SCT '61 Photo Index
Coventry Corporation
More details at Local Transport History Society Histories

Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. EVC244
Preserved 1940 Daimler COG5/40, EVC244, with Park Royal body newly restored. New to Coventry in April 1940, it was sold in October 1949 to to Derby where it was mostly used for driver training; it was not licensed as a PSV.
Photo taken Sunday 8 July 2012, Aldridge Transport Museum
2. EVC244
Derby 47, EVC244, was a Daimler COG5/40 with a Park Royal B38F body which had been new in April 1940 as Coventry 244. It was acquired by Derby in October 1949 and used mostly for driver training. It was not licensed as a P.S.V. whilst with Derby., and was seen outside the garage.
Photo taken Sunday 14 July 1963, Derby Garage, Ascot Drive
3. EVC244
The recent discussions about Derby 27 have prompted me to submit the above photo. The occasion was the collection of Derby 111 for preservation.
Photo taken Sunday 29 November 1970, Derby Corporation Depot, Ascot Drive
4. EKV944
Coventry 344, EKV944, seen at the Harnall Lane garage, was a Daimler CWA6 new in 1944 with Weymann H30/26R body which was rebuilt in 1952 by Bond, Wythenshawe. It was withdrawn later in 1964.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1964, Harnall Lane Garage
5. EKV966
Preserved Coventry 366, EKV966 a Daimler CWA6 dating from 1944. It entered service with Coventry Corporation Transport in 1945 with a Duple utility body and gained a new Roe Pullman body in 1951. It was withdrawn in 1959 and has been in storage for a long time but renovation work is about to start.
Photo taken Saturday 12 May 2012, at Coventry Transport Museum Reserve collection, Sandy Lane, Coventry
6. EKV966
A picture of preserved Coventry 366, EKV966, under restoration, a Daimler CWA6 dating from 1944, rebodied by Roe in 1951.
Photo taken Sunday 23 March 2014, at a private site in Coventry
7. EKV966
As promised, three recent pictures showing the excellent restoration of EKV966 - Coventry 366 with hand painted adverts - the nearside being for Atkinson's ales and the offside for Senior Service.
Photo taken Friday 26 January 2018, Private site in Staffordshire
8. FHP2
FHP2, new in 1948 as Coventry 2, and seen at the Harnall Lane garage was a Daimler CVA6 with a Metro-Cammell H31/29R body, the second of thirty such buses new that year.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1964, Harnall Lane Garage
9. GKV99
Coventry 99, GKV99, was an A.E.C. 0961 Regent III, the chassis of which was built as early as 1948 but which was not bodied until 1951 when Metro-Cammell had capacity to body it with an H30/26R body to London Transport RT3 specification.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1964, Sandy Lane Garage
10. GKV101
Seen at the Sandy Lane garage, Coventry 101, GKV101, was the first of sixteen Daimler CVD6s with Brush B34F bodies which were new in 1949.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1964, Sandy Lane Garage
11. GKV66
A line up of Daimlers at Harnall Lane Garage headed by 66, GKV66, a Daimler CVA6 with Metro-Cammell H31/29R body.
Photo taken Sunday 20 October 1963, Harnall Lane Garage
12. HKV110
Coventry 110, HKV110, was one of sixteen Brush B34F bodied Daimler CVD6s new in 1949 and was seen at the Harnall Lane garage.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1964, Harnall Lane Garage
13. GKV94
GKV94 is Coventry 94, a Daimler CVA6 with Metro-Cammell H31/29R body and was the first post-war bus type delivered to Coventry Corporation and dates from 1950. In 1970 Smiths of Long Itchington was operating this vehicle on school contracts, still in Coventry maroon but with with the cream over painted with black.
Photo taken Monday 8 February 2016, Quantock Heritage, Somerset
14. GKV94
GKV94 is Coventry 94, a Daimler CVA6 with Metro-Cammell H31/29R body and was the first post-war bus type delivered to Coventry Corporation and dates from 1950.
