SCT '61 Photo Index
Harrington
Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. GC4828
A. Timpson & Sons Ltd 208, GC4828, an AEC Regal with Harrington C31R bodywork new in 1930. Can anybody shed any light why this was decorated like this.
Photo taken 1936 or 1937, Depot, 175 Rushey Green, Catford
2. GN7264
A Timpson & Sons 264, GN7264, a 1931 AEC Regal with Harrington C31R bodywork. The driver looks justifiably proud of his coach. This coach was requisitioned by the War Dept in 1940 and never returned to Timpsons.
Photo taken 175 Rushey Green Depot, Catford
3. DG4038
This Leyland LT5 Lion was new in March 1932 to Richings & Battershall of Staunton with a Harrington C32F body. DG4038 was sold to Marsden, Mossley and rebodied with a Harrington C33F body in April 1947.
Photo taken Saturday 11 August 1956, Leeds Central Bus Station
4. UF9785
Former Southdown 1085, UF9785, a Leyland Tiger TS4 with Harrington C32R body, new in 1933, seen here with Shepherd (contractor).
Photo taken March 1961, Hull
5. UF9785
Second shot of former Southdown 1085, UF9785, a Leyland Tiger TS4 with Harrington C32R body, new in 1933, seen here with Shepherd (contractor).
Photo taken March 1961, Hull
6. AXU657
AXU657, an AEC Regal 0662 new to United Service Transport, London in 1934 when it was fitted with a Harrington C32F body. It was rebodied by Harrington in 1950 with this all-metal FC33F body and withdrawn about 1958, eventually finding its way into Colin Shears' West of England Transport Collection.
Photo taken early 1974, WETC, Winkleigh, Devon
7. AXU657
A rear view of former United Service Transport, London AXU657, a 1934 AEC Regal 0662 originally bodied by Harrington as C32F, but rebodied with this all-metal Harrington FC33F body in 1950. It was withdrawn about 1958, eventually passing to Colin Shears' West of England Transport Collection, Winkleigh.
Photo taken early 1974, WETC, Winkleigh, Devon
8. DL9014
Southern Vectis 404, DL9014, a 1934 Dennis Ace with Harrington body. These vehicles were colloquially known as Flying Pigs for obvious reasons.
Photo taken August 1955, Isle of Wight
9. DL9015
Preserved Southern Vectis 405, DL9015, a 1934 Dennis Ace with Harrington B20F body
Photo taken Sunday 21 July 2013, Anstey Park, Alton
10. LJ9501
Albion chassis were popular prior to the second world war. This Albion Valiant PV70 was one of the last built in 1934. New to Charlie's Cars of Bournemouth as their 57, LJ9501, it carries a post war Harrington body.
Photo taken Sunday 1 August 2010, Harrogate
11. LJ9501
Seen on Charlie's Cars 57, LJ9501, a 1934 Albion Valiant with post war Harrington bodywork is the famous Harrington dorsal fin roof
Photo taken Sunday 1 August 2010, Harrogate
12. LJ9501
Preserved Albion Valiant PV70 LJ9501, new in 1934 to Charlie's Cars of Bournemouth as their 57, with a post war Harrington body.
Photo taken Saturday 25 June 2011, Kelsall
13. AWJ235
New to Sheffield United Tours in May 1935 this AEC 665 Ranger, AWJ235, had been rebuilt to forward control layout and rebodied with a Harrington C33F body in May 1949 for Sherriff, Gainsborough.
Photo taken Sunday 24 November 1963, Vauxhall Cross, London Kennington
14. CKO970
Maidstone & District CO567, CKO970, was a 1936 Leyland TS7 Tiger which had been rebodied in 1950 with a Harrington C32F body and is seen at Ascot.
Photo taken Saturday 19 July 1958, Ascot
15. CUF404
CUF404 is a Leyland Cub KPZ1, one of a batch of three new in July 1936 with a Harrington C14F body to Southdown Motor Services, no. 4. When new they had a folding canvas roof, but were rebuilt around 1939 with glass quarter lights and a sliding roof.
Photo taken Sunday 3 May 1964, Madeira Drive, Brighton
16. FM9986
Crosville K103, FM9986, a Leyland TS7 with Harrington 32 seat coach body new in 1936
17. DKT11
Seen at Victoria Coach Station is Maidstone & District CO553, DKT11, a Leyland TS7 Tiger new in 1937 with a Harrington C32F body with a full length roof rack for carrying band instruments. It was rebodied in May 1950 with a Harrington C32F body also fitted with a full length roof rack for carrying band instruments. The coach behind is SRR 333, a Harrington Contender of Thomas, North Muskham.
