SCT '61 Photo Index
Saro
Part of Saunders-Roe, factory in Anglesey

Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. BUF215
Southdown, Brighton 115, BUF215, was a Leyland TD4c, one of ten delivered in 1935 with Short H26/24R bodies.
Photo taken Sunday 19 April 1959, Pool Valley, Brighton
2. GTX311
Caerphilly single decker 11, GTX311, a Foden PVSC5 with Saunders B36F body new in 1947. The street name “... tion Terrace” suggests this is just outside Caerphilly station, which appears to be visible at the right.
Photo taken 1960s, Station Terrace
3. KRB86
Midland General Omnibus Co 200, KRB86, a Leyland PS1 with Saunders B35F bodywork, new 1948
Photo taken Sunday 12 July 1964, rear of Langley Mill Garage
4. KRB88
Midland General 202, KRB88, was a Leyland PS1/1 with a Saunders DP32F body which was seen in the Chorlton Street coach park in Manchester which backed on to Portland Street in the background, the building on the left still being in existance.
Photo taken Saturday 31 May 1958, Chorlton Street Coach Park, Manchester
5. KRB89
Seen in Matlock Bus Station on a wet day with the remains of the snow still visible was Midland General 203, KRB89, a Saunders DP35F bodied Leyland PS1/1 Tiger built in 1948.
Photo taken Saturday 20 February 1960, Matlock Bus Station
6. IH9539
Lough Swilly 71, IH9539, a Leyland Royal Tiger PSU1/9 built in 1951 with Saunders-Roe B44F bodywork.
Photo taken July 1979, Fanad Peninsula
7. OKM317
AEC Regent III OKM317 was originally a demonstrator for Saunders Roe, who built its lightweight body. It was registered in 1951 for Maidstone & District, and became no. 13 in the fleet of Dodds of Troon in 1953.
Photo taken Sunday 23 June 1968, Dodds' Depot, Troon
8. OKM317
AA Motor Services AEC Regent OKM317 on a road run in connection with the Brighton 85th Anniversary Rally in September 1986. It was originally a demonstrator for Saunders Roe, who built its lightweight body, was registered in 1951 for Maidstone & District, and became no. 13 in the fleet of AA, Dodds of Troon in 1953.
Photo taken Sunday 21 September 1986, Wilson Avenue, Brighton
9. OUA76
OUA76, a Saro C33F bodied Commer Avenger I had been new in 1951 to Leeds & District Workpeoples Fund, passing via Culling, Claxton to Mid-Wales Motorways, Newtown in 10/61 who upseated it to C37F.
Photo taken Friday 17 September 1965, Barker Street Bus Station, Shrewsbury
10. OUA76
Photographed in the Welshpool yard of Mid-Wales Motorways in August 1963 is this venerable old Commer Avenger. The bodywork was by Saro and was new in 1951 to Leeds & District Workpeoples Fund.
Photo taken Sunday 11 August 1963, Welshpool
11. OUA76
A rear view of Mid Wales Motorways OUA76 which was a Commer 23A Avenger with a Saro C37F body, seen in Shrewsbury. It had been new in 1951 to Leeds & District Workpeoples Fund as C33F, passing via Culling, Claxton to Mid-Wales Motorways, Newtown in 10/61 who upseated it.
Photo taken Friday 17 September 1965, Barker Street Bus Station, Shrewsbury
12. AY750
Riduna Buses of Alderney AY750, a 1953 Leyland PSUC1/1 with Saro B44F body and acquired in April 1969, new as Ribble ERN776.
Photo taken 1977, Le Huret, Alderney
13. FCK841
Ribble 409, FCK841, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/1 of 1953 with Saunders Roe 44 seat body.
Photo taken 1966, Penrith
14. FCK851
Ribble 419, FCK851, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/1 from 1953 with Saunders-Roe B44F bodywork.
Photo taken December 1968, Carlisle Bus Station
15. FCK858
Ribble 712, BRN861, a Leyland PS1/1 with a Burlingham C31F body and Ribble 426, FCK858, a Leyland PSUC1/1 Tiger Cub with a Saro B44F body are seen in the parking area between Castle Street and Saville Street in Leeds. both of which were used as overflow departure points for the Wellington Street Coach Station on summer Saturdays.
Photo taken Saturday 30 July 1955, Castle Street/Saville Street, Leeds
16. LJW336
A former Guy demonstrator LJW336, a Guy Arab UF with Saro B44F body, was running for Morgan, Armthorpe on the service to Goole when seen here at Thorne Road, Doncaster. It has been preserved.
Photo taken Sunday 15 June 1958, Thorne Road, Doncaster
17. FCH10
Trent 810, FCH10, a Saro B44F bodied Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/1 seen in Derby Bus Station was the first of ten new in 1954.
Photo taken Thursday 1 October 1959, Derby Bus Station
18. FCH12
FCH12, a Leyland Tiger Cub new to Trent in June 1954 sold to Hylton Castle Coaches Ltd Sunderland in September 1965. Withdrawn 1967. Note the "non Trent" brightwork at the side of the Leyland badge
Photo taken Betwen 1965-1967, Hylton Castle, Sunderland
19. FCH19
West Mon acquired number 10, FCH19, from Davies, Tredegar in 1968. A Leyland Tiger Cub with Saro B44F body, it had been new to Trent in 1954.