Photo taken December 2016, Quantock Heritage site, Somerset
15. GKV94
Here's a picture of GKV94 - Coventry 94 - on a short run to test everything. Still lots to do before it can leave Quantock Heritage, but what a fantastic restoration they have done.
Photo taken Friday 14 February 2020, near Wiveliscombe, Somerset
16. GKV94
I thought you would like to see this picture of Coventry 94, GKV94, just after it has emerged from the paint shop. In the next few days it will be driven back to Roger's site where fleet numbers, crests and hand painted adverts will be applied, which will complete this wonderful restoration.
Photo taken July 2020, private site in Staffordshire
17. GKV94
A final set of three pictures showing the hand painted adverts as applied to Coventry 94, GKV94.
Photo taken Saturday 29 August 2020, private site near Coventry
18. GKV100
Seen at the Harnall Lane garage, Coventry 100, GKV100, was a Crossley DD42/7T with a Metro-Cammell H31/27R body which was new in 1951.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1964, Harnall Lane Garage, Coventry
19. JKV122
Supporting home industry, Coventry bought a batch of Maudslay Regent IIIs with Metro-Cammell bodies and 122, JKV122, is seen at Harnall Lane Garage. In reality these were AEC Regent IIIs with Maudslay badges and an M prefix to the chassis number.
Photo taken Sunday 20 October 1963, Harnall Lane Garage
20. JKV123
This Maudslay M9612E Regent III, seen at the Sandy Lane garage, with a Metro-Cammell H31/27R body was new as Coventry 123, JKV123, and was one of nine new in 1951.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1964, Sandy Lane Garage
21. RWK186
Coventry 186 RWK186, one of fifty buses new in 1955/6 is seen in Pool Meadow. It was a Daimler CVG6 with a Metro-Cammell H33/27R body, this being one of those which entered service in 1955.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1964, Pool Meadow, Coventry
22. RWK188
RWK188 was Coventry Corporation 188 and was a Daimler CVG6 with a Metro-Cammell H33/27R body new in 1956.
Photo taken Saturday 28 October 1967, Pool Meadow, Coventry
23. SKV212
Coventry 212, SKV212, new in 1956 was one of fifty buses new in 1955/6 which is seen in Pool Meadow. It was a Daimler CVG6 with a Metro-Cammell H33/27R body.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1964, Pool Meadow, Coventry
24. VWK217
Coventry 217, VWK217, a Daimler CVG6 with Metro-Cammell H33/27R body shows off the brighter red livery.
Photo taken Sunday 14 June 1970, Coventry
25. VWK219
Coventry Corporation 219, VWK219, was a Daimler CVG6 with a Metro-Cammell H33/27R body new in 1958.
Photo taken Saturday 28 October 1967, Pool Meadow, Coventry
26. XRW403
Coventry 403, XRW403, was a Daimler G6HS Freeline with a Willowbrook C41F body new in 1959. It was one of three, 401-403, which were painted in the coach livery of sky blue and cream between 1965/6 and December 1967 when they reverted to standard fleet colours of ivory and red.
Photo taken Sunday 19 March 1967, Coventry
27. XVC287
Seen leaving Pool Meadow is Coventry 287, XVC287, which was a Daimler CVG6 with Metro-Cammell H33/27R body.
Photo taken Sunday 14 June 1970, Pool Meadow, Coventry
28. XVC290
XVC290 is a Daimler CVG6 cut down after hitting a low bridge in 1960s and then used by Coventry CT for tow truck use. Withdrawn by WMPTE, it is part of the Roger Burdett collection and used as yard shunter and tree lopper. Access to interior is by rear door - access to roof is by any convenient ladder.
Photo taken Saturday 12 May 2012, at a private site near Coventry
29. 295RW
Old and new liveries are evident in this picture of Coventry 295, 295RW, a Metro-Cammell H34/29R bodied Daimler CVG6.