Photo taken Saturday 17 June 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
18. DKT16
Preserved Maidstone & District CO558, DKT16, a 1937 Leyland Tiger TS7 with a Harrington C32F body, rebuilt by them in 1950.
Photo taken Saturday 9 April 2011, Kent Showground, Detling
19. DUF179
Preserved ex-Southdown 1179, DUF179, a 1937 Leyland Tiger TS7 with a Harrington 32 seat rear entrance body. Withdrawn by Southdown in 1956.
Photo taken Sunday 18 July 2004, Watercress Line Rally, Alton
20. DUF179
Southdown 1179, DUF179, the immaculately preserved Harrington-bodied Leyland TS7, has been a well-loved bus on the rally scene for many years, including the Trans-Pennine Run.
Photo taken August 1976, Otley
21. DUF179
Southdown Leyland Tiger DUF179, making its debut after a thorough restoration by Ensign at the Vintage Running Day.
Photo taken Saturday 7 December 2013, Lakeside Bus Station, Thurrock
22. CVE551
Seen in King Charles Street, Leeds opposite the King Charles Model Centre is CVE551, a Leyland SKPZ2 Cub with a Harrington C26F body in the fleet of Cawthorne (Majestic Motors), Barugh.
Photo taken Saturday 30 July 1955, King Charles Street, Leeds
23. FCD251
Southdown 1451, FCD251, a 1938 Leyland Tiger TS8 with Harrington B32R coachwork is seen at Brighton's Pool Valley ready to work a service 30 journey to Chelwood Common (for East Grinstead) according to the Ian Allan ABC. Particularly impressive is the side destination arrangement. A similar bus is parked alongside.
Photo taken c.1950, Pool Valley Bus Station, Brighton
24. CDL605
Southern Vectis 814, CDL605, was a 1939 Bristol L5G with Harrington B35R body seen here in in 1955.
Photo taken 1955, Isle of Wight
25. EYA923
EYA923 is a Leyland Cheetah with Harrington C31F body, new in 1939 to Blue Motors of Minehead in Somerset. After service with two operators and then after 1958 in use as a holiday home and a summer house, it passed into preservation in the late 1980s.
Photo taken Sunday 20 July 2003, Alton
26. EYA923
Rear view of Leyland Cheetah EYA923
Photo taken Sunday 20 July 2003, Alton
27. EYA923
EYA923, a Leyland Cheetah LZ5 with Harrington C31F Body new in 1939 to Porlock Blue of Minehead and now preserved
Photo taken Sunday 29 July 2012, Marine Parade, Worthing
28. FUF181
Dennis single decker "Polly", FUF181 is branded "Eastbourne Old (Peoples?) Welfare Council" and is parked in the Eastbourne garage. It was one of a pair of Dennis Falcons with Harrington B30C bodywork delivered to Southdown in 1939 and survives today.
Photo taken 1960s, Churchdale Road Garage
29. CUH681
New in July 1946 to Forse, Cardiff, CUH681 was an AEC O662 Regal with Harrington C33F body. Say acquired it in July 1956 and it is seen at his garage in Gloucester.
Photo taken Sunday 13 July 1958, Gloucester
30. HTF617
Two Leyland PS1s with Harrington bodies are seen in Castle Street, Leeds at its junction with Lisbon Street. Morecambe Motors (Silver Grey), Morecambe HTF617 and HTJ36 were Leyland PS1s which had been new in October 1947 with Bellhouse Hartwell C33F and Santus C33F bodies respectively.
Photo taken Saturday 6 August 1955, Castle Street, Leeds
31. JNA244
Seen at Epsom Racecourse was JNA244, a Daimler CVD6 with a Harrington C33F body which had been new in November 1947 to Sharp, Manchester. By the time of this photograph it was in use by Goldhanger Fruit Farms.
Photo taken Monday 7 August 1961, Epsom Racecourse
32. JYC855
JYC855 is a Leyland PS1 with a Harrington Fin C33F body dating from 1947 and registered in March 1948 to Scarlet Pimpernel motors of Minehead in Somerset, now part of the Roger Burdett collection.
Photo taken Sunday 25 November 2012, Fillongley
33. JYC855
A rear view of JYC855, a Leyland PS1 with a Harrington Fin C33F body dating from 1947 and registered in March 1948 to Scarlet Pimpernel motors of Minehead in Somerset, clealry showing the Harrington fin.
