SCT '61 Photo Index
City Coach Company
Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. PY7523
Another City Coach Leyland Lion, L20, PY7523, which would probably originally have been used on the London-Southend route, but is seen here in Brentwood High Street on the route to Laindon.
Photo taken High Street, Brentwood
2. UW7590
This rather exotic looking City Coach Guilford, G3, UW7590, might also have been used on the London-Southend route, but is seen here somewhere in the country carrying a blind for Laindon Station.
3. YE9648
City Coach started as a London independent bus operator but diversified in the 1920s with what was later to be their main route, between Kentish Town/Wood Green and Southend. Leyland Lion L17, YE9648, is typical of the vehicles used on this route on its early days.
4. JN955
At one time City Coach was in competition with Westcliff on the London-Southend route, but in 1934 the Westcliff timings were taken over along with the batch of Dennis single deckers which had been used by Westcliff. One of these, JN955, is seen here somewhere in the north London suburbs en route to Southend.
5. KO3549
Another, even smaller, vehicle taken over by City Coaches was this little Dennis, DE1, KO5349, in Brentwood High Street.
Photo taken High Street, Brentwood
6.
A fine line-up of former City Coach LTs in the yard of the Westcliff Fairfax Drive depot after takeover by Westcliff, probably in 1951 or early 1952. Not all are identifiable, but they include LTs 31 and 33.
Photo taken c. 1951/2, Fairfax Drive Depot, Southend
7. CUL804
CUL804 was City Coach Company LT10, a six-wheel Leyland TS7T from 1936 rebodied as shown by Heaver in 1947. Later WMS/EN 108 and withdrawn in 1955.
8. CXL826
Many of the City Coach pre-war LTs were rebodied by Heaver in 1947, LT13, CXL826, here having a full fronted body and painted in a mainly brown livery, parked in the yard of the depot at Brentwood.
Photo taken Brentwood Garage
9. CXW440
During 1935-7 a large batch of new vehicles were acquired by City Coach for the main London to Southend service, 35 six wheeled Leyland TS7s. Here is a pre-war view of LT15, CXW440.
10. DUC902
A later shot of former LT26, DUC902, after City Coach had been taken over by Westcliff. It is now in green livery with Westcliff fleetname, but carries its Eastern National fleet number 115.
Photo taken Tylers Avenue, Southend
11. DUC902
City Coach LT26, DUC902, was one of the Leyland TS7 rebuilds with half cab bodies and here is in a mainly cream livery. It is at the stop outside Tyler's Avenue depot in November 1951.
Photo taken November 1951, Tylers Avenue, Southend
12. DUC904
The City Coach LTs survived the war and many were still in service with their original bodies to the end of the City Company. Here, LT28, DUC904, has arrived at the stop outside the City depot in Tyler's Avenue, Southend in November 1951.
Photo taken November 1951, Tyler's Avenue, Southend
13. DUC906
One of the unrebuilt City Coach LTs with contractor Lehane, MacKensie and Shand after sale by Westcliff. It is former LT30, DUC906, at Chapel St. Leonards, just north of Skegness, in Summer 1954.
Photo taken Tuesday 27 July 1954, Chapel St. Leonards, Skegness
14. CUL804
A second view of City Coach Company LT10, CUL804, a six-wheel Leyland TS7T from 1936 rebodied by Heaver in 1947. Later WMS/EN 108 and withdrawn in 1955.
Photo taken Tylers Avenue, Southend
15. DUC901
A line up of City Coach Leyland TS7Ds LT25, DUC901, and LT22, CYO194, alongside Regal MV2272
Photo taken Brentwood Depot
16. CYO190
City Coach LT18, CYO190, rebodied Leyland Tiger TS7T/Heaver, still in City livery in 1955 - thought to have been one of the last 3 vehicles in their brown and cream
Photo taken 1955, Ingrave Road, Brentwood
17. HVW213
Second shot of former City Coach HVW213, a Leyland TEC2 with Duple FC39C body, new in August 1939.