Photo taken Sunday 14 June 1970, Coventry
30. 302RW
Just over two months after the Coventry City Transport fleet was subsumed into West Midland P.T.E., one of the survivors of Coventry's once large fleet of 172 Metro-Cammell Orion bodied Daimler CVG6DD buses, 302RW, had already received full P.T.E. livery.
Photo taken Saturday 15 June 1974, Pool Meadow Bus Station, Coventry
31. 313CRW
Coventry Corporation 313, 313CRW, was a Daimler CVG6 with a Metro-Cammell H34/29R body new in 1963.
Photo taken Saturday 28 October 1967, Pool Meadow, Coventry
32. 325CRW
Coventry received twenty-five Metro-Cammell H34/29R bodied Daimler CVG6s in 1963 and 325, 325CRW, is seen here in Pool Meadow.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1964, Pool Meadow, Coventry
33. 333CRW
It is quite rare to have two consecutive bus numbers in preservation and even rarer to see them together. 333CRW and 334CRW are Coventry City Transport Daimler CVG6 with Metro Cammell bodies.
Photo taken Wednesday 15 March 2017, private site near Coventry
34. 334CRW
Coventry City Transport 334, 334CRW, a Daimler CVG6 with Metro Cammell body new in 1963. Fully restored between 2006 and 2009.
Photo taken Saturday 24 March 2012, Bedworth
35. 334CRW
Coventry City Transport 334, 334CRW, a Daimler CVG6 with Metro Cammell body new in 1963.
Photo taken Sunday 4 November 2012, at Lincoln
36. CDU351B
CDU351B was one of the 22 Leyland Atlanteans with Willowbrook H44/32F bodywork which stirred up a political row, when they appeared on the streets of Coventry in January 1964.
Photo taken Saturday 15 June 1974, Coventry
37. CDU51B
CDU51B was a rare vehicle that, when new, was part of the Coventry City Transport fleet. When photographed in March 1976, it was still carrying the undertaking's livery for its small coach fleet although, by then, it was with an unidentified building contractor at Ryton-on-Dunsmore.
Photo taken Saturday 6 March 1976, Ryton-on-Dunsmore
38. CRW361C
As this picture shows, West Midland P.T.E. had relocated former Coventry City Transport 1965 Daimler Fleetline CRG6LX CRW361C, with Willowbrook H44/32F body, to Dudley by 5th June 1976.
Photo taken Saturday 5 June 1976, Dudley Bus Station
39. CRW364C
Entering service in the Spring of 1965, CRW364C was one of Coventry City Transport's first batch of 22 Daimler Fleetlines. These carried Willowbrook H44/32F bodies and closely resembled the Leyland Atlanteans controversially added to the fleet in January 1965.
Photo taken Saturday 23 June 1973, Pool Meadow Bus Station, Coventry
40. CRW503C
Serda, Todmorden, CRW503C, a Bedford VAS1 with Marshall Cambrette B29F body, new to Coventry CT (503) as B30F in 1965, and acquired from Richards, Moylgrove in 1972- whose distinctive livery was retained.
Photo taken July 1972, Station Approach, Todmorden
41. CRW508C
Coventry 508, CRW508C, Bedford VAS1 built in 1965 with Marshall B30F was an unusual choice for a municipal operator, and my pencilled note in BBF 7 indicates that 508 was one man operated and this is confirmed by this view at Pool Meadow. 294RW sits behind with the new Cathedral in the background.
Photo taken August 1968, Pool Meadow, Coventry
42. CKV1D
Politics often played a part in decision making at Municipal Bus Undertakings. Local politicians were instinctively inclined to favour local industries that provided jobs and prosperity for local people. It was no surprise, therefore, that Coventry Corporation (and later Coventry City Transport) was fiercely loyal to the locally built Daimler buses, throughout its existence. It famously created a local furore when, in 1964, its first rear-engined double deckers emerged as Leyland Atlanteans. It mattered not a jot that they were the PDR1/2 model, incorporating Daimler transmission parts under licence.