Photo taken Sunday 25 November 2012, Near Fillongley
34. JYC855
An interior view of JYC855, a Leyland PS1 with a Harrington Fin C33F body dating from 1947 and registered in March 1948 to Scarlet Pimpernel motors of Minehead in Somerset.
Photo taken Sunday 3 July 2011, Churnet Valley Railway
35. JYC855
What is believed to be the first time since they were preserved, the two Leyland Scarlet Pimpernel coaches MYA590 and JYC855 are seen together. Both have Harrington bodywork with dorsal fins.
Photo taken Sunday 17 April 2016, Brooklands
36. DDY69
DDY69 was an A.E.C. O662 Regal, with a Harrington C33F body, new in March 1948 to Skinners (Hastings) Ltd., St. Leonards as number 31. It is seen here at Victoria Coach Station carrying fleet number CO119 after the Skinner business had been acquired by Maidstone & District. The coach behind is CO120, originally Skinner 33.
Photo taken Saturday 15 July 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
37. KYA582
KYA582 of Archbishop Holgate's Grammar School, York is seen outside the City Walls. It was a Dennis Lancet III with a Harrington C33F body with a Dorsal Fin which had been new in August 1948 to Hawkins (Scarlet Coaches), Minehead and had been acquired in September 1962 from Beardon, Burlescombe in Devon.
Photo taken Sunday 18 April 1965, City Walls, Foss Islands Road, York
38. KYA582
Our school bus KYA582 was the first of many, a 1948 Dennis Lancet 3 with a Harrington dorsal fin body.
Photo taken 1965, Archbishop Holgate's Grammar School, York
39. DDY752
Maidstone & District CO120, DDY752, was new in July 1949 to Skinner, St. Leonards as number 33. It was an A.E.C. 6821A Regal III with a Harrington C33F body and passed to Maidstone & District with the Skinner business in 1953 and was kept in Skinner's livery.
Photo taken Saturday 21 February 1959
40. KKK850
KKK850, Maidstone & District CO111, new in 1949 was a Harrington C32F bodied AEC Regal III resting at Victoria Coach Station.
Photo taken Saturday 10 September 1960, London Victoria Coach Station
41. KKK852
At Victoria Coach Station a line up of Maidstone & District coaches with CO113, KKK852, an A.E.C. 6821A Regal III with a Harrington FC32F body new in October 1949 at the front. To the right of it one of the Harrington bodied A.E.C. Reliances and one of the Leyland bodied Leyland Royal Tigers.
Photo taken Saturday 5 August 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
42. KXV315
Horlock, Northfleet 15, KXV315, seen at Wembley Stadium, was an A.E.C. Regal rebuild (chassis no. 194902), with a Harrington metal framed FC33F body new in December 1949 to Orange Luxury Coaches, London S.W.2.
Photo taken Saturday 28 April 1962, Wembley Stadium
43. KXV315
A rear view, at Wembley Stadium, of Horlock, Northfleet 15, KXV315, which was an A.E.C. Regal rebuild (chassis no. 194902), with a Harrington metal framed FC33F body new in December 1949 to Orange Luxury Coaches, London S.W.2.
Photo taken Saturday 28 April 1962, Wembley Stadium
44. KXX613
KXX613, an A.E.C. 9621E Regal III with a Harrington C33F body was new in November 1949 to Ewer, London N.16, passing to associated company Fallowfield & Britten, London N.16 in March 1956 and to Lloyd, Nuneaton, with whom it is seen here at Ascot, in October 1961.
Photo taken Saturday 23 June 1962, Ascot
45. KYD151
Former Scarlet Pimpernel Coaches (Hawkins Bros.), Minehead KYD151, an AEC Regal III 6821A with Harrington C33F body, new in 1949.
Photo taken Sunday 27 June 1976, Cardiff
46. OFC489
Harrington designed a metal framed body intended for export markets, but a number were built for use in this country including some on Commer Avenger chassis and OFC489, seen here with House, Watlington at their garage was an early example with a body which seated 32. It had been new in August 1949 to Howes, Oxford, passing to Ilsley, Oxford in December 1952 and to Willis, Oxford in December 1954 before passing to House in August 1956.
Photo taken Sunday 27 March 1966, Watlington
47. OFC489
House, Watlington OFC489 was a Commer 23A Avenger with a Harrington 'Export' all-metal C32F body new to Willis, Oxford which had been acquired in 1956.
