SCT '61 Photo Index
Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
This Dennis GL with Roberts toastrack body, CC9424, was new to Llandudno UDC in 1929.
Photo taken Saturday 13 August 2016, North Parade, Llandudno
New to Llandudno UDC in 1930, this Dennis GL carries a 19 seat toastrack body by Charles Roberts who would go on to build a number of bodies in the post war era as well as Sheffields last trams. When photographed CC9424 was hard at work on the Whitby town tour.
Photo taken Tuesday 24 May 2005, Whitby
New as Leeds 307, FNW707, in October 1937, was this Leyland TD5 with a Roe H31/25R body, one of fifteen such vehicles. It was withdrawn on 31st January 1950, passed to North (dealer), Leeds in December 1951 and then to W.R. & P. Bingley (t/a United Service), South Elmsall in January 1952 and is seen here having just entered the bus station in Wakefield.
Photo taken Saturday 21 January 1956, Wakefield Bus Station
In 1937 Yorkshire Traction placed thirty Leyland TS7s in service with a mixture of B32F bodies by Roe (551-560, 565-574) and Eastern Coachworks (561-564) or with Burlingham C31F bodies (575-580). The Burlingham bodied ones originally had petrol engines and received Leyland 8.6 litre diesel engines and new Roberts B34F bodies to the B.E.T. Federation specification in 1947/8. HE7776, the last of the Burlingham bodied ones received its new body in March 1948 and was withdrawn in 1957.
Photo taken Sunday 5 August 1956, near Barnsley Bus Station
Leon, Finningley 60, FBC546, was the last of three Daimler CVD6s with Roberts H32/28R bodies acquired from Leicester in October 1961. This one, seen in Glasgow Paddocks, Doncaster, was withdrawn in July 1966.
Photo taken Monday 16 July 1962, Glasgow Paddocks bus station, Doncaster
Ex-Leicester City Daimler CVD6 73, FBC548, with Roberts H60R body, new in 1948, seen here with contractor Taylor Woodrow.
Photo taken Sunday 28 June 1964, Lowestoft
Samuel Ledgard GWY157, ex-Felix Motors 26, an AEC Regent III with Roberts H30/26R body of 1948.
Photo taken 1965, Troydale Terminus, Pudsey
What is almost certainly an official pre-delivery shot of City Coach Company LD8, NVX305, a Leyland PD1A with Roberts L27/26R body, new in 1948 - clues are the absence of any licenses in the license holder in the cab and missing unladen weight figures.
Brown's Blue, Markfield FNR273 was a Daimler CVD6 with a Roberts H30/26R body new to Brown in September 1949. Platform doors were fitted in September 1958. It passed to Ronsway, Hemel Hempstead in March 1963.
Photo taken Saturday 9 February 1963, St Margaret's Bus Station, Leicester
Seen at the garage is Gash, Newark DD6, KNN959, which had a Roberts H30/26R body on its Daimler CVD6 chassis when new in August 1949, platform doors being fitted in July 1957.
Photo taken Sunday 13 August 1967, Gash's Garage, Bowbridge Road, Newark
City Coach Company Daimler CVD6 D3, NVX173, new to them in 1949 with a Roberts L53R body. Numbered 1218 by EN and withdrawn in 1962.
Photo taken London Wood Green Depot
Eastern National 1220, NVX175, a Daimler CVD6 with Roberts L53R body, originally in the City Coach fleet.
Photo taken London Road, Victoria Circus, Southend
Eastern National 1221, NVX176, a Daimler CVD6 with Roberts L53R body, originally in the City Coach fleet.
Photo taken London Wood Green Depot
A great photo, taken in the June sunshine, of Eastern National SD1221, NVX176, a Daimler CVD6 with Roberts L27/26R body, one of a batch of six new to City Coach in 1949.
Photo taken Sunday 14 June 1959, Victoria Station, Southend
Eastern National 1122, NVX302, a Leyland PD1A with Roberts L53R body, new to City Coach Co in 1948, then to Westcliff, then to ENOC.
Photo taken Leigh Beck Garage, Canvey Island
T.D. Alexander (Greyhound), Arbroath ran NVX303 a Roberts L27/26R bodied Leyland PD1A which had previously been Eastern National 1123 and before that Westcliff-on-Sea 1123, having been new in 1949 as City Coach Co. LD6.
Photo taken Wednesday 28 July 1965, Hill Place, Arbroath
Eastern National 1123, NVX303, a Leyland PD1A with Roberts L53R body new to City Coach as their LD6 and first registered on 1st January 1949.
Photo taken 1959/60, Brentwood Garage Yard
City Coach Co Leyland PD1/Roberts LD8, NVX305, seen on 28 February 1955 outside the Yorkshire Grey PH in Brentwood, with an all-Leyland PD2 behind - one of the FJN batch ordered by City and delivered in their livery, but here repainted Tilling green with Westcliff fleetnames. This is believed to have been the last double deck in City livery.
Photo taken Monday 28 February 1955, High Street, Brentwood
Colchester Corporation 4, OHK432, a 1949 Daimler CVD6 with Roberts H30/26R body, seen here at Brighton after being preserved.
Photo taken Sunday 5 May 1968, at Madeira Drive, Brighton
Colchester Coporation bought a mixture of chassis after the second world war. Amongst these were a small batch of five Daimler CVD6 with body by Roberts of Wakefield which were delivered in 1949. The batch was withdrawn between 1966 and 1968. Number 4, OHK432, was saved for posterity and has been restored to its original colour scheme
Photo taken 2003, Meadowhall, Sheffield
OHK432 is Colchester number 4, a 1949 Daimler CVD6 with Roberts H30/26R body, part of the LVVS collection.
Photo taken Sunday 1 November 2009, near LVVS Road Transport Museum, Lincoln
A selection of cars of the period and a bus. This Colchester Corporation H30/26R Daimler CVD6 with Roberts body arrived at Colchester in 1949 and was believed to have been withdrawn in 1966. 5, OHK433 is seen climbing North Hill, Colchester, a hill I learnt to drive on.
Photo taken Sunday 13 March 1960, North Hill, Colchester
Nottingham 339, KTV339, crossing Trent Bridge was a Roberts H30/26R bodied AEC Regent III.
Photo taken Saturday 27 March 1965, Trent Bridge, Nottingham
Darlington Corporation 86, OHN496, a Guy Arab III from 1951 with Roberts H30/26R bodywork.
Photo taken March 1970, Haughton Road Depot
Blackpool 315 (latterly 651) was one of the twenty-five Roberts-bodied "Coronation" cars of 1953. They were fitted with the infamously unreliable and expensive Vambac control system - replaced with conventional equipment in the late 1960s.
Photo taken Saturday 1 June 1963, South Promenade, Blackpool