SCT '61 Photo Index
Preston Corporation
Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. CK4649
Preston 76, CK4649, new in July 1932, was a County Borough of Preston Travelling Library when seen here in Preston. It was a Leyland LT5 Lion which had an English Electric B32R body (re-seated to B28R from January 1942 until 1946), before its role seen here, for which it was converted in August 1948.
Photo taken Monday 26 August 1963, Lancaster Road, Preston
2. ARN394
Samuel Ledgard ARN394, a Leyland Titan PD1A with Alexander H32/26R body, new in 1946 to Preston Corporation (52) and acquired by Ledgard in 1961.
Photo taken October 1967, Otley Bus Station
3. CRN79
Preston was very much a double deck operator prior to the advent of one man operation. In post war years just two Leyland Tiger PS1 chassis were run and suprisingly both are still in existence. 74, CRN79, and 75, CRN80, both carry rear entrance East Lancs bodywork.
Photo taken Sunday 24 April 2011, Brough
4. CRN79
A rear view of Preston 74, CRN79, an East Lancs bodied Leyland Tiger PS1 dating from 1947.
Photo taken Sunday 24 April 2011, Brough
5. CRN80
Cumbria Classic Coaches operates "Rosie", former Preston 75, CRN80, a Leyland PS1 with an East Lancs (Bridlington) B34R body of 1946.
Photo taken Friday 4 July 2003, A1, Leeming Bar Services
6. CRN80
CRN80 is a Leyland PS1 with East Lancs B34R bodywork. It was built for Preston Corporation in 1946 and commissioned by them in June 1949. It was withdrawn by Preston in 1968 and preserved by three consecutive enthusiasts over the next ten years. Between 1978 and 1999 it was stored in a garage at Leyland before being bought by Cumbria Classic Coaches.
Photo taken c.2007, West End, Hawes
7. CRN80
Cumbria Classic Coaches ex Preston Corporation 75, CRN80, a 1946 Leyland Tiger PS1 with an East Lancs B34R body at Brough during the Brough & Kirkby Stephen Rally following it's recent starring role in 'Call the Midwife'.
Photo taken Saturday 19 April 2014, Brough
8. BCK621
Samuel Ledgard BCK621, a Leyland PD1A with Leyland H32/26R body, new in 1947 and bought by Samuel Ledgard in 1961 from Preston Corporation
Photo taken Saturday 12 August 1967, Ledgard Otley Depot
9. BCK621
Acquired by Ledgard, Armley in 1961 from Preston where it had been number 71, BCK621, which was a Leyland PD1 new in 1947 with a Leyland H30/26R, later modified to H32/26R body, is seen behind Otley garage.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Otley Garage
10. BCK621
Ledgard's ex-Preston all-Leyland PD1A BCK621, taken in 1966 passing the (still extant) Post Office on Nelson Street, Otley. It was new in 1947 and bought by Samuel Ledgard in 1961.
Photo taken 1966, Nelson Street, Otley
11. BCK628
Preston 94, BCK628, a Leyland PD1A with a Leyland H30/26R body, new in May 1947, is seen in the old chocolate and cream livery at the garage, in Deepdale Road, on an Omnibus Touring Circle weekend visit to Lancashire.
Photo taken Sunday 10 September 1967, Preston Garage, Deepdale Road
12. BCK633
Samuel Ledgard BCK633, a Leyland PD1A with Leyland H32/26R body, new in 1947 and bought by Samuel Ledgard in 1961 from Preston Corporation and behind BCK421, identical spec to BCK633 but ex-Ribble, also in 1947
Photo taken Saturday 1 July 1967, Otley
13. BCK633
BCK633 was a Leyland PD1 new in 1947, and was acquired by Ledgard, Armley in 1961 from Preston, where it had been number 99. It had a Samlesbury  H30/26R body (built under sub-contract from Leyland), later modified to H32/26R and is seen behind Otley garage alongside ARN393 and BCK415, together with LAE12 which had an Eastern Coachworks body.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Otley Garage
14. BCK938
Acquired in March 1959 from Preston where it had been numbered 105, Barton, Chilwell 807, BCK938, was a Leyland PD1A with a Leyland L27/26R body new in 1947.
Photo taken Saturday 6 October 1962, Mount Street, Nottingham
15. CRN80
Preston 75, CRN80, seen here at the Preston garage in Deepdale Road, was a Leyland PS1 with an East Lancs (Bridlington) B35R body, the second of two new in 1949, although they had 1946 chassis which had been stored.