Photo taken Saturday 7 June 1958, Leeds Central Bus Station
18. HVW213
Third shot, a rear view, of former City Coach HVW213, a Leyland TEC2 with Duple FC39C body, new in August 1939.
Photo taken Saturday 7 June 1958, Leeds Central Bus Station
19. HVW213
Former City Coach HVW213, a Leyland TEC2 with Duple FC39C body, new in August 1939. At the time this photo was taken, the legal lettering on the vehicle was for Symonds, South Kirkby but it is believed that it was with Keeling to whom it is recorded as passing, from Symonds, in June 1958.
Photo taken Saturday 7 June 1958, Leeds Central Bus Station
20. HVW213
City Coach G2, HVW213, a 1939 Leyland TEC2 'Gnu' with Duple FC39C body.
21. HVW214
City Coach Company G3, HVW214, a 1939 Leyland TEC2 'Gnu' with Duple FC39C body. Numbered 119 by ENOC before being withdrawn in 1956.
Photo taken Felixstowe
22. HVW215
The LTs were supported on the London-Southend route by the well known four wheel steering Leyland Gnus. Here former City Coach G4, HVW215, stands outside Tyler's Avenue depot in July 1955.
Photo taken Saturday 16 July 1955, Tylers Avenue, Southend
23. HVW215
City Coach G4, HVW215, a Leyland TEC2 with Duple FC39C body, new in August 1939.
Photo taken 1950, opposite Newbury Park Underground/Bus Station, London Ilford
24. HVW216
Former City Coach HVW216, a Leyland TEC2 with Duple FC39C body, new in August 1939 at Weaver Street, Kirkstall, Leeds - the 'garage' of Keeling to whom it passed from North (dealer) in 1957.
Photo taken Thursday 12 September 1957, Weaver Street, Kirkstall, Leeds
25. HVW217
City Coach G6, HVW217, a 1939 Leyland TEC2 'Gnu' with Duple FC39C body.
Photo taken Tyler's Avenue, Southend
26. HVW217
Continuing the line up of City Coach buses including on the left Leyland GNU G6, HVW217 and LD23, FJN204, an all Leyland PD2/12 with further single and double deckers, some still in City Coach livery, others repainted in Eastern National green.
Photo taken Brentwood Depot
27. BNO395
Later, mainly by taking over smaller operators, City Coach built up a network of local services based on Brentwood and a variety of small vehicles, often from operators taken over, were used on these. This small Dodge DO3, BNO395, is in Brentwood High Street, having arrived on a route via Billericay, perhaps from Laindon.
Photo taken High Street, Brentwood
28. KTW241
City Coach B28, KTW241 was a Bedford OB with a Perkins P6 oil engine and a Mulliner B32F body, new in August 1946. Passed to WMS in 1952 but was never renumbered and sold to Hipperson (contractor), Dagenham c. August 1952.
Photo taken Laindon Station
29. KTW247
Towards the end of the war and shortly after, various new small buses were acquired by City Coach for the country routes based on Brentwood (although they also regularly appeared in Southend). This Commer, formerly C5, KTW247, parked outside Tyler's Avenue depot, was new in 1946 and has a Mulliner body which looks to be to utility standards.
Photo taken Tylers Avenue, Southend
30. LEV917
Eastern National SD2102, LEV917, a Leyland Titan PD1/1 with Leyland/Alexander O33/26R body. Originally part of the City Coach fleet, passed to Westcliff-on-Sea in 1952 and then to Eastern National before conversion to open top in 1958.
Photo taken Canvey Island
31. LEV917
Eastern National 2102, LEV917, a Leyland Titan PD1/1 with Leyland/Alexander O33/26R body. It was new to the City Coach Company in 1946, passing to Westcliff and then Eastern National as the respective fleets were taken over.
