SCT '61 Photo Index
Leyland pre-WWII Single Deck
Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. HE12
Preserved Barnsley & District HE12, a Leyland S3 with a Brush 27 seat body, new in April 1913, seen at the Thames Valley 100th anniversary occasion at Bridge Street Maidenhead before departure to Reading.
Photo taken Sunday 2 August 2015, Bridge Street Maidenhead
2. YE9648
City Coach started as a London independent bus operator but diversified in the 1920s with what was later to be their main route, between Kentish Town/Wood Green and Southend. Leyland Lion L17, YE9648, is typical of the vehicles used on this route on its early days.
3. DM2583
DM2583, a Leyland SG7 with Leyland 40 seat body, new to White Rose of Rhyl, North Wales and then to Crosville. Rescued and then very well rebuilt by Mike Sutcliffe
Photo taken Sunday 29 August 2004, Crich Tramway Museum
4. DM2583
Rear view of DM2583, a Leyland SG7 with Leyland 40 seat body, new to White Rose of Rhyl, North Wales and then to Crosville.
Photo taken Sunday 22 September 2002, Duxford
5. DY3344
A Timpson & Sons 69, DY3344, a 1925 Leyland GH7 with unknown 35 seat bodywork. If only the photographer had photoed the magnificent double decker behind!
6. CY4006
A.Timpson & Sons 88, DY4006, a 1926 Leyland C7 with unknown bodywork quoted as 32 or 35 seat. Photographed in the front of the main depot at Catford. The destination board in the front shows Bournemouth - this would be an interesting ride
Photo taken Depot, 175 Rushey Green, Catford
7. FM4303
Crosville MS 267, FM4303, a Leyland PLSC built in 1927 and rebodied by ECOC B31F in 1933.
Photo taken ca 1933, Lowestoft
8. KW2260
This Leyland Lion seen at the Keighley Bus Museum awaiting restoration is the oldest known Bradford City Transport bus. Dating from 1927 this Lion PLSC3 carries a Leyland B36R body. It was 325 KW2260 in the Bradford fleet.
Photo taken Sunday 8 June 2014, Keighley Bus Museum
9. KW474
KW474, a 1927 Leyland Lion PLSC1 with Leyland B31F Body- 'Lincoln No. 1'. This vehicle entered service with Blythe and Berwick of Bradford. It later passed to the West Yorkshire Road Car Company and finally to Jersey Motor Transport in the late 1930s.
Photo taken Sunday 2 November 2014, near LVVS Road Transport Museum
10. TW9347
Len driving 2354, TW9347, giving a mechanic a lift. It was a Leyland PLC1 with Beadle C26D body, new to National Omnibus in June 1927 and passing to Eastern National on its formation in 1930. It was withdrawn in September 1934 and sold the following year.
Photo taken 1920s
11. WE1709
1927 Leyland Lion PLSC WE1709 of Kitsons. In Derek's collection since 1949, what is the history of this coach?
12. MN5105
Isle of Man Road Services 117, MN5105, a Leyland PLSC1 with a Massey B28R body dating from 1928, stands next to 13, MN5454, a Hall Lewis-bodied Thornycroft of 1930.
Photo taken Friday 1 August 2014, Port Erin, IOM
13. VW6010
Len Brown in front of Leyland Lion 2609, VW6010, a PLSC3 with Beadle B31R body, new to National in July 1928, passing to Eastern National on its formation in 1930. It had been withdrawn by September 1943, the body sold the following year and the chassis dismantled in 1945.
Photo taken 1920s
14. VW6010
A second view of Len Brown in front of Leyland Lion 2609 at the Rodney Public House. VW6010 was a PLSC3 with Beadle B31R body, new to National in July 1928, passing to Eastern National on its formation in 1930. It had been withdrawn by September 1943, the body sold the following year and the chassis dismantled in 1945.
Photo taken 1920s
15. VW6010
Len Brown with two workmates in front of a Colchester bus, Leyland Lion 2609, VW6010 which was a PLSC3 with Beadle B31R body, new to National in July 1928, passing to Eastern National on its formation in 1930. It had been withdrawn by September 1943, the body sold the following year and the chassis dismantled in 1945.
Photo taken Chelmsford
16. DM6228
Preserved DM6228 seen at Skircoat Road Garage, Halifax when in the care of a certain General Manager. Taken on the occasion of an Omnibus Touring Circle visit when we were driven round the garage at ever increasing speed on this old timer. DM6228 was a Leyland LTB1 Lioness with a Burlingham C26D body new in 1929 to Brookes Brothers, Rhyl whose business was acquired by Crosville in May 1930 and this became Crosville 435, being withdrawn in 1936.
Photo taken Sunday 8 September 1968, Skircoat Road Garage, Halifax
17. DM6228
Also on the bus service at the South East Bus Festival at Detling was this fine Leyland Lioness charabanc DM6228 of White Rose. It has its canvas roof in place in view of the very cold windy weather.
Photo taken Saturday 28 March 2015, South East Bus Festival at Detling
18. KW6025
KW6025, a rather ferocious looking Leyland Lioness PLC1 charabanc which I have not seen before, the chassis originally new to Bradford in 1929 with a Roe B26F body. It was given a replica body in 1981 and exported to the USA but has obviously now returned.
Photo taken Sunday 17 April 2016, Brooklands Spring Gathering
19. RU8678
Leyland Lion RU8678 appears to be in use as a promotional vehicle at a bus rally at Stratford-on-Avon in, probably, 1970. It was a Leyland PLSC3 with Leyland B35F body, new to Hants & Dorset in 1929 and withdrawn in 1938. Does anyone know anything more of the history of this vehicle and is it still with us?
Photo taken c.1970, Stratford-upon-Avon
20. VL1263
Lincoln 5, VL1263, is Leyland Lion LT1 with locally built Applewhite bodywork, new in 1929, the year that Corporation abandoned the tramway system.
Photo taken 1990, Harrogate
21. KW7604
Preserved Bradford Education Committee KW7604 is a Leyland TA4 Badger with a Plaxton B20F body which was new in 1930.
Photo taken Sunday 5 May 1968, A23, South of Crawley
22. KW794?
A sad and undignified end to all those years of hard work and service to Samuel Ledgard and to the public. The vehicle in the foreground is one of KW7944/5, new to B & B Tours in 1930 and taken over in 1935. It is a Leyland Lion LT1 with Burlingham C31F bodywork. Behind are the sad remains of two of the five Bedford OWBs operated by Samuel Ledgard. Three were new in 1942 (JNW347/8 and JUA670) with Roe bodies, the other two came in 1944 (JUA989/991) with Duple bodies.
Photo taken late 1953, Scrapyard of G.W.Butler, Eller Ghyll, Otley/Menston
23. RB5302
Hulley's of Baslow Leyland Cub RB5302, one of a series of photos given to Keith many years ago when he visited Hulleys.
Photo taken early 1930s, Calver Road, Baslow
24. TF818
Lancashire United 202, TF818, a 1930 Leyland Lion LT1 with Roe bodywork, now in the care of the Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Society.