Photo taken Sunday 10 September 1967, Preston Garage, Deepdale Road
16. DRN292
Preston Corporation Leylands 82, HRN488, a PD2/10 with Metro-Cammell H62R body built in 1955 alongside 109, DRN292, a PD2/1 with Leyland 56 seat body built 5 years earlier.
Photo taken Birley Street, Preston
17. DRN307
Preston Corporation 124, DRN307, was a Leyland PD2/1 with a Leyland H30/26R body, one of sixteen new in 1951 and is seen in Preston Bus Station.
Photo taken Saturday 15 April 1972, Preston Bus Station
18. DRN308
Preston Corporation 125, DRN308 was a Leyland Titan PD2/1 with Leyland H56R body, built in 1951.
Photo taken Wednesday 17 September 1975, Fleetwood, by the tram terminus
19. PRN761
Former Preston 2, PRN761, now owned by Dreadnought coaches of Alnwick. It started life with Preston in 1952 as a Leyland PD2/10 with Leyland L55R body, registration ECK509, but was rebuilt by Preston Corporation in 1961 to PD3/6 with a front entrance H38/32F body - a rarity, a 7'6" wide PD3.
Photo taken Wednesday 20 May 2009, Greenwell Road, Alnwick
20. FCK453F
Preston Corporation 59, FCK453F, was the last of the eight Leyland PD2s which Preston rebuilt. New in March 1954 as 59, FRN739, a Leyland PD2/10 with a Leyland H30/28R body, it had been rebuilt in the Corporation workshops to PD3/6 specification and the seating changed to H38/32F, entering service in September 1967.
Photo taken Saturday 15 April 1972, Preston Bus Station
21. FCK453F
Seen at the Preston garage in Deepdale Road is FCK453F which was the last of the Preston rebuilds. It was new in 1954 as FRN739, a Leyland PD2/10 numbered 59, with a Leyland H30/26R body.
Photo taken Sunday 10 September 1967, Preston Garage, Deepdale Road
22. FRN736
Preston Corporation Leyland Titan PD2/10 53, FRN736, dates from 1954 and carries Leyland bodywork
Photo taken August 1973, Preston Bus Station
23. PRN762
Preston Corporation 10, PRN762, was originally a Leyland PD2/10 new in 1954 as number 10, FRN 732, with a Leyland L27/28R body. It had been rebuilt in the Corporation workshops to PD3/6 specification and the seating changed to H38/32F, entering service in February 1962.
Photo taken Saturday 15 April 1972, Preston Bus Station
24. HRN487
Seen outside the garage, in Deepdale Road, are Preston 43, ECK503, and 81, HRN487, in two experimental versions of the new livery, neither of which were adopted.
Photo taken Sunday 10 September 1967, Preston Garage, Deepdale Road
25. HRN488
Preston Corporation Leylands 82, HRN488, a PD2/10 with Metro-Cammell H62R body built in 1955 alongside 109, DRN292, a PD2/1 with Leyland 56 seat body built 5 years earlier.
Photo taken Birley Street, Preston
26. MCK299
Preston Corporation put seven new buses into service in December 1958 and 68, MCK299, seen in Preston Bus Station was the last of them. They were Leyland PD3/5s with Metro-Cammell H40/32F bodies.
Photo taken Saturday 15 April 1972, Preston Bus Station
27. NCK741
Preston 9, NCK741, a Leyland Titan PD3/6 rebuilt in 1959 with Leyland/Preston CT H41/32F bodywork. Formerly registered FRN731 and an all Leyland PD2/10 from 1954.
Photo taken September 1971, Preston Bus Station
28. PRN761
Preston 2, PRN761, one of the Leyland PD2/10s with Leyland L27/26R bodywork rebuilt to PD3/6 standards and converted to H38/32F seen here at the garage. It had been new in 1952 as ECK509 and was rebuilt in 1961 retaining its original fleet number.
Photo taken Sunday 18 April 1971, Preston
29. PRN908
Preston 16, PRN908, a 1961 Leyland Titan PD3/4 with Metro Cammell front entrance body
Photo taken August 1973, Preston Bus Station
30. PRN910
Preston Corporation 18, PRN910, seen in Preston Bus Station, was one of seven Leyland PD3/4s with Metro-Cammell H39/31F bodies new in October 1961.
Photo taken Saturday 15 April 1972, Preston Bus Station
31. TRN386
Preston Corporation 84, TRN386, a 1963 Leyland Titan PD3A/1 with front entrance Metro Cammell bodywork.
Photo taken 1977, Lancaster Road, Preston
32. TRN390
Preston Corporation 88, TRN390, one of seven new in November 1963, was a Leyland PD3A/1 with a Metro-Cammell H39/31F body and is seen in Preston Bus Station.