Photo taken Saturday 23 June 1973, Coventry Pool Meadow Bus Station
43. CKV22D
Coventry City Transport were keen buyers of locally built Daimler chassis although their first rear engined buses were Leyland Atlanteans. Subsequent deliveries reverted to Daimler however. Seen here in Pool Meadow bus station is 22, CKV22D, a 1966 Daimler Fleetline with Neepsend bodywork. West Midlands PTE fleetnames are carried.
Photo taken 1975, Coventry Bus Station
44. KHP518E
When new to Coventry City Transport in February 1967, KHP518E was one of the first six Eastern Coachworks bodied Bristol vehicles to enter service, from new, with an operator outside National Government ownership, since nationalisation in 1948 had precluded such sales.
Photo taken Saturday 5 June 1976, Wolverhampton
45. KRW531F
This must count as one of the most unusual vehicles to be found in a Municipal bus fleet. Coventry City Transport KRW531F was actually one of six similar vehicles in the fleet which were bought to expand the special schools services taken over by the undertaking from other departments of the Corporation.
Photo taken Saturday 23 June 1973, Pool Meadow Bus Station, Coventry
46. KWK23F
Here's a chance to see a rare vehicle. Although it is on Roger's site, and has been for some time, it is not part of his collection. It was last out for the Sandy Lane event in Coventry some years ago. Since then it has been at the very bottom end of his running shed and impossible to photograph. KWK23F, a Daimler CRG6LX with ECW H45/27D body which predates the VR ECW Body. It was new to Coventry City Transport in 1968 as number 23 and is one of first one man operated double-deckers and has several unusual features, such as longitudinal tram like seats.
Photo taken Wednesday 8 April 2020, private site near Coventry
47. KWK25F
West Midlands PTE 1025, KWK25F, a Daimler Fleetline CRG6LX built in 1967 with Eastern Coach Works H45/27D bodywork.
Photo taken August 1980, Pool Meadow, Coventry
48. KWK28F
Coventry 28, KWK28F, was a Daimler CRG6LX Fleetline with Eastern Coachworks H45/27D body seen at Pool Meadow.
Photo taken Sunday 14 June 1970, Pool Meadow, Coventry
49. KKV49G
Coventry on 49, KKV49G
Photo taken Sunday 14 June 1970
50. KKV48G
West Midlands PTE 1048, KKV48G, a Daimler Fleetline CRG6LX built in 1969 with East Lancashire H45/27D bodywork.
Photo taken August 1980, Pool Meadow, Coventry
51. KKV54G
Coventry 54, KKV54G, a 1969 East Lancs bodied Daimler Fleetline is seen at Pool Meadow bus station. It is carrying West Midlands PTE livery; to the rear of 54 is a former Midland Red Daimler Fleetline.
Photo taken 1975, Coventry Bus Station
52. KKV57G
East Lancs H45/27D bodywork was carried by Coventry 57, KKV57G, a Daimler CRG6LX Fleetline seen at Pool Meadow.
Photo taken Sunday 14 June 1970, Pool Meadow, Coventry
53. SWK63J
SWK63J was one of eighteen Park Royal H45/27D bodied Daimler Fleetlines added to the Coventry City Transport fleet in 1970.
Photo taken Saturday 23 June 1973, Pool Meadow Bus Station, Coventry
54. SWK73J
West Midlands PTE 1073, SWK73J, a Daimler Fleetline CRG6LX built in 1970 with Park Royal H45/27D bodywork.
Photo taken August 1980, Pool Meadow, Coventry
55. YVC407L
Coventry 407, YVC407L, a Ford R226 with a Plaxton Panorama Elite II C49F body seen at the R.T.I.T.B. at High Ercall.
Photo taken Sunday 30 September 1973, High Ercall
56. PDU135M
PDU135M is a Daimler Fleetline CRG6LX with East Lancashire H44/30F bodywork, new in 1973 to Coventry Corporation Transport and has been privately owned for many years
Photo taken Monday 31 August 2020, Wythall Transport Museum