Photo taken August 1991, Trans-Pennine Rally, Harrogate
25. TF818
Seen at the refreshment stop in Crawley on its way to Brighton was ex-Lancashire United 202, TF818, a Leyland LT1 Lion new in 1930 with a Roe B30F body, which was taking part in the H.C.V.C. run. Next to it is ex-Leeds 139, ANW 682 on its first rally outing after restoration.
Photo taken Sunday 1 May 1977, Crawley
26. TM6315
Eastern National 2980, TM6315, a Leyland LT2 with a Strachan B32R body new in 1930. Possibly taken when new.
27. VR5742
Manchester 28, VR5742, a 1930 Leyland Tiger TS2 with locally built Vulcan body finished by the Corporation.
Photo taken c. 1998, Manchester Museum of Transport
28. VR5996
New in March 1930, a Leyland TS2 Tiger with a Car Works B32R body as Manchester 33, VR5996 was fitted with a similar Car Works "reconstructed" body in 1938. In April 1940 it became Ambulance A313 and was reinstated as a bus in 1945. In 1948 it was withdrawn for conversion and became Canteen A88 in April 1950.
Photo taken Sunday 23 February 1958, Cannon Street Bus Station
29. DV7890
Snaith's of Otterburn DV7890 Leyland Lion L2 built in 1931 with Burlingham bodywork from 1947.
Photo taken Sunday 1 May 2016, Metrocentre coach park, Gateshead
30. DG4038
This Leyland LT5 Lion was new in March 1932 to Richings & Battershall of Staunton with a Harrington C32F body. DG4038 was sold to Marsden, Mossley and rebodied with a Harrington C33F body in April 1947.
Photo taken Saturday 11 August 1956, Leeds Central Bus Station
31. EK8867
Wigan Corporation bought this Leyland Tiger TS4 in 1932 with locally built Santus bodywork. It was 81, EK8867, in the Wigan fleet.
Photo taken 1995, Piece Hall, Halifax
32. EX8867
Wigan 81, EK8867, seen at Brighton having taken part in the H.C.V.C. Rally. The Santus bodied Leyland TS4 was in the early stages of preservation.
Photo taken Sunday 5 May 1968, at Madeira Drive, Brighton
33. FW4480
Lincolnshire RC LC265, FW4480, a Leyland Cub with ECOC B24F bodywork from circa 1932.
Photo taken ca 1932, Lowestoft
34. OY2569
John Bennett (Croydon) Ltd OY2569, a 1932 Leyland TS4 originally with Harrington body rebodied in 1949 with this Strachan C33F body. This is an official Strachan photo as you can see by the embossed stamp in the right hand corner.
Photo taken 1949
35. ABH358
Bounty Motors Leyland Cub ABH358 with a Duple body, new in 1933
Photo taken Sunday 8 May 2011, Wedgewood Centre, Stoke
36. UF9785
Former Southdown 1085, UF9785, a Leyland Tiger TS4 with Harrington C32R body, new in 1933, seen here with Shepherd (contractor).
Photo taken March 1961, Hull
37. UF9785
Second shot of former Southdown 1085, UF9785, a Leyland Tiger TS4 with Harrington C32R body, new in 1933, seen here with Shepherd (contractor).
Photo taken March 1961, Hull
38. AAO574
Cumberland Motors 38, AAO574, a Leyland Lion LT5A with Massey body, built in 1934.
Photo taken circa 1967, Halton Moor, Leeds
39. FM8135
Crosville MS 902, FM8135, a Leyland Lion LT5A built in 1934 with ECOC B32F bodywork.
Photo taken 1934, Lowestoft
40. KY7082
Samuel Ledgard KY7082 was new in 1934 and was acquired with the business of B & B Tours Ltd., Bradford in 1935. The LT5B Lion was fitted in 1953 with the ECW B33R body from East Yorkshire 334 replacing the original C32F body by Wilks & Meade.
Photo taken Monday 21 May 1956, Yeadon
41. RH8930
East Yorkshire 261, RH8930, a Leyland Tiger TS6 built ca 1934 with ECOC C28R bodywork.
Photo taken ca 1934, Lowestoft
42. TJ6760
Preserved Lytham St. Annes TJ6760, a Leyland LT5A with a Leyland B32R body new in 1934.
Photo taken Sunday 5 May 1968, A23, South of Crawley
43. TJ6760
TJ6760 is Lytham St. Anne's 24 (previously a Leyland demonstrator), a Leyland Lion LT5A with Leyland B32R from 1934. It was imported in a poor state from Ontario, Canada in 1998, and is seen having repairs carried out. Body restoration was done in 2006.
Photo taken Thursday 31 January 2013, private site in Staffordshire
44. VD3407
On the left is ex Central SMT VD3407, a Leyland LT5 from 1934, withdrawn in 1947 and to Grey Luxury coaches. The other vehicle is TW8931.
45. VD3433
This Leyland Lion LT5A, VD3433, was new to Central SMT in 1934, one of 110 ordered by them and Lanarkshire Traction. Originally fitted with a Leyland bodywork. It was withdrawn in 1945 and sold to Alexander who fitted this semi-utility Alexander body and a diesel engine. It operated on Perth city services in this red livery.
Photo taken 1997, Dunbar
46. WG2373
Blessed are the Cheesemakers! Former Alexander P169, WG2373, is a 1934 Leyland Lion LT5B with a 1947 Burlingham B35F body. It is seen running for Cumbria Classic Coaches on a local Yorkshire Dales tourist service to the Wensleydale Creamery, Hawes.
Photo taken Tuesday 29 September 1998, Hawes
47. WG2373
This Leyland Lion LT5B was new to Alexander in 1934 as their P169, WG2373. It was rebodied by Burlingham in 1947 and finally withdrawn by Alexander in 1960.
Photo taken Saturday 27 May 2000, Barnard Castle
48. WG2376
Lawson, Kirkintilloch P172, WG2376, was a Leyland LT5B Lion new to W. Alexander in 1934 with an Alexander C32F body which was rebodied in 1947 with a Burlingham B35F body. Transferred to Lawson in 1953 it is seen here at Dundas Street Bus Station in Glasgow.
Photo taken Tuesday 14 April 1959, Dundas Street Bus Station, Glasgow
49.
A fine line-up of former City Coach LTs in the yard of the Westcliff Fairfax Drive depot after takeover by Westcliff, probably in 1951 or early 1952. Not all are identifiable, but they include LTs 31 and 33.
Photo taken c. 1951/2, Fairfax Drive Depot, Southend
50. AAX27
Former West Mon Omnibus Board 13, AAX27, a Leyland Beaver TSC9 new in 1935 with a Weymann B32R body, but rebodied by Burlingham as B32F in 1944/45. It was further modified by W. Meredith with sliding windows in 1952/53. Withdrawn in 1959, and acquired by the West of England Transport Collection, it passed to David Hoare of Chepstow in 1974. The body was scrapped in 1976. It was loaned to Jasper Pettie, Edinburgh in 1980 and restored as a replica of Alexander lorry 158.