Photo taken Saturday 15 April 1972, Preston Bus Station
33. ARN657C
Taylor Woodrow ARN657C, a Leyland Titan PD3A/1 built in 1965 with Metro-Cammell H39/31F bodywork.
Photo taken September 1981, Heysham
34. ARN658C
Preston 73, ARN658C, a 1965 Leyland Titan PD3A/1 with front entrance Metro Cammell bodywork reverses out of Preston bus station on a baking hot day in August 1973.
Photo taken Wednesday 22 August 1973, Preston Bus Station
35. BCK367C
Preston Corporation re-built four Leyland bodied PD2s to PD3 spec, extending the original bodies thereby creating a Leyland H38/32F bodied PD3/6, rare beasts indeed. 61, BCK367C, appeared in 1967 and is seen in the bus station.
Photo taken early 1970s, Central Bus Station, Preston
36. FCK453F
A rear view of the last of the eight Preston rebuilds from PD2/10 to PD3/6 in Preston Bus Station shows the increasing width from top (7' 6") to bottom (8' 0"). FCK453F was previously H30/26R, becoming H38/32F as a result of the rebuild.
Photo taken Saturday 15 April 1972, Preston Bus Station
37. FCK453F
Seen at Wembley Stadium with Downtown Restaurants, London S.E.16 is one of the variable width ex-Preston Corporation buses, still carrying its Preston fleet number 59. FCK453F started life in 1954 as FRN739, a Leyland PD2/10 with a Leyland H30/26R body and was rebuilt by Preston to 30 feet long and converted to front entrance with the seating capacity of H38/32F.
Photo taken Saturday 9 August 1980, Wembley Stadium
38. HCK204G
Seen at this years Kirkby Stephen rally is Preston 204, HCK204G, a Leyland Panther PSUR1A/1with MCW bodywork. This preserved bus was making its debut on the rally scene. Preston were one of Leyland's loyalist customers for the unpopular Panther chassis.
Photo taken Sunday 31 March 2013, Brough
39. KRN221H
Isle of Man Passenger Transport Board 7, C58MAN, a Leyland Panther PSUR1A/1R built in 1970 with Marshall B49D bodywork. New as Preston 221, KRN221H, and this had an unladen weight of 8466Kg.
Photo taken July 1985, Station Yard, Port Erin
40. KRN221H
New as Preston 221, KRN221H, in 1970 and having spent some time in the Isle of Man, this Leyland Panther PSUR1A/1R with Marshall B49D bodywork later returned to the mainland and spent some time operating for deregulation era Manchester independent Citibus.
Photo taken c.1988, Piccadilly, Manchester
41. MCK227J
Isle of Man Passenger Transport Board 11, W854MAN, a Leyland Panther PSUR1B/1R built in 1970 with Pennine B48D bodywork.
Photo taken July 1985, Douglas Bus Station
42. AUE309J
Preston 237, AUE309J, one of a batch of Marshall Camair bodied Leyland Panther buses ordered by Stratford Blue but delivered to Midland Red who sold them unused. Note Preston's use of letters instead of route numbers.
Photo taken July 1973, Preston Bus Station
43. AUE310J
Preston were quick to snap up a batch of Marshall bodied Leyland Panthers that came to Midland Red from an order placed by associate company Stratford Blue in 1971. Seen amid the concrete brutalism of Preston's famous bus station is Preston 238, AUE310J.
Photo taken Wednesday 22 August 1973, Preston Bus Station
44. AUE313J
This is the rather restricted view a party of enthusiasts had of Preston 234, AUE313J, when visiting the depot on 17th October 1971, having arrived there in Blackburn Guy Arab III 131. These buses were freshly painted in Preston livery and had yet to enter service.
Photo taken Sunday 17 October 1971, Preston Depot
45. RTF431L
New to Preston in 1972 as their 231, RTF431L, this was one of the last Leyland Panthers built; it carries a Seddon body.
Photo taken 1986, Douglas Station, Isle of Man
46. RTF434L
An earlier shot of a Seddon bodied Leyland Panther in service with Preston shows 234, RTF434L, of 1972 in Preston town centre.
Photo taken Friday 25 March 1977, Fishergate, Preston
47. RTF435L
Preston persevered with the Leyland Panther for far longer than most buyers of the chassis. They bought their first examples in 1968 and one of the last operators to take delivery of some when a batch with Seddon Pennine body entered service in 1972. Delivered to Preston as their 235, RTF435L, this example lasted long enough to run in the early days of deregulation.
Photo taken Thursday 18 September 1986, Piccadilly, Manchester