Photo taken Sunday 27 March 1966, Watlington
48. GBC866
A Harrington C33F bodied Commer 23A Avenger seen at Victoria Coach Station with Neave, Catfield. GBC866 had been new in February 1950 to Clayton (t/a Royal Blue), Leicester.
Photo taken Saturday 17 June 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
49. GBC866
A rear view of GBC866, a Harrington C33F bodied Commer 23A Avenger which had been new in February 1950 to Clayton (t/a Royal Blue), Leicester. It is seen at Victoria Coach Station with Neave, Catfield.
Photo taken Saturday 17 June 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
50. JDG552
Bevan Bros., Soudley Valley JDG552 was a Leyland CPO1 Comet with a Harrington C33F body, new in January 1950, seen at Wembley Stadium.
Photo taken Saturday 9 May 1959, Wembley Stadium
51. JP8152
Hollis Coaches JP8152, a Leyland Comet seen in Blackpool in 1964
Photo taken Sunday 17 May 1964, Blackpool
52. KDD38
AEC Regal III KDD38 with Harrington FC33F body, new to Bevan Brothers Soudley Valley, Gloucestershire, in 1950.
Photo taken Sunday 20 July 2014, Anstey Park, Alton
53. KXY486
New to Bradshaw, London S.E.18 in July 1950, KXY486 was a Daimler CVD6 with a Harrington FC33F body. In this nearside view it is seen at Victoria Coach Station on hire to Royal Blue whilst in the fleet of Wessex, Bristol.
Photo taken Saturday 5 August 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
54. KXY488
New to Bradshaw, London S.E.18 in July 1950, KXY488 was a Daimler CVD6 with a Harrington FC33F body. It is seen at Victoria Coach Station on hire to Royal Blue whilst in the fleet of Wessex, Bristol.
Photo taken Saturday 22 July 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
55. KYH44
This Leyland PS2 Harrington new to Ewer's Grey Green fleet in 1950 was one of five bought by Mulley's Motorways in 1961. The different fleetnames Mulley's used were those of companies taken over, in this case Corona of Acton, Sudbury. Seen here in Colchester's late lamented Bus Station, it was on the regular Sunday evening bingo run. KYH44 lasted until July 1968.
Photo taken Sunday 21 August 1966, Colchester Bus Station
56. LLY852
LLY852 had the third Harrington Wayfarer body built. The C41C body was mounted on a Leyland PSU1/13 chassis, the fifteenth Royal Tiger to be built, and it was new in November 1950 to Ewer, London N.16 in whose Grey Green fleet it is seen at Ascot.
Photo taken Saturday 23 June 1962, Ascot
57. LTF808
New to Jackson, Chorley in April 1950, LTF808 was a Leyland PS1/1 with a Harrington C33F body which was acquired by Harper Bros., Heath Hayes from Dunn & Hales, Brownhills along with seven other vehicles, and numbered 22 in April 1958.
Photo taken Sunday 22 March 1964
58. LUP1
Harrington Courier FC37F coachwork was carried by this Foden PVFE6, LUP1, of West Herts, Garston seen at Wembley Stadium. It had been new in late 1950 to Pearson, Hetton-le-Hole and was the only vertical engined chassis to carry "The Harrington Courier" on its coachwork,
Photo taken Saturday 18 April 1959, Wembley
59. LUW61
Harrington C33F bodied Leyland PS2/3 LUW61 had been new in November 1950 to Streatham Vale, London S.W.16 but is seen here in Buckingham Palace Road waiting to enter Victoria Coach Station whilst with Crump (Denham Coaches), Pinner.
Photo taken Saturday 29 July 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
60. MMB838
Ellis Bros. MMB838, an A.E.C. 9621E Regal III with a Harrington C33F body new in June 1950 to Yates, Runcorn. It passed to Ellis, Buckley in March 1963 and was withdrawn in July 1965.
Photo taken May 1964, Blackpool
61. MTE383
MTE383, new in December 1950, was an early Leyland Royal Tiger of the PSU1/15 variant with unique Harrington Explorer C39F bodywork.
Photo taken Saturday 18 July 1964, Midland Road, London Kings Cross
62. MYA246
Cronshaw, London N.W.9 MYA246, seen at Gilwell Park, was a Leyland CPO1 Comet with a Harrington C29F body which had been new in June 1950 to Blue Motors, Minehead.
Photo taken Saturday 3 July 1965, Gilwell Park
63. MYA590
MYA590 is a Leyland Comet CPP1 with a Harrington "dorsal fin" C29F body dating from 1950.
