SCT '61 Photo Index
Samuel Ledgard
Fleet List from Peter Gould's site

Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. KW794?
A sad and undignified end to all those years of hard work and service to Samuel Ledgard and to the public. The vehicle in the foreground is one of KW7944/5, new to B & B Tours in 1930 and taken over in 1935. It is a Leyland Lion LT1 with Burlingham C31F bodywork. Behind are the sad remains of two of the five Bedford OWBs operated by Samuel Ledgard. Three were new in 1942 (JNW347/8 and JUA670) with Roe bodies, the other two came in 1944 (JUA989/991) with Duple bodies.
Photo taken late 1953, Scrapyard of G.W.Butler, Eller Ghyll, Otley/Menston
2. KY7082
Samuel Ledgard KY7082 was new in 1934 and was acquired with the business of B & B Tours Ltd., Bradford in 1935. The LT5B Lion was fitted in 1953 with the ECW B33R body from East Yorkshire 334 replacing the original C32F body by Wilkes & Meade.
Photo taken Monday 21 May 1956, Yeadon
3. BUA401
Samuel Ledgard BUA401 was a Leyland TD4 new to Ledgard in 1935 with a Leyland metal framed body of a type which had structural problems and was rebodied by Leyland in 1938 as L26/26R.
Photo taken Monday 21 May 1956, Yeadon Garage
4. CUB1
Ledgards famous Brush bodied 1935 Maudsley Marathon coach CUB1 in original form There is no date to the photograph but if it is post war it was taken before 1951
Photo taken c.1945, Bradford, Forster Square
5. CUG841
Samuel Ledgard CUG841 seen here at Yeadon was new to Ledgard in 1936 and is a Leyland TS7 with an English Electric C32F body although by the time of this photograph bus seats from ex-LTE vehicles had been fitted. It was withdrawn later in 1956.
Photo taken Monday 21 May 1956, Yeadon
6. CUG842
Official English Electric photograph of Samuel Ledgard CUG842 when new in 1936, a Leyland TS7 with an English Electric C32F body.
Photo taken 1936
7. DUB82
Samuel Ledgard DUB82, a 1936 Leyland Cheetah LZ with delightfully "traditional" Barnaby bodywork.
Photo taken mid 1952, Otley Bus Station
8. EUG124
Samuel Ledgard EUG124, a Leyland TS7 new to Ledgard in 1937 with a Duple C32F body here carries an ECW DP32F body from United LLE10 fitted in July 1955 and is seen entering the approach road to the Goods Yard at Leeds Central Station.
Photo taken Tuesday 22 May 1956, Leeds Central Station
9. EUG126
Samuel Ledgard EUG126, seen here with its original Duple C33F body in Park Lane, Leeds, is a Leyland TS7 new to Ledgard in 1937.
Photo taken Saturday 6 October 1956, Park Place, Leeds
10. JNW288
Samuel Ledgard JNW288 resting between journeys. The all Leyland vehicle is a 1940 Titan TD7.
Photo taken early 1953, Castle Lane, Ilkley
11. JNW289
Samuel Ledgard JNW289, a Leyland TD7 with Leyland H30/26R body, was one of three which joined the fleet in 1940. It is seen here at King Street, Leeds and was withdrawn later the same year.
Photo taken Saturday 6 April 1957, King Street, Leeds
12. JUA762
New to Samuel Ledgard in 1943 was this Guy Arab I, JUA762, which was rebodied by Roe in 1951 with the H31/25R body depicted here in Chester Street, Bradford. It lasted ten years with its new body.
Photo taken Friday 26 April 1957, Chester Street, Bradford
13. JUA763
Samuel Ledgard JUA763 was a Guy Arab II which entered service with Ledgard in 1943 with a utility body and was rebodied in 1951 with a Roe H31/25R body which gave it a further ten years life with Ledgard.