Photo taken early 1974, West of England Transport Collection, Winkleigh
51. AAX27
Second photo of former West Mon Omnibus Board 13, AAX27, a Leyland Beaver TSC9 new in 1935 rebodied by Burlingham as B32F in 1944/45.
Photo taken early 1974, West of England Transport Collection, Winkleigh
52. ATD683
Seen outside the garage in Widnes on trade plate '0083 B' is the towing vehicle which had been new as number 39, ATD683, in 1935. The Leyland LT7 with a Massey B32R body was converted for its towing duties in 1952 and was sold to Widnes 39 Group, Liverpool in January 1968 for preservation.
Photo taken Saturday 9 September 1967, Widnes Garage
53. BAL399
New in March 1935 as Barton 199 with a Duple DP39F body, Leyland LT7 Lion BAL399 received a new Duple DP39F body in July 1942, the body being to pre-war standards with a few 'utility' features. In November 1952 it was fitted with a Leyland 8.6 litre oil engine and in June 1953 it received the 1948 Duple C35F body from Leyland PS1/1 JRR 919 and was renumbered 539 taking the number of the donated body.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1959
54. BXD628
London Transport C4, BXD628, first time on the road for some time. It is a Leyland Cub, new in 1935.
Photo taken Saturday 1 December 2012, Lakeside Shopping Centre, Thurrock
55. BXD628
Rear view of London Transport C4, BXD628, first time on the road for some time, a Leyland Cub, new in 1935
Photo taken Saturday 1 December 2012, Lakeside Shopping Centre, Thurrock
56. BXD628
A regular series of transport fairs are held at Theydon Bois Village Hall and vintage London buses are normally there providing linking services and local rides. One of the vehicles at the event on Saturday 20th April was LT Leyland Cub C4 BXD628 from the Ensignbus vintage fleet, seen here approaching the Village Hall returning from one of its trips.
Photo taken Saturday 20 April 2013, Theydon Bois
57. BXD682
Ex-LT Leyland Cub C57 BXD682 in Stockwell in May (probably) 1957, when in use by Mansfield House Settlement, London E3, who had it from 1954 to (probably) 1962.
Photo taken May 1957, Stockwell
58. CS2005
Western S.M.T. 47, CS2005, was a Leyland TS7 which had been new in 1935 with a Leyland B32R body. It was fitted with a new Alexander C35F body in May 1950 as seen here in Dumfries and was withdrawn in 1963, passing via Milburn Motors (dealer), Glasgow to Buchan, Burgess Hill.
Photo taken Tuesday 5 June 1962, Whitesands, Dumfries
59. CUL804
CUL804 was City Coach Company LT10, a six-wheel Leyland TS7T from 1936 rebodied as shown by Heaver in 1947. Later WMS/EN 108 and withdrawn in 1955.
60. CXL826
Many of the City Coach pre-war LTs were rebodied by Heaver in 1947, LT13, CXL826, here having a full fronted body and painted in a mainly brown livery, parked in the yard of the depot at Brentwood.
Photo taken Brentwood Garage
61. CXW440
During 1935-7 a large batch of new vehicles were acquired by City Coach for the main London to Southend service, 35 six wheeled Leyland TS7s. Here is a pre-war view of LT15, CXW440.
62. DUC902
City Coach LT26, DUC902, was one of the Leyland TS7 rebuilds with half cab bodies and here is in a mainly cream livery. It is at the stop outside Tyler's Avenue depot in November 1951.
Photo taken November 1951, Tylers Avenue, Southend
63. DUC902
A later shot of former LT26, DUC902, after City Coach had been taken over by Westcliff. It is now in green livery with Westcliff fleetname, but carries its Eastern National fleet number 115.
Photo taken Tylers Avenue, Southend
64. DUC904
The City Coach LTs survived the war and many were still in service with their original bodies to the end of the City Company. Here, LT28, DUC904, has arrived at the stop outside the City depot in Tyler's Avenue, Southend in November 1951.
Photo taken November 1951, Tyler's Avenue, Southend
65. DUC906
One of the unrebuilt City Coach LTs with contractor Lehane, MacKensie and Shand after sale by Westcliff. It is former LT30, DUC906, at Chapel St. Leonards, just north of Skegness, in Summer 1954.
Photo taken Tuesday 27 July 1954, Chapel St. Leonards, Skegness
66. FV5737
Ribble FV5737, a Leyland TS7 with English Electric C31F body new to Standerwick in 1935, pictured on a running day in Hove, Sussex.
Photo taken 1980's, King George V Avenue, Hove
67. FW5696
Preserved ex-Linconshire Road Car Company Ltd 1409, FW5696, a 1935 Leyland Tiger TS7 with Burlingham B35F body.
Photo taken Sunday 20 April 2003, Open Day, LVVS Road Transport Museum, Lincoln
68. FW5696
Preserved ex-Linconshire Road Car Company Ltd 1409, FW5696, a 1935 Leyland Tiger TS7 with Burlingham B35F body.
Photo taken Sunday 4 November 2001, Lincoln Transport Museum
69. FW5698
Rear view of preserved ex-Linconshire Road Car Company Ltd 1411, FW5698, a 1935 Leyland Tiger TS7 with Burlingham B35F body with similar FW5696 in the lead.
Photo taken Sunday 20 April 2003, Lincoln Transport Museum
70. FW5698
FW5698, Lincolnshire Road Car 1411, is a 1935 Leyland Tiger TS7 with Burlingham B35F body, part of the LVVS collection.
Photo taken Sunday 1 November 2009, near LVVS Road Transport Museum, Lincoln
71. HE6762
Yorkshire Traction 492, HE6762, a 1935 Leyland Tiger TS7 was rebodied by Weymann in 1950. It is retained by Stagecoach Yorkshire as an event vehicle and wedding bus.
Photo taken Sunday 11 September 2005, Meadowhall, Sheffield
72. RN7588
Ribble Motor Services had a number of Leyland Tigers rebodied by Burlingham after the war. Typical of the breed is 209. RN7588. a 1935 Leyland Tiger TS7 with a 1949 35 seat Burlingham body. When new this bus carried an English Electric coach body Prior to being secured for preservation it spent some time as a gasrden shed in Clevelys!
Photo taken December 2001, Manchester Museum of Transport
73. VD1684
Leyland Tiger / Alexander VD1684
Photo taken August 1961, Garvic Fair
74. WG2334
WG2334, a Leyland Lion LT5B, originally fitted with an Alexander body and new to W. Alexander (P286). Later rebuilt, it was further rebuilt as a tow wagon (184) in 1955, passing to Alexander (Northern) on the division of the original company into three smaller ones.
Photo taken early 1974, WETC, Winkleigh, Devon
75. WG2392
Lawson, Kirkintilloch P723, WG2392 was a Leyland LT5A Lion new to W. Alexander in 1935 with an Alexander B36F body being rebodied in 1945 with a new Alexander B36F body. It was transferred to Lawson in 1953 and is seen here at Dundas Street Bus Station in Glasgow.
