rover of Aylesbury. 27WKX came first in 4/62 and was a B3RA model with H45/31R body. It represents the standard form of the first style of production Bridgemaster. 6116BH arrived in 2/63 and represents the second iteration of the Bridgemaster as an H43/29F bodied 2B3RA.
Photo taken Saturday 15 June 1974, Red Rover Garage, Aylesbury
8. DPP990B
From 1955, Keith Garages was the owner of Red Rover Omnibus Ltd., of Aylesbury. Red Rover had built up a network of bus services in and around the town, after relocating from London in the run up to the 1933 formation of the London Passenger Transport Board. They were noted for buying new buses, including double deckers. DPP990B was a standard H42/32F Park Royal bodied AEC Renown 3B3RA bought new in 12/64.
Photo taken Monday 25 June 1973, Aylesbury
9. EPH189B
Red Rover of Aylesbury had bought EPH189B from Safeguard of Guildford by May 1974.
Photo taken Saturday 14 May 1977, Aylesbury
10. DAU369C
Red Rover took a liking to former City of Nottingham Transport vehicles in the mid-1970s. DAU369C was one of five 1965 full height Weymann H40/30F bodied AEC 3B3RA Renowns, which moved from Nottingham to Aylesbury and served Red Rover well.
Photo taken Saturday 14 May 1977, Aylesbury
11. DAU369C
Five years after I first photographed DAU369C with Red Rover of Aylesbury, it had been repainted into this modernised version of Red Rover livery, which took cues from that applied by Nottingham to Leyland National GAU727L (also acquired by Red Rover).
Photo taken 1982
12. DAU372C
This May 1977 garage yard photograph shows one of the five AEC 3B3RA Renowns with Weymann H40/30F bodies, DAU372C, acquired by Red Rover of Aylesbury from City of Nottingham Transport. This one arrived in December 1976.
Photo taken Saturday 14 May 1977, Red Rover Garage, Aylesbury
13. DAU435C
As well as five City of Nottingham AEC Renowns, Red Rover of Aylesbury added DAU435C, a Metro-Cammell H44/33F bodied Leyland Atlantean PDR1/2 to its fleet.
Photo taken Sunday 29 April 1979, Red Rover Garage, Aylesbury
14. JPP11C
Shown emerging from Aylesbury's depressingly dark Bus Station in June 1973, JPP11C is an AEC Reliance 2U3RA with a Marshall Camagna B53F body bought new by Red Rover in July 1965.
Photo taken Monday 25 June 1973, outside Aylesbury Bus Station
15. XBF55F
XBH55F was the first of two Willowbrook DP49F bodied AEC Swifts to take to the road with Red Rover of Aylesbury, entering service in August 1967.
Photo taken Saturday 15 June 1974, Aylesbury
16. EPP59G
An unusual choice by Red Rover was a pair of AEC Swifts fitted with coach seats for dual purpose use. EPP59G was the second of the pair, being new in June 1968.
Photo taken Saturday 15 June 1974, outside Aylesbury Bus Station