Photo taken Sunday 30 June 1957, Otley
14. GHA968
Samuel Ledgard GHA968 was new in 1944 as Midland Red 2533, a Daimler CWA6 with Duple H30/26R body. It arrived with Ledgard in 1957 and was withdrawn in 1960.
Photo taken Saturday 20 April 1957, Park Place, Leeds
15. JUA918
Samuel Ledgard JUA918 is a Daimler CWA6 with Roe H30/26RD body which was new in 1944 (the doors being fitted in January 1955) and which was sold for scrap in 1959.
Photo taken Sunday 6 May 1956, Chester Street Bus Station, Bradford
16. GYL291
Samuel Ledgard GYL291 was new to London Transport as D126 in 1945 and arrived with Ledgard via Bee Line, West Hartlepool in 1956. A Daimler CWA6 with a Brush H30/26R body, seen here in the West Yorkshire Bus Station at Leeds Vicar Lane, it was withdrawn in 1960.
Photo taken Sunday 24 March 1957, West Yorkshire Bus Station at Leeds Vicar Lane
17. JUB647
JUB647 was new to Samuel Ledgard in 1945 and was withdrawn in 1962. It was a Daimler CWD6 with a Duple H30/26RD body (the doors being fitted in 1954) and is seen here at Horsforth.
Photo taken Sunday 27 January 1957, Horsforth
18. JUB651
Daimler CWA6 JUB651 had a Duple H30/26R body and was new to Samuel Ledgard in 1945. Seen here at Horsforth it remained in the fleet until 1962.
Photo taken Saturday 15 June 1957, Horsforth
19. FAX311
Bought by Ledgards in 1959 was this Albion Valkyrie CX13 with BBW (Bristol Tramways Bodybuilding Works) rear entrance bodywork, FAX311. It was one of 5 bought from Red and White all of which dated from 1946. It lasted until 1962 and was scrapped shortly after
Photo taken c.1960, Harrogate
20. HGF914
Samuel Ledgard ex-London Transport Daimler CWA6 HGF914 with a Park Royal H30/26RD body new in 1946, the doors being fitted before it entered service with Ledgard in 1954.
Photo taken Sunday 31 March 1957, Chester Street Bus Station, Bradford
21. HGF948
This is the end result of what started life as a Maudslay SF40 and a Daimler CWA6. The chassis is that of HGF948, a Daimler CWA6 new as London Transport D271 in October 1946 with a Park Royal H30/26R body. Acquired from London Transport by Ledgard, Armley, along with another twenty-two, it was immediately rebodied by Rhodes of Bingley with the Brush C36C body from Ledgard's Maudslay SF40, CUB1 new in October 1935 and the resultant combination entered service in April 1954.
Photo taken Monday 28 September 1959
22. JUM377
Samuel Ledgard JUM377 was one of six Leyland PD1s with Leyland H30/26R bodies new to Ledgard in 1946. Seen here in King Street, Leeds, it remained in service until 1965.
Photo taken Saturday 6 October 1956, King Street, Leeds
23. BCK421
Samuel Ledgard BCK421, a Leyland PD1A with Leyland H32/26R body, new in 1947 and bought by Samuel Ledgard in 1961 from Ribble and behind BCK633, identical spec to BCK421 but ex-Preston Corporaton, also in 1947
Photo taken Saturday 1 July 1967, Otley
24. BCK422
Samuel Ledgard BCK422, a Leyland PD1A with Leyland H32/26R body, new in 1947 and bought in 1961 from Ribble.
Photo taken Saturday 12 August 1967, Otley
25. BCK441
Samuel Ledgard BCK441, formerly Ribble 2498, started life in 1947 as a Brush-bodied Leyland PD1A. Rather like an old brush with a new handle and a new head, in 1955 it received an 8 foot Burlingham body, and was re-engined to become a PD2/3.