Photo taken Tuesday 14 April 1959, Dundas Street Bus Station, Glasgow
76. WH6577
Ribble 768, WH6577, a Leyland TS6, new to Christy, Bolton in 1935 and acquired in 1938, rebodied with a Duple C31F body in 1950 is seen here in June 1959 in the parking area used for the Saturday overflow from Wellington Street coach station during the summer months.
Photo taken Saturday 13 June 1959, parking area between Castle Street and Saville Street, Leeds
77. WH6577
Cliff Owen, Progress Motors, WH6577, a Leyland TS6 new in 1935 and rebodied with a Duple C31F body in 1950, former Ribble 768.
Photo taken May 1964, Blackpool
78. WN7754
Wooliscroft (Silver Service), Darley Dale 8, WN7754, was a Leyland TS7 fitted with a Willowbrook DP35F body dating from 1949.
Photo taken Saturday 3 October 1959, Matlock Bus Station
79. WS4522
Not entirely what it seems is SMT H110A, WS4522, a Leyland Tiger TS7 first licensed on 1 August 1935 but now with the Cowieson B34RD body off 1934 AEC Regal IV B124 (FS8584).
Photo taken Saturday 15 August 2015, SVBM Lathalmond
80.
A photo of one of Hunters of Seaton Deleval pre war Leyland TS7s rebodied by Chas Roe with Darlington style centre entrance bodies, possibly either 10, JR 4901, a Leyland TS7 new in 1936 with a Burlingham C33F body and rebodied with a Roe B39C body in 1953, renumbered 20 and withdrawn in June 1961 or 11, JR 6600, a TS7 with Burlingham C33F body from 1937 and rebodied Roe B39C in 1954, renumbered 21 and withdrawn in 1962.
Photo taken 1962, Seaton Delaval
81. ATF477
ATF477, a 1936 Leyland Tiger TS7T with rare Fowler body new to Singletons of Leyland, Lancashire, on display at the Fishwicks 90th event at Leyland.
Photo taken Saturday 27 September 1997, Fishwick's Depot, Tuer Street, Leyland
82. ATF477
This is a slide taken at Winkleigh in the 1978 and shows ATF477, the well known Leyland Tiger TS6 with Fowler bodywork thankfully still with us.
Photo taken Sunday 1 October 1978, Winkleigh
83. BDV1
BDV1, a 1936 Leyland Tiger TS7, new to Devon General (110) with petrol engine and Harrington B32F body.
Photo taken July 1964, Tipperary, Eire
84. BHL880
West Riding 679, BHL880, was a Leyland TS7 dating from 1936 and was originally registered VH 8802 as County Motors 52. It was rebuilt and fitted with the Roe B32F body and then re-registered before entering service with West Riding in 1948.
Photo taken Monday 22 April 1957
85. BTB928
Lytham St Annes 34, BTB928, a 1936 Leyland Lion LT7c with Leyland 34 seat body.
Photo taken c.1995, Halifax Rally
86. BVO453
Barton 253, BVO453, was the second of sixteen Leyland LT7 Lions with Duple DP39F bodies new in March 1936. It received a new Burlingham B36F body in 1943 using seats from the original body and was further rebodied in late 1948 with a Duple C39F body, being fitted with a Leyland 8.6 litre oil engine in 1950. Withdrawn in September 1960 it was one of four used as store sheds by Barton and was scrapped in August 1963.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1959
87. BVO456
Barton 256, BVO456, seen in the yard at Chilwell, was a Leyland LT7 Lion with a Duple DP39F body new in March 1936.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1959, Chilwell
88. BVO466
Barton 494, BVO466,was a Leyland LT7 Lion and had a Duple DP39F body when new in March 1936 with fleet number 266.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1959, Chilwell
89. CKO970
Maidstone & District CO567, CKO970, was a 1936 Leyland TS7 Tiger which had been rebodied in 1950 with a Harrington C32F body and is seen at Ascot.
Photo taken Saturday 19 July 1958, Ascot
90. CS3364
Looking for information about this vehicle, seen locked away in a shed in Lathalmond, photo taken with permission.
Photo taken Sunday 16 August 2015, Lathalmond
91. CUF404
CUF404 is a Leyland Cub KPZ1, one of a batch of three new in July 1936 with a Harrington C14F body to Southdown Motor Services, no. 4. When new they had a folding canvas roof, but were rebuilt around 1939 with glass quarter lights and a sliding roof.
Photo taken Sunday 3 May 1964, Madeira Drive, Brighton
92. CUG841
Samuel Ledgard CUG841 seen here at Yeadon was new to Ledgard in 1936 and is a Leyland TS7 with an English Electric C32F body although by the time of this photograph bus seats from ex-LTE vehicles had been fitted. It was withdrawn later in 1956.
Photo taken Monday 21 May 1956, Yeadon
93. CUG842
Official English Electric photograph of Samuel Ledgard CUG842 when new in 1936, a Leyland TS7 with an English Electric C32F body.
Photo taken 1936
94. CUL804
A second view of City Coach Company LT10, CUL804, a six-wheel Leyland TS7T from 1936 rebodied by Heaver in 1947. Later WMS/EN 108 and withdrawn in 1955.
Photo taken Tylers Avenue, Southend
95. DUB82
Samuel Ledgard DUB82, a 1936 Leyland Cheetah LZ with delightfully "traditional" Barnaby bodywork.
Photo taken mid 1952, Crossgate, Otley
96. FM9986
Crosville K103, FM9986, a Leyland TS7 with Harrington 32 seat coach body new in 1936
97. FV5742
Leyland TS7 FV5742, seen in Dunoon, was new in 1936 with an English Electric C31F body as Standerwick, Blackpool 86. It was renumbered 34 in 1946 and passed to Ribble as number 1466 in March 1948. In 1950 it was fitted with a new Duple C31F body (8'0" wide) and equipped with a Leyland E181 7.4 litre engine replacing the original petrol engine and then renumbered 755 in 1951. After withdrawal in September 1960 it passed to Millburn Motors (dealer) and to Dunoon Motor Services in June 1961.
Photo taken Monday 11 June 1962, Dunoon Pier
98. FW7100
Lincolnshire 1435, FW7100, was a 1936 Leyland TS7 which was rebodied in 1948 with a Burlingham B35F body.
Photo taken Tuesday 16 August 1955, Skegness Bus Station
99. HL7516
West Riding 442, HL7516, a Leyland TS7c with Roe B32F body new in 1936 seen here in Leeds Central Bus Station was to last until November 1956.
Photo taken Thursday 5 April 1956, Leeds Central Bus Station
100. HL7520
West Riding 446, HL7520, a 1936 Leyland TS7c with Roe B34F body seen in Leeds Bus Station in June 1959 still carrying its original body which had been reconditioned in 1948 and upseated from 32 to 34 in 1956.
Photo taken Saturday 13 June 1959, Leeds Central Bus Station
101. HL7537
Hayes, Horsforth HL7537 was a Leyland KPZ2 Cub with Roe B24F body new to West Riding in 1936 as number 463. It passed to Hayes in May 1949, was withdrawn in October 1955 and used thereafter for staff transport for Hayes' Ford agency.