Photo taken near Southend Pier
32. LEV917
Eastern National SD2102, LEV917, a Leyland Titan PD1/1 with Leyland/Alexander O33/26R body. Originally part of the City Coach fleet, it passed to Westcliff-on-Sea in 1952 and then to Eastern National before conversion to open top in 1958.
Photo taken Saturday 31 July 1965, Shoebury Common, Southend
33. LEV918
Eastern National SD1113, LEV918, a Leyland Titan PD1/1 with Leyland/Alexander O33/26R body. Originally City Coach LD2, it passed to Westcliff-on-Sea in 1952 and then to Eastern National before conversion to open top in 1958.
Photo taken Saturday 16 May 1964, Western Esplanade, Southend
34. LEV920
Eastern National 1111, LEV920, a Leyland PD1/1 with Beadle L52R body, new to City Coach Co in 1946, then to Westcliff, then to ENOC. LEV920 was later converted to open-top.
Photo taken Leigh Beck Garage, Canvey Island
35. LHK412
Rose Bros (Primrose) of Chelmsford LHK412, a Leyland PS1/1 with Duple C35F body, new to the City Coach Company in December 1946 but exchanged with Rose for a Daimler CVD6 in May 1950.
Photo taken 1950, opposite Newbury Park Underground/Bus Station, London Ilford
36. LHK414
Eastern National 124, LHK414, and probably 123, LHK413, a pair of Leyland PS1s with Duple C35F body, new in 1946 to City Coach Co.
Photo taken April 1960, Colchester
37. LHK415
LHK415, was a Leyland PS1 with a Duple C35F body new as City Coach Company, Brentwood LS4 in 1946, passing to Westcliff-on-Sea in February 1952 where it was renumbered 126 in July 1954. It became Eastern National 126 in 1954 and is seen in Braintree.
Photo taken Saturday 6 December 1958, Victoria Street, Braintree
38. LEV917
City Coach PD1 LEV917 outside the Brentwood depot
Photo taken c.1946, Brentwood Depot
39. LEV918
The other two Leyland PD1/1 double deckers City Coach acquired in 1947, their first double deckers, had highbridge Alexander bodywork. After takeover by Westcliff the former LD2, LEV918, stands at the Benfleet terminus with a 26 to Canvey Leigh Beck.
Photo taken mid 1950s, Benfleet Station
40. LEV919
Eastern National SD1110, LEV919, a Leyland Titan PD1/1 with Beadle O33/26R body. Originally City Coach LD3, it passed to Westcliff-on-Sea in 1952 and then to Eastern National before conversion to open top in 1959. Later renumbered 2100.
Photo taken Saturday 16 May 1964, Western Esplanade, Southend
41. LEV920
In 1947 City Coach acquired their first double deckers, a batch of four Leyland PD1/1s. Two, as LD4, LEV920, seen here in Romford Market Square on the way to Southend, had lowbridge Beadle bodies.
Photo taken 1940s/early 1950s, Romford Market Square
42. LPU685
Eastern National 128, LPU685, seen at Braintree was a Duple C35F bodied Leyland PS1 which Westcliff had acquired in 1952 from City Coach Company to whom it had been new in 1947 carrying fleet number LS6. Control of Westcliff passed to Eastern National in 1952 as compensation for the loss of half its area with the transfer of the midland area services to United Counties. It was transferred to Eastern National in 1955 when the subsidiary companies were wound up.
Photo taken Saturday 6 December 1958, Braintree Bus Park
43. LPU686
Part of the fleet of Farrans, contractors building new barracks at Reed Hall, Colchester. The Leyland in the middle, KFJ607, was ex Greenslades and still in their colours. On the right is LPU686, a Leyland PS1/1 with Duple body, new as City Coach LS7 and later Eastern National 129.
Photo taken Saturday 20 February 1965, Reed Hall, Colchester
44. LPU690
One of the later City Coach Commers, C7, LPU690, with Heaver body is parked outside Laindon Railway Station. It appears still to be in City brown livery.