Photo taken 1967, West Yorkshire depot, Bradford
26. BCK621
Samuel Ledgard BCK621, a Leyland PD1A with Leyland H32/26R body, new in 1947 and bought by Samuel Ledgard in 1961 from Preston Corporation
Photo taken Saturday 12 August 1967, Otley
27. BCK633
Samuel Ledgard BCK633, a Leyland PD1A with Leyland H32/26R body, new in 1947 and bought by Samuel Ledgard in 1961 from Preston Corporation and behind BCK421, identical spec to BCK633 but ex-Ribble, also in 1947
Photo taken Saturday 1 July 1967, Otley
28. HLW181
Ledgard HLW181, an A.E.C. Regent III ex London Transport RT194 in Park Place, Leeds.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Park Place, Leeds
29. KHW622
Samuel Ledgard KHW622, was a Leyland PD1A with an unusual Bristol Brislington H30/26R body of 1947. It was former Bristol Omnibus C4011 until purchased by Ledgard in 1961.
Photo taken 1966, Otley
30. GDK401
Samuel Ledgard GDK401, an AEC Regent III with East Lancs H31/28R body, new to Rochdale Corporation in 1948 and one of five acquired by Samuel Ledgard in 1962.
Photo taken Saturday 1 July 1967, Otley
31. GDK404
Samuel Ledgard GDK404, an AEC Regent III with East Lancs H31/28R body, new to Rochdale Corporation in 1948 and one of five acquired by Samuel Ledgard in 1962.
Photo taken Monday 9 August 1965, Wellington Street, Leeds
32. GWY157
Samuel Ledgard GWY157, ex-Felix Motors 26, an AEC Regent III with Roberts H30/26R body of 1948. Purchased by Ledgard in 1962 it survived until the final day of operations in October 1967.
Photo taken 1965, Troydale terminus, Pudsey
33. JFJ52
A sad sequel to Paul Haywood's splendid picture of JFJ55 at Arthington in happier times. Here, we see JFJ52 and JFJ55 resting on the forecourt of Ilkley depot prior to that awful final journey to the breaker. The blackboard gives details of forthcoming excursions - in coaches of the highest standard of course - tickets for which could be bought in the little depot cabin. In retrospect perhaps the withdrawn double deckers could have been spared the indignity of advertising the luxury and adventurous facilities of their successors !!
Photo taken Aug/Sept 1963, the yard of Samuel Ledgard's Ilkley depot, in effect an outpost of the larger Otley premises
34. JFJ55
Samuel Ledgard JFJ55 was one of a small batch of former Exeter Daimler CVD6s with Brush bodywork. They had a distinctly utilitarian appearance but dated from 1948.
Photo taken 1962, Arthington Terminus
35. KGU363
Ledgard KGU263, a Leyland 7RT, ex London Transport. It is seen here on the roof of the garage at Armley.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Armley
36. KHY395
Samuel Ledgard KHY395, was an ex-Bristol Omnibus Leyland PD1A with an ECW H30/26R body, new in 1948.
Photo taken circa 1966, Otley Road/Shaw Lane, Leeds
37. KHY395
Samuel Ledgard KHY395, a Leyland PD1A with ECW H30/26R body, new in 1948, ex Bristol in 1961.
Photo taken Saturday 12 August 1967, Otley
38. LAE12
Ledgard LAE12 was an ECW-bodied Leyland PD1A, former Bristol Omnibus C4043 from 1948 until 1960.
Photo taken late 1967, Otley Depot
39. LAE12
Samuel Ledgard LAE12, LLU873 and PNW91. LAE12 was a 1948 Leyland PD1A with ECW body ex-Bristol in 1961, LLU873 was ex-London Transport RTL883 bought in 1966 while PNW91 was bought new in 1952, a Leyland PD2/12 with Leyalnd body.