Photo taken Tuesday 11 June 1957
102. HL7538
West Riding 464, HL7538, a 1936 Leyland Cub KPZ2 with Roe bodywork.
Photo taken Sunday 3 August 2008, Harrogate
103. HS9141
HS9141, a 1936/7 Leyland TD4
Photo taken c. 1951/2, Court Street, Tonypandy, Glamorgan
104. JA7591
Stockport 191, JA7591, a Leyland TS7 with English Electric body new in 1936
Photo taken May 1997, Manchester Museum of Transport
105. JA7591
Former Stockport Corporation 191, JA7591, a Leyland Tiger TS7 with English Electric B35C body, new in 1936. It had later passed to the Corporation's Welfare Department, in whose livery it is seen here.
Photo taken early 1974, WETC, Winkleigh, Devon
106. JA7591
An interior view, looking to the front, of JA7591, a Leyland TS7 ex-Stockport 191.
Photo taken Sunday 7 October 1979, Winkleigh
107. JA7591
An interior view, looking to the rear, of JA7591, a Leyland TS7 ex-Stockport 191.
Photo taken Sunday 7 October 1979, Winkleigh
108. JA7591
JA7591, a Leyland TS7, had been new in 1936 with an English Electric B35C body as Stockport 191, but had, after withdrawal, been converted for welfare use in 1962 and passed to the Hospital Committee for use as a disabled persons bus and is seen at Winkleigh.
Photo taken Sunday 7 October 1979, Winkleigh
109. JA7592
Stockport Corporation 192, JA7592, a Leyland Tiger TS7 with English Electric
Photo taken Monday 3 August 1959, Stockport Garage
110. RN7745
Seen here in Dunoon, RN7745 was acquired by Dunoon Motor Services in July 1961 after its sale by Ribble to Millburn Motors (dealer) by June 1961. It was a Leyland TS7 which had been new in 1936 as Ribble 1495 with a Duple C31F body. In 1950 it was fitted with a new Duple C31F body (8'0" wide) and equipped with a Leyland E181 7.4 litre engine and renumbered to 757. Note that it is operating the "LOCAL Dunoon Circular" service.
Photo taken Monday 11 June 1962, Pier Promenade, Dunoon
111. RN7749
RN7749, seen in Dunoon with Dunoon Motor Services, was a Leyland TS7 which had been new in 1936 as Ribble 1499 with a Duple C31F body. In 1950 it was fitted with a new Duple C31F body (8'0" wide) and equipped with a Leyland E181 7.4 litre engine and renumbered to 759 which it still carries in this photograph.
Photo taken Monday 11 June 1962, Dunoon Pier
112. RN7824
Ex Ribble 1568, RN7824 a 1936 Leyland Cheetah LZ2 with Brush C31F body.
Photo taken Sunday 25 May 2014, RVPT Running Day, Morecambe
113. WS8059
Ken has virtually no information on this picture other than it is captioned Smiths of Reading. It is scanned from a very poor 3x2 print. It is obviously Scottish in origin, and he's ascertained that Smiths had some Leyland Cheetah's from which they removed the bodies and transferred them to other chassis. Apart from that it's open to you all to fill in the blanks.
Photo taken 1950's
114. ABE329
Lincolnshire Road Car LT522, ABE329, a 1937 Leyland Tiger TS
115. ASF365
ASF365 is a Leyland Tiger TS7, new in June 1937 to Walter Alexander, fleet no. P808. It was rebodied in 1951 with a Duple C33F body and later passed to Paterson, Dufftown, Moray, Scotland, by whom it had been withdrawn by the time of this photograph.
Photo taken July 1971, location unknown, but presumably Dufftown, Moray
116. BFM144
Preserved Crosville KA27, BFM144, a Leyland Tiger TS7 built in 1937 with ECW B32F bodywork.
Photo taken July 1987, North Wales (Betws y Coed?)
117. CRR678
East Midland N78, CRR678, was a Leyland TS7 new as E78 in 1937 with an ECW DP31R body. It is seen here at Glasgow Paddocks Bus Station, Doncaster carrying the Willowbrook B35R body fitted in 1948 when it was renumbered.
Photo taken Friday 19 April 1957, Glasgow Paddocks Bus Station, Doncaster
118. DKT11
Seen at Victoria Coach Station is Maidstone & District CO553, DKT11, a Leyland TS7 Tiger new in 1937 with a Harrington C32F body with a full length roof rack for carrying band instruments. It was rebodied in May 1950 with a Harrington C32F body also fitted with a full length roof rack for carrying band instruments. The coach behind is SRR 333, a Harrington Contender of Thomas, North Muskham.
Photo taken Saturday 17 June 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
119. DKT16
Preserved Maidstone & District CO558, DKT16, a 1937 Leyland Tiger TS7 with a Harrington C32F body, rebuilt by them in 1950.
Photo taken Saturday 9 April 2011, Kent Showground, Detling
120. DNN239
Barton 544, DNN239, was new in July 1937 as number 311 and was a Leyland LT7 Lion with a Duple DP39F body.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1959, Chilwell
121. DUC901
A line up of City Coach Leyland TS7Ds LT25, DUC901, and LT22, CYO194, alongside Regal MV2272
Photo taken Brentwood Depot
122. DUF179
Preserved ex-Southdown 1179, DUF179, a 1937 Leyland Tiger TS7 with a Harrington 32 seat rear entrance body. Withdrawn by Southdown in 1956.
Photo taken Sunday 18 July 2004, Watercress Line Rally, Alton
123. DUF179
Southdown 1179, DUF179, the immaculately preserved Harrington-bodied Leyland TS7, has been a well-loved bus on the rally scene for many years, including the Trans-Pennine Run.
Photo taken August 1976, Otley
124. DUF179
Southdown Leyland Tiger DUF179, making its debut after a thorough restoration by Ensign at the Vintage Running Day.
Photo taken Saturday 7 December 2013, Lakeside Bus Station, Thurrock
125. EEH109
EEH109 was the first of a batch of 26 Leyland Tiger TS7s new in 1937 to Potteries Motor Traction (PMT). The batch had mixed bodybuilders, including Burlingham and Weymann, but this had a Brush B35F body and was numbered 267 in the PMT fleet.
Photo taken April 1966, Boroughbridge
126. EUG124
Samuel Ledgard EUG124, a Leyland TS7 new to Ledgard in 1937 with a Duple C32F body here carries an ECW DP32F body from United LLE10 fitted in July 1955 and is seen entering the approach road to the Goods Yard at Leeds Central Station.
Photo taken Tuesday 22 May 1956, Wellington Street, Central Station Yard, Leeds
127. EUG126
Samuel Ledgard EUG126, seen here with its original Duple C33F body in Park Lane, Leeds, is a Leyland TS7 new to Ledgard in 1937.