Photo taken Sunday 7 September 1969, Depot Yard, Blackwood
20. FCK849
Three former Ribble vehicles at North's, the dealer, Sherburn-in-Elmet. 417, FCK849, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/1 with Saro B44F body, new in 1954 and 1653 & 1634, NCK642 & NCK623, Leyland Atlantean PDR1/1's with Metro Cammell H44/34F bodies, new in 1960.
Photo taken Autumn 1973, Premises of Norths, the dealer, Sherburn-in-Elmet
21. FCK884
Ribble Motor Services 452, FCK884, a 1954 Leyland Tiger Cub with Saunders-Roe (SARO) body
Photo taken Sunday 20 March 2005, Manchester Transport Museum
22. FCK884
Lockeys of St Helen Auckland, Co. Durham, FCK884, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1 with Saunders-Roe (SARO) bodywork.
Photo taken March 1972, Lockey's Garage, St Helen Auckland
23. FCK887
Lough Swilly 115, FCK887, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/1 built in 1954 with Saunders-Roe B44F bodywork.
Photo taken July 1979, Letterkenny Depot
24. NKD540
Preserved Liverpool A40, NKD540, an AEC Regent III 9613S built in 1954 with Saunders-Roe H32/26R bodywork.
Photo taken July 1977, Sandtoft Trolleybus Museum
25. NNY70
Ex-Thomas Bros., Port Talbot Leyland Tiger Cub NNY70 with Saro B44F body on driver training duty at Neath after takeover by South Wales.
Photo taken Tuesday 3 August 1971, Neath
26. NNY71
A batch of eighteen Leyland Tiger Cubs were purchased by Thomas Bros. in 1954. Nine were Weymann bodied and nine carried Saro B44F bodies and NNY71, seen here at the garage in the blue-green livery, was typical of the latter.
Photo taken Saturday 6 September 1969, Thomas Bros Garage, Sandfields
27. ORR323
East Midland Saro B44F bodied Leyland PSUC1/1 Tiger Cub R323, ORR323, one of twenty-five such buses dating from 1954 is seen in Matlock Bus Station with snow still evident on rooftops and in the background.
Photo taken Saturday 20 February 1960, Matlock Bus Station
28. ORR323
The Eden (Summerson Bros), West Auckland, C5 ORR323, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/1 built 1954 with Saunders-Roe B44F bodywork. Formerly R323 with East Midland.
Photo taken early 1960s?
29. ORR328
Austin's Woodseaves 86, ORR328, a Leyland Tiger Cub with Saro B44F body ex East Midland Motor Services R328.
Photo taken Summer 1967, Salop Street, Wolverhampton
30. ORR333
Seen at Letterkenny (County Donegal Railway) station, the bus is registered ORR333 and presumably belongs to the County Donegal Railways with CDR on indicator. Livery looks to be CDR and presumably the bus was acquired to replace train services in 1960. ORR333 was new to East Midland c.1954, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/1 with Saunders Roe B44F body.
Photo taken Summer 1966, Letterkenny Station
31. ORR333
ORR333 was a 1954 Leyland PSUC1/1 with Saunders Roe B44F body, new to East Midland as fleet no. R333. It passed to the County Donegal Railway in Ireland in 5/65 but by the time this view was taken of it in Strabane in August 1969 it was nearing the end of its life, being withdrawn and sold for scrap later in the year.
Photo taken August 1969, Strabane CDR Station, Ireland
32. ORR343
Two East Midland vehicles on East Midland waste ground at Worksop, Nottingham
Photo taken August 1963, Worksop Garage
33. OUP660
OUP660 was a Leyland PSUC1/1T Tiger Cub with a Saro B44F body which had been new in September 1954 as Sunderland District 263.
Photo taken Tuesday 3 August 1971, Silcox Garage, Pembroke Dock
34. OUP665
Sunderland District 268, OUP665, a Leyland PSUC1/1 Tiger Cub with a Saro B44F body was one of sixteen, 258-273, delivered in 1954. 258-262 were fitted with Eaton 2-speed axles for the Consett service.
Photo taken Saturday 5 August 1967, Cowan Terrace, near Park Lane Bus Station, Sunderland
35. PZ4874
Leyland Tiger Cub/Saro B44F PZ4874 was originally a Leyland demonstrator to the UTA before joining the fleet as number 8995. Renumbered H301 in 1955, it became 301 when Ulsterbus was formed in 1967. It was bought for preservation in December 1971 and has been in various hands since, the current owners being Richard and Bobby Shannon of the Ards Bus Preservation Group.
Photo taken Saturday 26 April 2014, Irish Transport Heritage annual bus and coach rally, Cultra
36. STF90
In March 1957 Lowland Motorways, Glasgow acquired both prototypes of what was later to become the Leyland Atlantean and STF90, Lowland 62, which was new in June 1954 is seen here with them.
Photo taken 1957, Shettleston Road/McNair Street, Glasgow