Photo taken Saturday 12 August 1967, Otley
40. LHU520
Samuel Ledgard LHU520, was ex-Bristol Omnibus C3411, a Bristol K5G with ECW H30/26R body of 1948. It was the only Bristol in the Ledgard fleet with a Gardner 5LW engine so was not popular with drivers on their many hilly routes.
Photo taken Sunday 14 June 1964, Armley depot, Leeds
41. MUA864
Ledgard MUA864, one of four Foden PVSC6 with Plaxton C33F bodies new in 1949/50.
Photo taken Saturday 30 August 1958, opposite Wellington Street Coach Station, Leeds
42. MUA864
Samuel Ledgard coach MUA864 parked outside a Ledgard depot with another unidentified coach parked behind it. The twin horns mounted in front of the entrance door suggest that there would be no difficulty hearing it coming! MUA864 was one of four Foden PVSC6 with Plaxton C33F bodies new in 1949/50.
Photo taken 1950s, Otley Depot
43. MUA865
Ledgard MUA865, one of two Foden PVSC6 with Plaxton FC33F bodies new in 1949
Photo taken Saturday 5 April 1958, Wellington Street Coach Station, Leeds
44. MUA866
Samuel Ledgard MUA866 was a Foden PVSC6 with a Plaxton FC33F body of 1949.
Photo taken 1962, Intake, Leeds
45. EUH959
Samuel Ledgard EUH959, ex-Western Welsh 959, then Eynon's of Trimsaran, an all-Leyland lowbridge PD2/3, pauses with a school contract.
Photo taken 1966, Old Ball, Horsforth
46. GUY3
Samuel Ledgard GUY3, a Guy Arab UF with Guy B40F body (using Park Royal framework) built in 1950 as a demonstrator. It was famous for being the prototype underfloor-engined Guy and was exhibited at the 1950 Earls Court Show. It was first sold to Kitchin & Son, Pudsey and passed to Ledgard in 1957 when they took over Kitchin's stage carriage services.
Photo taken 1962, Intake, Leeds
47. JWU131
Samuel Ledgard JWU131 was an all-Leyland lowbridge PD2/1 built for Felix Motors in 1950, and sold to Ledgard in 1962. Next to it was former Doncaster Corporation 136, MDT221, an AEC Regent III originally with Roe lowbridge body, then used as a tree-lopper.
Photo taken 1967, Leicester Avenue depot, Doncaster
48. JWU131
Samuel Ledgard's former Felix Motors all-Leyland PD2/1 JWU131 is seen at the Premier Motors depot on an enthusiasts' tour.
Photo taken 1967, Hatfield, Doncaster
49. KUP949
KUP949, a 1950 Leyland Tiger PS1/1 with Burlingham body was bought new by Iveson of Cornsay Collery in County Durham. By 1957 the bus was in service with Baxters of Airdrie who sold it in that year to Ledgards of Armley. It survived in the Ledgard fleet until 1967 and the sale to West Yorkshire.
Photo taken 1992, Harrogate
50. KUP949
Seen on a visit to the Middleton Garage of Leeds City Transport, opened in November 1966, is preserved ex-Ledgard, Armley KUP949, a Burlingham C33F bodied Leyland PS1/1 new to Iveson, Esh in 1950 and acquired by Ledgard in February 1957 from Baxter, Airdrie.
Photo taken Saturday 7 September 1968, Middleton Garage
51. KYY506
Former London Transport RLH6, KYY506, was bought by Samuel Ledgard early in 1965 and spent most of its new incarnation working school and Horsforth to Otley duties.
Photo taken 1965, New Road Side, Horsforth
52. KYY508
Samuel Ledgard KYY508, ex-London Transport RLH8, new in 1950 and acquired by Ledgard in 1965.
