SCT '61 Photo Index
Merthyr Tydfil Corporation
More details at Local Transport History Society Histories

Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. GFJ50
Three Merthyr Daimlers, with 78, GFJ50, in the front, a Daimler CWA6 with Duple H30/26R body new to Exeter in 1944, one of seven bought by Merthyr in 1955.
Photo taken Merthyr Depot (?)
2. HB6260
Merthyr single decker 1, HB6260, a Bristol L5G with ECW B35R body new in 1947
Photo taken Merthyr depot (?)
3. HB6580
Merthyr double decker 48, HB6580, probably at Merthyr depot. This was part of a batch of six new in 1948, Foden PVD6 with Welsh Metal Industries H30/26R bodies. Behind is 37, HB6015, a 1945 Bristol K6A with Park Royal body.
Photo taken 1950s
4. HB6587
Merthyr Tydfil 5, HB6643, a Bristol K6G with Davies H30/26R body, and 26, HB6587, a K6G with Duple H30/26R body.
Photo taken 1967, Merthyr Tydfil Depot yard
5. HB6641
Merthyr 59, Bristol double decker HB6641, a Bristol K6G with Davies H30/26R body new in 1948 but with the look of a utility body with improvements to the windows.
Photo taken Nantygwenith Road
6. EO8896
Merthyr Tydfil 128, EO8896, was a Leyland PD2/3 with Park Royal body new to Barrow-in-Furness in 1949 and sold to Merthyr in 1961. To the right was 46, HB6186, a Bristol K6A with a utilitarian-looking Duple body of 1946.
Photo taken 1965, Merthyr Tydfil Depot yard
7. HB7145
Merthyr 60, HB7145, a Dennis Lancet single decker with Davies B35R body new in 1951. Another of the rebodied ex-Exeter Daimlers, GFJ51 is visible on the left.
Photo taken Merthyr depot (?)
8. HB7162
One of many treats to be found amongst the superannuated Mid Wales Motorways fleet in Welshpool. The vehicle shown is HB7162, a Dennis chassis with Davies bodywork, new to Merthyr Tydfil Borough Council in the 1951 she was one of several vehicles acquired by MWMC from MTBC (including HB7145, HB7164 & HB7154) in 1962.
Photo taken Sunday 11 August 1963, Welshpool
9. HB7165
One of many treats to be found amongst the superannuated Mid Wales Motorways fleet in Welshpool. The vehicle shown is the Company tow-truck HB7165, a Dennis chassis, new to Merthyr Tydfil Borough Council in the 1951 she was one of several vehicles acquired by MWMC from MTBC (including HB7145, HB7162 & HB7164) in 1962.
Photo taken Sunday 11 August 1963, Welshpool
10. HB8802
By the time of this photograph, Merthyr Tydfil's operational fleets double-deck stock was all PD3s, but a solitary PD2 still survived on driver training duties. This was 87, HB8802, a Leyland Titan PD2/12 with Park Royal H33/28R bodywork.
Photo taken Monday 8 July 1974, Merthyr Bus Station
11. HB9841
Merthyr Tydfil 105, HB9841, a 1958 Leyland Titan PD3/4 with East Lancs H41/32RD body is seen in service with Lancaster in 1976 as their 841. The bus was bought as a driver trainer but is seen here in service.
Photo taken August 1976, Battery Hotel, Morecambe
12. BHB338C
Merthyr Tydfil standardised on Leyland Leopards with East Lancs bodies in the sixties and seventies. A 1965 example 138, BHB338C, was a Leyland Leopard L1 with 45 seat East Lancs body, seen here after sale to Paton Brothers of Renfrew in their depot yard at Renfrew Ferry.
Photo taken 1978, Paton's Depot, Tower Garage, Ferry Road, Renfrew
13. CHB408D
CHB408D, ex Merthyr Tydfil 1966 Leyland PD3/4 with East Lancs H73F body found its way to Silver Fox Coaches and is seen here at Glasgow's dockland with previously riverside sheds and the Kingston Bridge in the background.
Photo taken Friday 22 July 1977, Glasgow Docks
14. CHB409D
Merthyr switched to front entrance East Lancs bodied Titans from 1964 having previously purchased rear entrance examples from 1958. Seen in the depot is 144, CHB409D, a 1966 Leyland Titan PD3/4 one of the last batch bought by Merthyr who switched to saloons for all future deliveries
Photo taken c.1970, Merthyr Tydfil Depot
15. CHB409D
Northumbria MS 75 CHB409D Leyland Titan PD3/4 built in 1966 with East Lancashire H41/32F bodywork. This had been new as Merthyr Tydfil 144 and was a venerable 22 years old.
Photo taken August 1988, Prudhoe Place/Percy Street, Newcastle
16. GHB176J
Merthyr Tydfil 176, GHB176J, a 1971 Leyland Leopard PSU3A/2 with East Lancs 51 seat body is seen in York after sale to Gent Walker who traded as Acomb Link and ran from York to Acomb, a York suburb.
Photo taken 1989, George Hudson Street, York
17. HHB181K
Merthyr Tydfil switched to saloons for all new deliveries from 1967. Initially the Leyland Leopard was the chassis of choice all, with East Lancs bodywork of varying styles. Later they would try the RE and MCW-Scania. Seen after withdrawal by Merthyr is 181, HHB181K, a 1972 Leyland Leopard PSU3B/2R with 51 seat body. This was one of the last Leopards bought by Merthyr.
Photo taken c. 1992, Skipton Bus Station