Photo taken Saturday 6 October 1956, Park Place, Leeds
128. FV9044
FV9044 is a Preserved ex Blackpool Corporation 1937 Leyland TS7 which was converted to an engineers tender. Originally No 7 carried a Burlingham FB34C body.
Photo taken Sunday 29 July 2007, at Marine Parade, Worthing
129. FW8825
Malta Y-0340, a Leyland Tiger TS7 built in 1937 with Barbara B40F bodywork from 1961. In a previous life this had been registered FW8825 and had been 1446 with Lincolnshire RC carrying a Brush B34F body.
Photo taken 1993?, Valletta Bus Station, Malta
130. HE7776
In 1937 Yorkshire Traction placed thirty Leyland TS7s in service with a mixture of B32F bodies by Roe (551-560, 565-574) and Eastern Coachworks (561-564) or with Burlingham C31F bodies (575-580). The Burlingham bodied ones originally had petrol engines and received Leyland 8.6 litre diesel engines and new Roberts B34F bodies to the B.E.T. Federation specification in 1947/8. HE7776, the last of the Burlingham bodied ones received its new body in March 1948 and was withdrawn in 1957.
Photo taken Sunday 5 August 1956, near Barnsley Bus Station
131. HL8063
West Riding 343, HL8063, was a Leyland TS7 new as Bullock 209 in 1937 with a Barnaby B35F body. It was rebodied, as seen here with a Longford C33F body and renumbered in 1949, passing to West Riding in 1950.
Photo taken Saturday 7 April 1956, Wakefield Bus Station
132. HL8064
West Riding 344, HL8064, was a Leyland TS7 with Longford C33F body. It started life as Bullock's 210 in 1937 with a Barnaby body and was rebodied (as seen) in 1949.
Photo taken 1963, Leeds Central Bus Station
133. HL8233
West Riding 500, HL8233, the last of a batch of thirty-one Roe B32F bodied Leyland TS7s new in 1937 passing the West Riding Offices and Garage at Belle Isle.
Photo taken Saturday 19 May 1956, Barnsley Road, Belle Isle, Wakefield
134. JA7597
Stockport 197, JA7597, an English Electric B35C bodied Leyland TS7 new in 1937 seen in Mersey Square.
Photo taken Wednesday 12 February 1958, Mersey Square, Stockport
135. JA7601
Stockport Corporation 201, JA7601, a Leyland TS8 with English Electric B35C body dating from 1937
Photo taken Wednesday 29 April 1959, Heaton Moor Road, Heaton Moor
136. JG9938
JG9938 is a preserved ex East Kent 1937 Leyland Tiger TS8 with Park Royal C32R bodywork. It is seen here on Marine Parade, Worthing whilst participating in the 2012 Worthing Bus Rally.
Photo taken Sunday 29 July 2012, Marine Parade, Worthing
137. JG9938
East Kent Leyland TS8 with Park Royal C32R body, JG9938, waits outside the hotel for its passengers. It dates from 1937
Photo taken Saturday 6 June 2009, The Leas, Folkestone
138. JG9938
As is usual at the Kent Showground site, many of the buses earned their keep on a service linking the car park with the various displays. The vehicles used varied in age from the inevitable Borismaster (LT5, for the record) to 1937 East Kent TS8/Park Royal coach JG9938.
Photo taken Saturday 5 April 2014, Kent Showground, Detling
139. WG4445
Alexander P331, WG4445, looks more modern at first glance than it is and is seen at the end of the 1976 Trans-Pennine Run in Harrogate and appears to be having some attention. This vehicle was new to Simpsons and Forresters as their 45 in 1937 and absorbed into the Alexander fleet the following year. In 1949 it was rebodied Alexander C30F and ran as a tour coach in the Lawson fleet, but was fitted with 39 bus seats in 1959. It passed to the Midland fleet on the division of W. Alexander in 1961 but didn't run for them very long.
Photo taken Sunday 1 August 1976, Trans-Pennine Rally, Knaresborough Road Stray, Harrogate
140. WG4445
WG4445, a Leyland TS7 chassis with 1949 Alexander body has had a complicated existence in the Alexander, Lawsons and finally Midland fleets. It was preserved and in 1975 was hired for a wedding in north Glasgow.
Photo taken July 1975, North Glasgow
141.
An as yet unidentified (by me at least) Leyland Tiger coach - probably a TS7.
Photo taken early 1974, WETC, Winkleigh, Devon
142. ATF477
A fine pair. On the left is ATF477, a Leyland Tiger TS7T with a 10-litre petrol engine and fitted with a Fowler C39F body, new to Singleton's of Leyland. On the right is DOD474, an AEC Regal 0662 with Weymann B35F body, new in 1940 to Devon General (SR474) and withdrawn in 1952.
Photo taken early 1974, WETC, Winkleigh, Devon
143. CAC782
Brooks Leyland Cheetah LZ CAC782, new in May 1938 with a Waveney C35F body. Ex Lymm Twogates, w/d by 1953 to A.Armstrong Leicester.
Photo taken July 1950, opposite Brooks Garage, Mount Pleasant Road, Castle Gresley
144. CTF423
Lancashire United 114, CTF423, a 1938 Leyland Tiger TS8 with Roe B30F bodywork. The bus carries headlamp masks and white edging to guard rails and mudguards to simulate wartime coditions. LUT did not use roller blinds but had a system of drop in stencils which were backlit in the dark
Photo taken Sunday 12 October 2008, Bolton Abbey
145. CVE551
Seen in King Charles Street, Leeds opposite the King Charles Model Centre is CVE551, a Leyland SKPZ2 Cub with a Harrington C26F body in the fleet of Cawthorne (Majestic Motors), Barugh.
Photo taken Saturday 30 July 1955, King Charles Street, Leeds
146. EFJ666
Prior to the second world war the Sheffield based firm of Cravens built buses for a wide range of customers. One such was Exeter Corporation who bought this Leyland Tiger TS8 in 1938. Part of a batch of five numbered 65-70, 66 EFJ666 was withdrawn from service in Exeter in 1957 and is now preserved.
Photo taken Sunday 24 April 2011, Brough
147. EFJ666
Exeter 66, EFJ666, is the wonderful Leyland TS8 with a Craven B32R body dating from 1938.
Photo taken Sunday 10 August 1969, Harrogate
148. EN7702
New to Bury Corporation in 1938 as number 73, EN7702 was a Leyland TS8c with a Burlingham B36F body. In November 1951 the torque converter was replaced by a normal clutch and gearbox and the body replaced by a Massey H30/26R one.
Photo taken Monday 11 June 1962, Dunoon Pier
149. FCD251
Southdown 1451, FCD251, a 1938 Leyland Tiger TS8 with Harrington B32R coachwork is seen at Brighton's Pool Valley ready to work a service 30 journey to Chelwood Common (for East Grinstead) according to the Ian Allan ABC. Particularly impressive is the side destination arrangement. A similar bus is parked alongside.
Photo taken c.1950, Pool Valley Bus Station, Brighton
150. GNW702
GNW702, ex-Leeds 19, Leyland TS8/Roe B36R entered service in June 1938. After withdrawal in December 1954 it was converted by C.H.Roe for use by Leeds Welfare Services and was withdrawn in October 1960.