Photo taken Saturday 12 August 1967, Otley
53. KYY799
Ledgard KYY799, a Leyland 7RT ex London Transport RTL829 in Park Place, Leeds.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Park Place, Leeds
54. LLU853
Samuel Ledgard ex London Transport RTL LLU853 seen in the last weeks of Ledgard's existence
Photo taken July 1967, Carr Crofts Leeds
55. ONW2
Seen in Saville Street, Leeds is Ledgard's ONW2, a Foden PVFE6 with Plaxton Envoy FC39F body which had been exhibited at the 1950 Commercial Motor Show
Photo taken Saturday 8 June 1957, Saville Street, Leeds
56. ONW2
Ledgard ONW2, a Foden PVFE6 with Plaxton Envoy FC39F body, new in 1950, had been repainted into the pale blue coach livery by the time this shot was taken at Scarborough.
Photo taken Sunday 18 April 1965, Scarborough
57. GUY3
Samuel Ledgard GUY3, an ex-Guy demonstrator, was a Guy Arab UF fitted from new with a preselector gearbox and carried a Guy B40F body. New in 1951 it arrived with Ledgard in 1957 when the stage service of Kitchin, Pudsey was taken over in April.
Photo taken Saturday 15 June 1957, Armley Garage
58. GVA289
Ledgard GVA289, a Duple Roadmaster C41F bodied Leyland PSU1/11 Royal Tiger had been new to Baxter, Airdrie in 1951 and was acquired by Ledgard in 1957. It is seen here entering one of the coachparks in Blackpool.
Photo taken Sunday 29 March 1964, Blackpool
59. LRW377
Samuel Ledgard LRW377 was an ex-demonstrator Daimler Freeline with a Duple B36D body new in 1951 and is seen at the Weston Estate terminus of the service from Otley Bus Station on which it was a regular performer with Ledgard arriving in 1956 and serving until 1960.
Photo taken Sunday 30 June 1957, Weston Estate
60. MTJ357
Samuel Ledgard MTJ357 was a rare Maudslay Regal IV with Burlingham C41C body and is seen here in Leeds Bus Station. It was new in 1951 and arrived with Ledgard in 1957 from Votier, Norwich.
Photo taken Tuesday 10 September 1957, Leeds Bus Station
61. LYR915
Ledgard LYR915, an A.E.C. Regent III ex London Transport RT3496 in Park Place, Leeds.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Park Place, Leeds
62. LYR918
Ledgard LYR918, an A.E.C. Regent III ex London Transport RT3499 in Park Place, Leeds.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Park Place, Leeds
63. LYR933
Ledgard LYR933, an A.E.C. Regent III ex London Transport RT3514 in Park Place, Leeds.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Park Place, Leeds
64. MLL834
Ledgard MLL834, an A.E.C. Regent III ex London Transport RT3524 in Park Place, Leeds.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Park Place, Leeds
65. MLL834
Samuel Ledgard MLL834, ex London Transport (Country) RT3524, new in 1952 and acquired by Samuel Ledgard in 1964.
Photo taken Monday 9 August 1965, Wellington Street, Leeds
66. MLL910
Samuel Ledgard used the large, flat roof of their Armley depot and workshop for storage. Former London RT3600, MLL910, is nearest the gate, with glimpses of an ex-Rochdale East Lancs Regent III, two more RT's (NLE831 and MLL---) and one of the rare ex-Northern General, Picktree-bodied Guy LUF coach.
Photo taken 1966, Armley depot, Leeds
67. MXX232
Samuel Ledgard operated a small batch of former London Transport AEC Regent III with lowbridge Weymann bodywork from the RLH class. To commemorate the 40th anniversary of Ledgard's last day in 1967, RLH32, MXX232 was repainted in Ledgard colours (although MXX232 never operated with Ledgards). Seen on the Aire Valley running day.
Photo taken Sunday 14 October 2007, Otley
68. MXX232
Ledgard bought a number of London Transports RLH class lowbridge AEC Regent IIIs with Weymann bodywork. None of the originals survive in the UK but MXX232 now carries Ledgard livery to give a flavour of the original.