Photo taken 1968, Tiverton
64. MYA590
MYA590 is a 1950 Leyland Comet CP01 with Harrington 'Dorsal Fin' C29F bodywork.
Photo taken Sunday 25 July 2010, Marine Parade, Worthing
65. MYA590
Rear view of Leyland Comet / Harrington MYA590 showing 'Dorsal Fin' and 'Pirates Hat' strakes on rear wheel arches.
Photo taken Sunday 25 July 2010, Marine Parade, Worthing
66. MYA590
What is believed to be the first time since they were preserved, the two Leyland Scarlet Pimpernel coaches MYA590 and JYC855 are seen together. Both have Harrington bodywork with dorsal fins.
Photo taken Sunday 17 April 2016, Brooklands
67. NCV500
An interior view showing the dorsal fin of NCV500 of E. J. Deeble, Upton Cross. It was a Leyland PSU1/11 Royal Tiger with a Harrington Wayfarer C36C body which had been new to Pearce, Polperro in December 1950
Photo taken Monday 26 July 1971, Upton Cross
68. NKN650
NKN650, preserved ex Maidstone & District LC1 'The Knightrider' is a 1950 Commer Avenger 1, fitted with a Harrington C16F body.
Photo taken Sunday 31 July 2005, Marine Parade, Worthing
69. URE281
Lymers URE281 is the preserved Harrington-bodied AEC Regal III dating from 1950, and is seen arriving at the end of the Trans-Pennine Rally.
Photo taken Sunday 10 August 1969, the first Trans-Pennine Rally, Harrogate
70. URE281
A colour picture of Lymers URE281 - the preserved Harrington-bodied AEC Regal III dating from 1950, in which you can just see the start of the dorsal fin.
Photo taken Sunday 9 May 2010, Potteries Rally - Wedgewood Museum
71. URE281
Climbing New Bank in Halifax is preserved Lymer, Tean URE281, an A.E.C. 9621A Regal III with a Harrington FC33F body, on its way to Harrogate on the Trans-Pennine Rally.
Photo taken Sunday 6 August 1972, New Bank, Halifax
72. HDL304
Southern Vectis 104, HDL304, a Commer Avenger with Harrington C33F body new in 1951 to Nash of Ventnor.
Photo taken June 1960, Shanklin Bus Station, Isle of Wight
73. J26019
Mascot Motors, St. Helier 17, J26019, was a Commer Avenger with a Harrington C35F body seen at their garage in St. Helier.
Photo taken Thursday 24 May 1973, Mascot Garage, St. Helier
74. LUF811
Southdown 1671, LUF811, was a Leyland Royal Tiger with a Harrington Wayfarer C41C body from 1951, and is seen during its final months before sale to Wimpey (contractor).
Photo taken 1966, Bognor Regis
75. LUF823
Southdown 1683, LUF823, a Leyland Royal Tiger PSU1/15 with Harrington C41C body, new in 1951
Photo taken Tuesday 11 August 1964, London Victoria Coach Station
76. LUF823
Southdown 1823, LUF823, a 1951 Harrington bodied Leyland PSU1/15 'Royal Tiger' seen after being up-seated from 32 seats to 41 in Spring 1961. The vehicle was about to be taken to Victoria Road Works in Portslade for a repaint from which it emerged all green and re-entered service as fleetnumber 1683. Withdrawn circa 1967/68.
Photo taken Spring 1961, Cavendish Place depot and coach station, Eastbourne
77. LYE187
Seen at Ascot having been new in February 1951 to Ewer, London N.16, LYE187 was a Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger with a Harrington Wayfarer C41C body. Companion coach, LYE 186, new at the same time had a PSU1/13 chassis.
Photo taken Saturday 23 June 1962, Ascot
78. LYE945
LYE945 was a Leyland PSU1/11 Royal Tiger with a Harrington Wayfarer C41C body new to Ewer, London N.16 in February 1951. Seen here at Ascot it had been transferred to the Fallowfield & Britten subsidiary.
Photo taken Saturday 23 June 1962, Ascot
79. MLD839
Seen on Ebury Bridge was B.O.A.C. 1651F, MLD839, a Commer 33A Avenger with a Harrington C29C body new in November 1951. It had an additional entrance centrally placed on the off-side and was no doubt laying over between journeys from the Air Terminal in Buckingham Palace Road.