Photo taken Monday 2 January 1956, Hunslet Road, Leeds
151. GNW704
Leeds 21, GNW704, a Leyland TS8/Roe B36R photographed at Bramley Town End on one of the two routes which required single deck vehicles.
Photo taken Monday 1 November 1954, Bramley Town End
152. GNW707
Seen at the Greenthorpe terminus in Pudsey Road, of the route from there to Long Causeway is Leeds 24, GNW707, one of eight Leyand TS8s with Roe B36R bodies new in 1938. It will pass under a low bridge in Henconner Lane and over a weak bridge at Kirkstall during its journey. Withdrawn on 29th April 1955, it passed to A. Brownridge, Leeds in July and then to Musgrave Motors, South Kirkby in September 1956 and was withdrawn in August 1959, passing to North (dealer), Leeds in October.
Photo taken Sunday 20 March 1955, Pudsey Road, Greenthorpe
153. GNW708
At Cockshott Lane, Bramley, about to turn left into Stanningley Road, on its way from Meanwood to Wortley, is Leeds 25, GNW708, one of eight Leyland TS8s with Roe B36R bodies new in 1938.
Photo taken Sunday 14 November 1954, Cockshott Lane, Bramley
154. GNW709
The last of eight Leyland TS8s with Roe B36R bodies new in 1938, seen at Bridge Road, Kirkstall, Leeds 26, GNW709, is on the route from Meanwood to Wortley.
Photo taken Sunday 27 February 1955, Bridge Road, Kirkstall, Leeds
155. HL8815
West Riding 223, HL8815, was a Leyland TS8 with Barnaby C32F body new to Bullock & Sons in 1938 and was acquired with the Bullock operation in 1950. Fitted originally with a Barnaby C32F body the one illustrated was an early post war replacement by the same builder.
Photo taken Saturday 7 April 1956, Wakefield Bus Station
156. JG9966
Ex East Kent JG9966, a 1938 Leyland TS8 with Park Royal body in use as a showman's caravan with funfair at the Colchester Recreation Ground.
Photo taken Saturday 12 September 1964, Colchester Recreation Ground
157. BAJ846
Tees-side Railless Traction Board BAJ846, a Leyland Tiger TS8 converted to a tower wagon. New in 1939 with a Willowbrook body and numbered 25.
Photo taken January 1968, South Bank Depot
158. CHL721
West Riding 336, CHL721, a Leyland Tiger TS8 new in 1939 with a 1949 Longford C33F body, ex Bullocks in 1950.
Photo taken 1962, Castleford Depot
159. CYO190
City Coach LT18, CYO190, rebodied Leyland Tiger TS7T/Heaver, still in City livery in 1955 - thought to have been one of the last 3 vehicles in their brown and cream
Photo taken 1955, Ingrave Road, Brentwood
160. DPT848
Sunderland District 159, DPT848, is a Leyland Tiger TS8 with Roe B32F bodywork. It was new to the SDO in 1939 and was withdrawn in 1954.
Photo taken c.2007, Bents Park, South Shields
161. EHN984
United Automobile Services LLE28, EHN984, a Leyland TS8 with ECW C32F body, one of ten dating from 1939, waits in Wellington Street coach station, Leeds to take up service to Middlesbrough.
Photo taken Saturday 9 March 1957, Wellington Street Coach Station, Leeds
162. EYA923
EYA923 is a Leyland Cheetah with Harrington C31F body, new in 1939 to Blue Motors of Minehead in Somerset. After service with two operators and then after 1958 in use as a holiday home and a summer house, it passed into preservation in the late 1980s.
Photo taken Sunday 20 July 2003, Alton
163. EYA923
EYA923, a Leyland Cheetah LZ5 with Harrington C31F Body new in 1939 to Porlock Blue of Minehead and now preserved
Photo taken Sunday 29 July 2012, Marine Parade, Worthing
164. FRB714
Midland General single decker 149, FRB714, in Market Place, Heanor under the wires of Notts and Derby Traction's Nottingham to Ripley route. 149 was a Leyland TS8 with Weymann DP35F body, new in 1939 and clocked up a very creditable twenty years service, being withdrawn in 1959.
Photo taken March 1951, Heanor Market Place
165. FXT120
Former London CR14, FXT120, is one of the unusual LPTB-bodied Leyland Cubs dating from 1939. Following withdrawal in 1953 it has seen numerous owners, including the British Transport Commission Museum from 1960 to 1967. It is seen at the conclusion of the first Trans-Pennine Rally in 1969. Does anyone know its whereabouts today?
Photo taken Sunday 10 August 1969, the first Trans-Pennine Rally, Harrogate
166. FXT120
London Transport CR14, FXT120, in as withdrawn condition in the yard of Mulley's, Ixworth.
Photo taken late 1960s?, Ixworth
167. FXT130
London Transport CR24, FXT130, at the scrap yard of Vass, Ampthill in February 1956. The rear engined Leyland Cub was new in 1939 and withdrawn in May 1952.
Photo taken Saturday 25 February 1956, Ampthill
168. FXT132
London Transport CR26, CR20 & CR24, FXT132, FXT126 and FXT130 respectively, at the scrap yard of Vass, Ampthill in February 1956. The rear engined Leyland Cubs were new in 1939 and withdrawn in 1952.
Photo taken Saturday 25 February 1956, Ampthill
169. FXT136
London Transport CR30, FXT136, at the scrap yard of Vass, Ampthill in February 1956. The rear engined Leyland Cub was new in 1939 and withdrawn in March 1952 although it had been in store for a number of years during that period.
Photo taken Saturday 25 February 1956, Ampthill
170. HFR165
Brown, Helperby operated this Leyland TS8 with KW FC37F body seen in Leeds. HFR165 started life as East Yorkshire 332, DKH440, and was acquired by Brown in April 1954 after the chassis had passed from North (dealer) to K.W. Bodies, Bispham along with three others from the same batch.
Photo taken Saturday 4 August 1956, Saville Street, Leeds
171. HL9073
Seen in Leeds Bus Station are West Riding 531, HL9060 together with 543, HL9072 and 544, HL9073, which were, respectively, a Leyland TD5c with a Roe L24/24R body, and two Leyland TS8c models with Roe B32F bodies, all being new in 1939.
Photo taken Friday 22 April 1955, Leeds Bus Station
172. HVW213
City Coach G2, HVW213, a 1939 Leyland TEC2 'Gnu' with Duple FC39C body.
173. HVW213
Former City Coach HVW213, a Leyland TEC2 with Duple FC39C body, new in August 1939. At the time this photo was taken, the legal lettering on the vehicle was for Symonds, South Kirkby but it is believed that it was with Keeling to whom it is recorded as passing, from Symonds, in June 1958.
Photo taken Saturday 7 June 1958, Leeds Central Bus Station
174. HVW214
City Coach Company G3, HVW214, a 1939 Leyland TEC2 'Gnu' with Duple FC39C body. Numbered 119 by ENOC before being withdrawn in 1956.