Photo taken Saturday 13 October 2012, Ledgard Running Day, Pudsey
69. MXX232
A rear view of former London RLH32, MXX232, a 1952 AEC Regent III with Weymann lowbridge bodywork showing the abrievated fleetname used by Ledgard on the backs of their buses.
Photo taken Saturday 13 October 2012, Ledgard Running Day, Pudsey
70. PNW91
Family resemblance - WW2 separates these two Samuel Ledgard all Leyland Titans. At the rear is PNW91, a 1952 PD2/12, while leading the way is JNW288, a 1940 TD7.
Photo taken early 1953, New Brook Street Ilkley - terminus of the two Leeds services via Otley or Guiseley
71. PNW91
Salmons (Audawn Coaches), Corringham acquired PNW91 in March 1968 via P.V.S., (dealer), Canvey. It was a Leyland H30/26R bodied Leyland PD2/12, the first of three new to Samuel Ledgard, Armley in February 1952, the last vehicles delivered before his death. Alongside is LYR797, a Leyland 7RT exiled from London Transport, also in the Salmons fleet, in this view taken at Gilwell Park.
Photo taken Saturday 5 July 1969, Gilwell Park
72. MXX176
Samuel Ledgard MXX176, was ex-London Transport Weymann-bodied RT3661 of 1953.
Photo taken 1966, Otley
73. DCN831
Ledgard, Leeds DCN831 was a Guy Arab LUF with a Picktree C35F body acquired from Northern General in March 1963. It is seen here on the roof of the garage at Armley with the remains of a chassis alongside.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Armley
74. DCN831
Samuel Ledgard DCN831, ex-Northern General 1531, was a Guy Arab LUF with rare Picktree "Continental" C35F body dating from 1954.
Photo taken May 1967, Otley depot
75. DCN834
Ledgard, Leeds DCN834 was a Guy Arab LUF with a Picktree C35F body acquired from Northern General in January 1963. It is seen here on the roof of the garage at Armley.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Armley
76. DCN836
Ledgard, Leeds DCN836 was a Guy Arab LUF with a Picktree C35F body acquired from Northern General in January 1963. It is seen here on the roof of the garage at Armley.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Armley
77. DCN838
Ledgard, Leeds DCN838 was a Guy Arab LUF with a Picktree C35F body acquired from Northern General in December 1962. It is seen here on the roof of the garage at Armley.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Armley
78. DCN839
A colour shot of Ledgard DCN839, a Guy Arab LUF with a Picktree C35F body acquired from Northern General in December 1962.
Photo taken Morley Street, Leeds
79. DCN839
Ledgard, Leeds DCN839 was a Guy Arab LUF with a Picktree C35F body acquired from Northern General in December 1962. It is seen here on the roof of the garage at Armley.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Armley
80.
Here is a pretty good picture of the Ledgard Armley depot rooftop park. Amazingly, all the domestic property and streets are still there to this day. As you look at the picture the roof gateway and the wall to the right of it are still there too, although now largely hidden by landscaping foliage on the new road, Ledgard Way. The entrance to the main garage can just be seen with the black sign above it - "Samuel Ledgard Licensed petroleum store." At the near end of the roof can be seen the steam cleaning ramp.
Photo taken Armley, Leeds
81. 88CMV
Associated Commercial Vehicles demonstrator 88CMV, a Crossley Regent V (CMD3RV001) with Park Royal H33/28R body new in 1955 seen in King Street, Leeds whilst on trial with Ledgard, Armley.
Photo taken Saturday 26 January 1957, King Street, Leeds
82. UUA796
Samuel Ledgard UUA796, a Leyland Tiger Cub with Burlingham C41F body new to Ledgard in 1955. Here seen at Elland Road football ground it passed in October 1967 to West Yorkshire but was not used.