Photo taken Saturday 18 April 1959, Ebury Bridge, London
80. MLK952
New in November 1951 to Ewer, London N.16, MLK952 was a Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger with a Harrington Wayfarer C41C body and is seen at Ascot when in Ewer's Grey Green fleet.
Photo taken Saturday 23 June 1962, Ascot
81. MXB806
A nearside view of a Harrington Wayfarer C41C body on a Leyland PSU1/11 Royal Tiger is provided by MXB806 of Ewer, London N.16, new in November 1951, which is carrying the Grey-Green fleetname and was seen at Ascot races.
Photo taken Saturday 21 July 1962, Ascot
82. MXB807
MXB807 of Fallowfield & Britten, London N.16, (part of the George Ewer group) seen at Wembley Stadium, was a Leyland PSU1/11 Royal Tiger with a Harrington Wayfarer C41C body new in November 1951.
Photo taken Saturday 9 May 1959, Wembley Stadium
83. MXB808
Seen at Kings Cross Coach Station, Pentonville Road is MXB808 of George Ewer (Grey Green), London N.16. This was a Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger with Harrington Wayfarer C41C body new in November 1951.
Photo taken Friday 11 August 1961, Pentonville Road Coach Station, London Kings Cross
84. MXB809
MXB809 of Orange Luxury Coaches, London N.16 was a Leyland PSU1/11 Royal Tiger with a Harrington Wayfarer C41C body new in November 1951 to Ewer, London N.16 seen at Ascot races.
Photo taken Saturday 21 July 1962, Ascot
85. MYD985
MYD985 was an A.E.C. 9821E Regal IV with a Harrington Wayfarer C37C body which had been new in August 1951 to Bowerman, Taunton which was seen at Victoria Coach Station on hire to Royal Blue.
Photo taken Saturday 8 July 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
86. PPF492
Immaculately preserved ex-Surrey Motors 36, PPF492, is a AEC Regal III 6821A fitted with a Harrington C37F half cab body, along with PPF491 one of two new in May 1951.
Photo taken July 2003, Marine Parade, Worthing
87. PPF492
PPF492, preserved ex Surrey Motors 36, a 1951 AEC Regal III 6821A with Harrington C37F coachwork.
Photo taken Sunday 31 July 2005, Marine Parade, Worthing
88. PPF492
PPF492, an AEC Regal III with Harrington C37F Body new to Surrey Motors. Sutton. Surrey fleet no. 36 in 1951
Photo taken Sunday 29 July 2012, Marine Parade, Worthing
89. PPF492
Surrey Motors AEC Regal 36, PPF492, will doubtless have visited Worthing many times before during its service life.
Photo taken Sunday 28 July 2013, Marine Parade, Worthing
90. PPF492
Rear view of PPF492, an AEC Regal III with Harrington C37F Body new to Surrey Motors, Sutton, Surrey in 1951, fleet no. 36.
Photo taken Sunday 16 July 2017, Anstey Park, Alton
91. KHO718
New in May 1952, KHO718 was an A.E.C. 9621A Regal III with a Harrington FC35F body in the Glider & Blue, Bishops Waltham fleet of Basil Williams, Emsworth which is seen here at Wembley Stadium.
Photo taken Saturday 18 April 1959, Wembley
92. KOY345
Bourne & Balmer, Croydon KOY345 was a Harrington Wayfarer C41C bodied Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger new in May 1952.
Photo taken Sunday 13 September 1964, Southend (?)
93. LUF811
LUF811 was the second in a batch of 20 Leyland Royal Tiger PSU1/15s with Harrington C26C bodies, new to Southdown Motor Services in 1952. It was numbered 811 and entered service in January 1952.
Photo taken July 1963, Petworth House
94. LUF821
Southdown 1821, LUF821, was a Harrington C26C bodied Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger new in 1952 as 821 and renumbered in 1955/6 seen at Victoria Coach Station.
Photo taken Saturday 19 July 1958, London Victoria Coach Station
95. OTE915
Harrington ‘Courier’ C41C bodywork was carried by Gregson, Skelmersdale’s Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger, OTE915, dating from 1952 and seen at Wembley Stadium.
Photo taken Saturday 13 May 1961, Wembley Stadium
96. PAF36
E. J. Deeble, Upton Cross PAF36 is seen here at Deeble's garage. It was a Leyland PSU1/11 Royal Tiger with a Harrington Wayfarer C41C body with a dorsal fin which had been new to Hawkey, Newquay in June 1952. The 'Liskeard' in the destination glass can be explained by Deeble's address being The Garage, Upton Cross, Liskeard. There was at one time also A.J. Deeble & Son, Darley Ford, Upton Cross, Liskeard just to cause confusion.
