SCT '61 Photo Index
Luton Corporation
More details at Local Transport History Society Histories

Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. FNM105
Luton 105, FNM105, was a Crossley DD42/5T with a Crossley L27/26R body and was one of nine new in 1948/9. The Turbo transmitter was replaced by a conventional clutch and crash gearbox in 1953.
Photo taken Saturday 3 December 1960, presumably the Town Centre Library Terminus, Luton
2. FNM106
Luton Corporation 1948 Crossley DD42 with Crossley bodywork, 106, FNM106, on service 6 Luton Library. I do not remember seeing many Crossleys at all in the south, but they seemed antiquated compared to London Transport's RTs also running in Luton. The Corporation bought 29 such Crossleys between 1946 and 1949, with Leyland Titans, Leyland-Albion Lowlanders and later Dennis Lolines and Bristol RE being acquired before being taken over by United Counties on 4th January 1970.
Photo taken October 1960, presumably the Town Centre Library Terminus, Luton
3. FNM115
Luton 115, FNM115 was a Leyland L27/26R bodied Leyland PD2/1 and was one of twelve new in 1948.
Photo taken Saturday 3 December 1960, Luton
4. FNM117
FNM117 was Luton 117 and was one of twelve Leyland PD2/1s with Leyland L27/26R bodies delivered in 1948.
Photo taken Sunday 14 March 1965, Luton
5. LBM124
Leyland PD2/10 LBM124 with a Leyland L27/28R body was Luton 124, one of ten delivered in 1953. Although many operators were taking 8' 0" wide buses, Luton continued to specify ones 7' 6" wide with five more Leyland bodied PD2/10s being delivered in 1954.
Photo taken Saturday 3 December 1960, presumably the Town Centre Library Terminus, Luton
6. RMJ145
Luton 145, RMJ145, a Leyland PD2/22 with MCCW L27/28R body, new in 1956.
Photo taken c. 1970
7. WTM153
Luton 153, WTM153, the first of five Leyland PD2/30s with Weymann L27/28R bodies delivered in April/May 1959.
Photo taken Winter 1968/9, Chesford Road/Wandon Close, Stopsley, Luton
8. 160ANM
Luton Corporation Leyland Titan PD2/30 with East Lancs lowbridge body 160, 160ANM, dating from 1960, being in a batch of five, 158-162 (158-162 ANM).
Photo taken October 1960, Park Street Garage, Luton
9. 162ANM
162ANM was a Leyland PD2/30 with an East Lancs L27/28R body new as Luton 162 and was the last of five new in 1960, following the delivery of five Weymann bodied examples in 1959.
Photo taken Saturday 3 December 1960, Luton
10. 163ANM
Luton 163, 163ANM, a Dennis Loline II with East Lancs H35/28F body, new in October 1960
Photo taken c.1970
11. 164ANM
This October 1960 Dennis Loline II with East Lancs H35/28F body was number 164 in the Luton fleet and was registered 164ANM.
Photo taken Saturday 3 December 1960, Luton
12. 164ANM
A rear view of 164ANM, a Dennis Loline II with East Lancs H35/28F body which was Luton 164, one of a pair delivered in 1960.
Photo taken Saturday 3 December 1960, Luton
13. 172HTM
172HTM was Luton 172 and was an Albion LR7 Lowlander with an East Lancs H35/30F body, ten such vehicles (165-174) being new in 1963, along with a further six with Neepsend bodies on East Lancs frames (175-180).
Photo taken Sunday 14 March 1965, Luton
14. XXE134H
Luton 134, XXE134H, a Bristol LHS with ECW B37F body, new in 1970. This batch of five never operated with Luton as they were delivered as the Corporation's operations were taken over by United Counties and in February 1970 the five were transferred to Eastern Counties (where they were reregistered). 134 became Eastern Counties LHS598 with registration number WNG104H.
Photo taken 1970