Photo taken Saturday 22 October 1955, Elland Road, Leeds
83. NCY453
Ledgard, Leeds NCY453 was an A.E.C. MD3RV Regent V with a Weymann H33/28R body ex South Wales 462 in February 1967. It is seen here in Park Place, Leeds waiting until it is time to move round to the stop in King Street to start the journey to Ilkley via Guiseley.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Park Place, Leeds
84. SDU711
Samuel Ledgard SDU711, a Daimler CVG6 with Willowbrook H37/29RD body. New in 1956, it started life as a Daimler demonstrator before joining the Samuel Ledgard fleet in 1960.
Photo taken Monday 9 August 1965, Wellington Street, Leeds
85. 1949U
Samuel Ledgard AEC Regent V 1949U with Roe H37/28R bodywork, ready for delivery in August 1957.
Photo taken August 1957, outside the Office Building at Crossgates Carriage Works, Leeds
86. 1950U
Samuel Ledgard 1950U was one of six Roe-bodied AEC Regent Vs dating from 1957. Although showing the destination of Otley, it is seen entering Leeds and has been pre-set for the return journey.
Photo taken circa 1967, Woodhouse Lane, Leeds
87. 1951U
The Executors of Samuel Ledgard bought six A.E.C. D3RV Regent Vs with Roe H37/28R bodies in September 1957 and 1951U, the third of them, is seen in Park Place, Leeds.
Photo taken Saturday 7 October 1967, Park Place, Leeds
88. 1952U
The last new double-deck vehicles delivered during Samuel Ledgard's lifetime were PNW91-3, 1951 Leyland bodied PD2/12s. The next, and last, new deckers apart from Daimler CVG6 XUG141 in March 1957 were 1949-1954U which were Roe H37/28R bodied AEC D3RV Regents delivered in September 1957. Ledgard's first bus had been a Karrier new in September 1912, registered U1949, leading to the choice of registration numbers for the new buses. 1952U is seen here in King Street, Leeds with Hebble 152, BJX680, a 1951 Willowbrook B43F bodied Leyland PSU1/1 Royal Tiger on the Leeds to Rochdale service.
Photo taken Monday 20 August 1962, King Street, Leeds
89. 1953U
Samuel Ledgard 1953U was one of a batch of six AEC Regent Vs, the first new double deckers ordered since Samuel Ledgard's death in 1952. Roe provided the H37/28R bodywork carried here in King Street, Leeds and after takeover by West Yorkshire in October 1967, this one became DAW9.
Photo taken Wednesday 11 September 1957, King Street, Leeds
90. 1953U
Samuel Ledgard 1953U, an AEC Regent V with Roe H37/28R body, new in 1957. This was a comparative rarity in a mainly second-hand fleet having been bought new as part of a batch of six. It also had the distinction of operating the last Ledgard service before the transfer of routes to West Yorkshire and Leeds City Transport on Sunday October 15th 1967.
Photo taken Monday 9 August 1965, Wellington Street, Leeds
91. 1954U
Former Samuel Ledgard 1954U, an AEC Regent V with Roe H37/28R body of 1957.
Photo taken 1967, Otley
92. XUG141
Samuel Ledgard XUG141 was Daimler CVG6 with a Burlingham H36/27R body of 1957. A definite one-off, the bus was thought to have been a possible candidate for the 1956 Commercial Vehicle Show, but Burlingham decided to display on a Guy chassis and Daimler decided to show Willowbrook-bodied SDU711 (also sold to Ledgard).
Photo taken late 1967, Newall terminus, Otley
93. AUM413C
AUM413C was one of two Leyland PSU3/3RT Leopards with Plaxton Panorama C51F bodies hired by Ledgard, Armley from Stanley Hughes, the Gomersal dealer. It is seen here outside The Nelson Hotel at Branch Road, Armley where Samuel Ledgard, as well as running a bus fleet and other activities, was also the licensee from May 1897 until his death in April 1952.
Photo taken Sunday 18 April 1965, Branch Road, Armley