Photo taken Monday 26 July 1971, Upton Cross
97. PKE272
Maidstone & District CO272, PKE272, carried the only Harrington Commander body built which dates from 1952 and seated C37C when new. The chassis was a standard Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger.
Photo taken Saturday 10 June 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
98. PKE272
This unique Harrington Commander C37C body was fitted to a Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger, to become PKE272, which was CO272 in the Maidstone & District fleet and which was seen at Victoria Coach Station.
Photo taken Wednesday 3 June 1959, London Victoria Coach Station
99. KDK1
Harrington Wayfarer C41C bodywork was carried by KDK1, a Leyland PSU1/16 Royal Tiger, new to Ellen Smith, Rochdale in 1953.
Photo taken Thursday 8 June 1961, Smith’s garage, Yorkshire Street, Rochdale
100. NLP803
Seen in Buckingham Palace Road outside the Air Terminal was B.O.A.C. 1864F, NLP803, a Harrington-Commer Contender new in 1953 with a C35C body. It had an additional entrance centrally placed on the off-side and along with the other four in the batch was demoted to non-P.S.V. status around 1960 and used as a terminal transfer coach. It was withdrawn and sold in April 1962.
Photo taken Saturday 18 April 1959, Buckingham Palace Road, London SW
101. PYA973
PYA973 was a Bedford SB with a Harrington C33F body new in May 1953 to Porlock Weir & Porlock (Porlock Blue Motors), Minehead. It is seen on hire to Royal Blue at Victoria Coach Station carrying the Scarlet & Blue fleetname, adopted after the amalgamation of Porlock Weir & Porlock with Hawkins (Scarlet Pimpernel), Minehead.
Photo taken Saturday 22 July 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
102. HWV793
Shergold & White (Silver Star), Porton Down 28, HWV793, a Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger had a Leyland C41C body and carried fleet number 13 when new but it was rebodied with a Harrington Wayfarer C41C body in 1956 after a serious accident and renumbered. It was seen in Manchester at the Parker Street Coach Park on a Forces leave service.
Photo taken Sunday 4 May 1958, Parker Street Coach Park, Manchester
103. OLD94
A brand new Harrington bodied Bedford SB, OLD94, a fine vehicle shown on a day trip from the Orange Coach Station at Brixton.
Photo taken summer 1954, Fish Market Coach Park, Sea Front, Hastings
104. ORU263
Harrington bodied Albions formed the core of Charlies Cars fleet and this is 68, ORU263, an FT39AL with FC35F body new in 1954 and seen on hire to Western/Southern National at Victoria Coach Station.
Photo taken Saturday 24 June 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
105. SKE985
Maidstone & District CO289, SKE985, a Harrington Wayfarer C37C bodied Leyland PSU1/15 Royal Tiger new in January 1954, the first of twelve, is seen on the spare ground at the top end of Victoria Coach Station adjacent to the overseas departures building.
Photo taken Saturday 10 September 1960, Ebury Street, near London Victoria Coach Station
106. SKE991
Unidentified owner, SKE991, a Leyland Royal Tiger PSU1/15 built in 1954 with Harrington C37C bodywork.
Photo taken February 1969, The Potteries, north east of Newcastle under Lyme
107. TKM317
A line up of Maidstone and District coaches, one of the WKM semi-chassisless Beadle rebuilds on the left and then five of the TKM batch of AEC Reliances with Harrington C37C bodies, new in 1954/5 including from the left CO317, TKM317, CO335, TKM335, CO336, TKM336 and CO313, TKM313.
Photo taken c. 1957, London Victoria Coach Station
108. TKM319
C Cornes & Son - contractor - TKM319, an AEC Reliance MU3RV built in 1954 with Harrington C37C bodywork.
Photo taken March 1969, Keele University
109. TKM328
New to Maidstone & District as CO328, TKM328 had become Hebble 28 when seen at their Walnut Street garage in Halifax.
Photo taken Sunday 8 September 1968, Walnut Street Garage, Halifax
110. TKM329
Former Maidstone & District CO329, TKM329, a 1954 AEC Reliance 2MU3RV with 37 seat centre entrance Harrington body. The bus is seen in 1973 after withdrawal by Maidstone & District
Photo taken August 1973, Preston
111. VHA322
VHA322, new to Gliderways, Smethwick in 1954, had passed to Regent Motorways, Redditch by the time of this shot at Victoria Coach Station. It was a Leyland PSUC1/2T Tiger Cub with Harrington Wayfarer C37C body.