Photo taken Felixstowe
175. HVW215
City Coach G4, HVW215, a Leyland TEC2 with Duple FC39C body, new in August 1939.
Photo taken 1950, opposite Newbury Park Underground/Bus Station, London Ilford
176. HVW215
The LTs were supported on the London-Southend route by the well known four wheel steering Leyland Gnus. Here former City Coach G4, HVW215, stands outside Tyler's Avenue depot in July 1955.
Photo taken Saturday 16 July 1955, Tylers Avenue, Southend
177. HVW216
Former City Coach HVW216, a Leyland TEC2 with Duple FC39C body, new in August 1939 at Weaver Street, Kirkstall, Leeds - the 'garage' of Keeling to whom it passed from North (dealer) in 1957.
Photo taken Thursday 12 September 1957, Weaver Street, Kirkstall, Leeds
178. HVW217
City Coach G6, HVW217, a 1939 Leyland TEC2 'Gnu' with Duple FC39C body.
Photo taken Tyler's Avenue, Southend
179. HVW217
Continuing the line up of City Coach buses including on the left Leyland GNU G6, HVW217 and LD23, FJN204, an all Leyland PD2/12 with further single and double deckers, some still in City Coach livery, others repainted in Eastern National green.
Photo taken Brentwood Depot
180. JK8418
Preserved Eastbourne 12, JK8418, is a Leyland LT9 Lion with a Leyland B32F body new in 1939.
Photo taken Sunday 5 May 1968, at A23, South of Crawley
181. JK8418
Eastbourne Corporation 12, JK8418, a 1939 Leyland 'Lion' LT8 with Leyland B34F bodywork seen in Compton Street outside the old Devonshire Swimming Baths on 13th June 1967. This was fitted with a Leyland 8.6 litre oil engine in 1954 and re-seated from B32F in 1963. One of five delivered just before the outbreak of World War II, the other four were requisitioned by the War Department and never returned though one (15) still survives, re-registered LMG184.
Photo taken Tuesday 13 June 1967, Compton Street, Eastbourne
182. JK8418
Preserved Eastbourne 12, JK8418, Leyland LT8 Lion with a Leyland B34F body is seen climbing New Bank on its way out of Halifax, heading for Harrogate on the Trans-Pennine Rally.
Photo taken Sunday 6 August 1972, New Bank, Halifax
183. JN7985
Another Leyland Cub, JN7985, photographed after sale by Westcliff when parked in Rochford Road, near Warners Bridge, in March or April 1955.
Photo taken March/April 1955, Rochford Road, Southend
184. JN7986
Westcliff's coaches up to the late 1930s were a very varied lot, consisting of normal control Leyland Cubs and AEC Rangers and three AEC Qs (these last being requisitioned during the war). One of the Leyland Cubs, JN7986, is shown here in Fairfax Drive yard in April 1952 with its fleetnames painted out ready for disposal.
Photo taken April 1952, Fairfax Drive Depot, Southend
185. NCD99
Former Southdown 899, NCD99, a Leyland TS8 of 1939, rebodied by Beadle in 1954. It was sold in 1963 to Blue Boar Service Stations for transport of catering staff to their motorway restaurants.
Photo taken 1964, Blue Boar Services, M1
186. RN8761
Ribble 780, RN8761, a Leyland TS8, dates from 1939 and originally had a Burlingham B32F body, but the Duple C31F body of 1936-1938 vintage was fitted in 1951.
Photo taken Sunday 24 June 1956, Chester Street, Bus Station, Bradford
187. WG8107
Preserved W Alexander 205, WG8107, a Leyland Tiger TS8 built in 1939 with Alexander based bodywork, attending the Trans-Pennine Rally.
Photo taken August 1984, Harrogate Stray
188. WG8131
Alexander's (Fife) L5, WG8131, was a Leyland TS8, new in 1939, which originally carried Alexander C35F bodywork and was numbered P552 in the fleet of W Alexander & Sons.
Photo taken c.1968, Kirkcaldy Depot
189.
Coras Iompair Eireann (CIE) H4, former Leyland Tiger Towing lorry ("Tow Car").
Photo taken July 1964, Galway CIE depot, Eire
190. BFR380
Unfortunately not much background surrounds this picture of Blackpool transport's number 15, BFR380, a 1940 Leyland Tiger TS8 with Burlingham FB34F bodywork. This vehicle lasted until 1961 before becoming a mobile publicity unit.
Photo taken late 1950's, Adelaide Street, Blackpool
191. HL9882
West Riding 247, HL9882, was a Leyland TS11 with Barnaby B32F body, new to Bullock & Sons in 1940. It passed to West Riding in 1950 and is seen here at Pontefract.
Photo taken Saturday 8 September 1956, Horse Fair, Pontefract
192. WG7625
Norfolk, Nayland WG7625 seen near his garage was a Leyland LZ2A Cheetah with an Alexander C39F body acquired from Lloyd, Nuneaton in July 1958.
Photo taken Sunday 14 February 1965, Bear Street, Nayland
193. WG7625
A rear view of Norfolk, Nayland WG7625 which was a Leyland LZ2A Cheetah with an Alexander C39F body acquired from Lloyd, Nuneaton in July 1958, seen near his garage.
Photo taken Sunday 14 February 1965, Bear Street, Nayland
194. WG9321
Seen at Falkirk was Alexander ML220, WG9321, a Leyland Tiger TS8 with Alexander B39F body which had been new as number P631 in 1940. It had been converted to a service vehicle in October 1962 and was sold four years later.
Photo taken Tuesday 27 July 1965, Falkirk
195. WG9335
A Leyland TS8 Special, WG9335, with an Alexander C39F body was P645 in the Lawson fleet and was one of four delivered in 1940. It was seen awaiting its next trip in Dundas Street Bus Station, Glasgow.
Photo taken Sunday 26 July 1959, Dundas Street Bus Station, Glasgow
196. WG9336
Lawson, Kirkintilloch P646, WG9336, was a Leyland TS8 Special with an Alexander C39F body new in 1940 and was seen in Dundas Street bus station in Glasgow.
Photo taken Wednesday 29 July 1959, Dundas Street Bus Station, Glasgow
197. WG9515
Lawson, Kirkintilloch P679, WG9515, was a Leyland TS8 Special with an Alexander C39F body which had been new in December 1940 to Alexander, Falkirk and which had been transferred to Lawson in 1949.
Photo taken Sunday 26 July 1959, Dundas Street Bus Station, Glasgow
198. FV9043
Blackpool 6, FV9043, a Burlingham FB34C bodied Leyland TS7 waits on service 19 between Marks & Spencers store and the Queens’ Theatre where Joan Regan, Ken Platt and The Three Monarchs are appearing.
Photo taken Monday 2 May 1955, Bank Hey Street, Blackpool
199. NCD98
Southdown 898, NCD98, was a Beadle C26F bodied rebuild of a Leyland TS8 in 1954 and was seen at Ascot.
Photo taken Saturday 19 July 1958, Ascot