Photo taken Laindon Station
45. LPU690
City Coach C7, LPU690, a Commer Commando with Perkins P6 engine and Heaver B33F body new in February 1948, one of a batch of 7 new in 1947/8.
Photo taken 1950, opposite Newbury Park Underground/Bus Station, London Ilford
46. LPU690
A pair of Eastern National Commers, 157, LPU690 and 161, LPU694, seen at Brentwood depot in March 1956.
Photo taken Monday 26 March 1956, Brentwood Depot
47. LPU691
City Coach Commer Q4 (P6 engined)/Heaver LPU691, believed to show one of only two single deckers still in City livery in 1955.
Photo taken Monday 28 February 1955, High Street, Brentwood
48. NVX305
What is almost certainly an official pre-delivery shot of City Coach Company LD8, NVX305, a Leyland PD1A with Roberts L27/26R body, new in 1948 - clues are the absence of any licenses in the license holder in the cab and missing unladen weight figures.
49. NVX310
City Coach's first four double deckers were later supplemented by PD1As with Beadle and Roberts bodies and Daimlers with Roberts bodies. Here, after takeover by Westcliff, the former LD13, NVX310, with Beadle body, heads into Southend along London Road.
Photo taken 1950s, London Road, Southend
50. NVX170
NVX170 was City Coach Company G7, a unique Leyland PS2/11 with Heaver B39C body which had to have an extra axle as it was 30ft long but had this removed when the law changed in 1950.
51. NVX173
City Coach Company Daimler CVD6 D3, NVX173, new to them in 1949 with a Roberts L53R body. Numbered 1218 by EN and withdrawn in 1962.
Photo taken London Wood Green Depot
52. NVX175
Eastern National 1220, NVX175, a Daimler CVD6 with Roberts L53R body, originally in the City Coach fleet.
Photo taken London Road, Victoria Circus, Southend
53. NVX176
A great photo, taken in the June sunshine, of Eastern National SD1221, NVX176, a Daimler CVD6 with Roberts L27/26R body, one of a batch of six new to City Coach in 1949.
Photo taken Sunday 14 June 1959, Victoria Station, Southend
54. NVX176
Eastern National 1221, NVX176, a Daimler CVD6 with Roberts L53R body, originally in the City Coach fleet.
Photo taken London Wood Green Depot
55. NVX302
Eastern National 1122, NVX302, a Leyland PD1A with Roberts L53R body, new to City Coach Co in 1948, then to Westcliff, then to ENOC.
Photo taken Leigh Beck Garage, Canvey Island
56. NVX303
T.D. Alexander (Greyhound), Arbroath ran NVX303 a Roberts L27/26R bodied Leyland PD1A which had previously been Eastern National 1123 and before that Westcliff-on-Sea 1123, having been new in 1949 as City Coach Co. LD6.
Photo taken Wednesday 28 July 1965, Hill Place, Arbroath
57. NVX303
Eastern National 1123, NVX303, a Leyland PD1A with Roberts L53R body new to City Coach as their LD6 and first registered on 1st January 1949.
Photo taken 1959/60, Brentwood Garage Yard
58. NVX305
City Coach Co Leyland PD1/Roberts LD8, NVX305, seen on 28 February 1955 outside the Yorkshire Grey PH in Brentwood, with an all-Leyland PD2 behind - one of the FJN batch ordered by City and delivered in their livery, but here repainted Tilling green with Westcliff fleetnames. This is believed to have been the last double deck in City livery.
Photo taken Monday 28 February 1955, High Street, Brentwood
59. NVX308
Eastern National SD2108, NVX308, Leyland Titan PD1A with Beadle O33/26R body, new to City Coach in 1948.
Photo taken Sunday 18 July 1965, Shoebury Common, Southend
60. NVX310
Seen in Clacton on the service to Jaywick Sands, Eastern National 1130, NVX310, was a Leyland PD1A which had been new in 1949 as City, Brentwood LD13 with a Beadle L26/26R body. It passed to Westcliff and then to Eastern National who rebuilt it to O33/26R in December 1958.
Photo taken Tuesday 1 September 1959, Clacton
61. NVX313
Eastern National 1132, NVX313, was a Leyland PD1A with a Beadle L27/26R body which had been new in February 1949 as City Coach Company, Brentwood LD16 and which passed to Westcliff-on-Sea in February 1952 retaining the fleet number LD16 before being renumbered 1132 in July 1954, and passing to Eastern National in January 1955.
Photo taken Saturday 14 February 1959, Chelmsford Bus Station
62. OEV411
Eastern National 217, OEV411, was a Seddon Mark 4 with Plaxton B31F body new as City Coach Company, Brentwood S4 in August 1949. It passed to Westcliff-on-Sea Motor Services as number 217 in February 1952 and to Eastern National in January 1955.
Photo taken Saturday 14 February 1959, Ingrave Road, Brentwood
63. FJN201
City Coach LD20, FJN201 which had swerved across the pavement and pushed a parked car into the front of a shop.
Photo taken Wednesday 30 July 1952, Woodford Avene, Ilford
64. FJN201
Eastern National BD1135, FJN201, one of the six 1952 Leyland Titan PD2/12 with Leyland L27/26R bodies ordered by City Coach but delivered after they were taken over by Westcliff (which is why they had Southend registrations) and in turn absorbed into the Eastern National fleet in 1955.
Photo taken London Wood Green Depot
65. FJN202
City Coach Company Leyland PD, LD21, FJN202, in City livery as delivered to WMS. Numbered 1137/2117 by EN and after withdrawal operated by Smaller of Barton-on-Humber and Alexander of Sheffield and Arbroath before finally being scrapped in 1969.
Photo taken Tyler's Avenue, Southend
66. FJN202
Eastern National BE2117, FJN202, a Leyland PD2/12 with Leyland L27/26R body from 1952, originally in the Westcliff-on-Sea fleet.
Photo taken Saturday 17 April 1965, Braintree Bus Park
67. FJN202
Eastern National BD1137, FJN202, a Leyland PD2/12 with Leyland L27/26R body from 1952 with a LT trolleybus in the background.
Photo taken London Wood Green
68. FJN203
Eastern National HH2114, FJN203, rear view.
Photo taken Friday 26 March 1965, Lifstans Way/Woodgrange Drive, Southend
69. FJN203
Eastern National HH2114, FJN203, a Leyland PD2/12 with Leyland L27/26R body from 1952, originally in the Westcliff-on-Sea fleet.
Photo taken Friday 26 March 1965, Lifstans Way/Woodgrange Drive, Southend
70. FJN205
Eastern National Leyland PD2/12 1139, FJN205
Photo taken London Wood Green Depot
71. FJN205
Another view of Eastern National 2119, FJN205, a Leyland PD2/12 with Leyland L27/26R body from 1952, originally in the Westcliff-on-Sea fleet
Photo taken Saturday 19 September 1964, Prittlewell Garage, Southend
72. FJN205
Eastern National SD1139, FJN205, a Leyland PD2/12 with Leyland L27/26R body from 1952, originally ordered by City Coach and delivered to Westcliff.
Photo taken Tuesday 7 April 1964, Southchurch Road/Sutton Road, Southend
73. FJN206
City Coach Company Leyland PD2/12, LD25, FJN206, later ENOC 1138 and 2118. Then operated by Super of Upminster and PVS before being scrapped in 1970.
Photo taken High Street, Wickford
74. FJN208
Eastern National 137, FJN208, a Leyland PSU1/13 with Burlingham C39C body, was one of a batch ordered by City Coach Co but by the time they were delivered in 1952, they had been absorbed by Westcliff, hence the Southend registration.
Photo taken c. 1962/3, Victoria Station, Southend