Photo taken Saturday 15 July 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
112. VHA325
New to Gliderways, Smethwick in 1954, VHA325 had passed to Holder, Charlton-on-Otmoor when this photograph was taken at their garage. It shows the famous ‘Dorsal Fin’ available as an option on the Wayfarer body, seen here in C37C form on the Leyland PSUC1/2T Tiger Cub.
Photo taken Sunday 7 April 1963, Depot, High Street, Charlton-on-Otmoor
113. 415DHA
This is a photograph that I took in early summer of 1959 and shows much respected Bearwood Independent Coach operator, Gliderways, Leyland Tiger Cub with Harrington Wayfarer MK IV bodywork, registration 415DHA parked in Vince Street Bearwood.
Photo taken June 1959, Vince Street, Bearwood
114. KMW644
Shergold & White (Silver Star), Porton Down KMW644, a Harrington C41C bodied Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub seen in a temporary car park at Broadway, Bradford on a forces weekend leave service.
Photo taken Sunday 6 May 1956, Broadway, Bradford
115. MMR552
Preserved ex-Silver Star 10, MMR552, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 with Harrington 41 seat centre entrance body dating from 1955.
Photo taken Sunday 18 July 2010, Alton
116. MMR552
Preserved ex-Silver Star 10, MMR552, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 with Harrington 41 seat centre entrance body dating from June 1955.
Photo taken Saturday 3 November 2012, Sandbanks
117. MMR553
Silver Star of Porton Down 26, MMR553, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 with Harrington 41 seat centre entrance body dating from 1955.
Photo taken Saturday 8 May 2004, Pudsey
118. MMR553
Preserved Silver Star 26, MMR553, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 with Harrington 41 seat centre entrance body dating from 1955.
Photo taken Sunday 14 July 2002, Tamworth
119. MMR553
Ex Silver Star 26, MMR553, a 1955 Leyland PSUC1/2 with Harrington C41C body, seen at 6am about to depart for Showbus. This is a sight that would be familiar to many thousands of National Servicemen in the 1950's and 60's as they clamoured to get on such coaches on a Friday night for weekend leave to the North and Midlands!
Photo taken Sunday 22 September 2013, Dewsbury
120. REL792
Seen at Victoria Coach Station was REL792 which was an Albion FT39AL with a Harrington C35F body new in March 1955 to Charlie's Cars, Bournemouth and which carried fleet number 70.
Photo taken Saturday 17 June 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
121. SJJ313
SJJ313, a Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub new in December 1955 with a Harrington Wayfarer IV C37C body in the Grey Green fleet of Ewer, London N.16.
Photo taken Saturday 9 May 1959, Wembley Stadium
122. SJJ315
SJJ315 of Orange Luxury Coaches, dating from December 1955 was a Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub with Harrington C37C body, seen here flanked by two Harrington Bedford SB8s at the Orange Coach Station/Garage at Brixton.
Photo taken Sunday 29 December 1963, Brixton
123. SJJ316
Orange Luxury Coaches, London N.16 operated Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub SJJ316 which had a Harrington Wayfarer IV C41C body and which was new to Ewer, London N.16 in February 1955. It is seen here at Ascot Races alongside SJJ317.
Photo taken Saturday 21 July 1962, Ascot
124. SJJ317
SJJ317 in the fleet of Orange Luxury Coaches, London N.16 was a Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub with a Harrington Wayfarer IV C41C body new in February 1955 to Ewer, London N.16. It is seen here at Ascot Races alongside SJJ316.
Photo taken Saturday 21 July 1962, Ascot
125. TKM348
New in 1955, Maidstone & District CO348, TKM348, was one of forty-seven A.E.C. MU3RV Reliances with Harrington Wayfarer C37C bodies and is seen on Ebury Bridge.
Photo taken Saturday 28 June 1958, Ebury Bridge, near London Victoria Coach Station
126. YHA26
Farr (contractor) YHA26, a Leyland Royal Tiger Worldmaster RT3/1 with Harrington Wayfarer C37C body, new to Gliderways of Smethwick in 1955.
Photo taken Friday 18 September 1970, Wainfleet
127. MWU749K
New to the R.A.F. as 02 AC 48 in 1956, this Bedford A3LZG had a Harrington body which had been B10F with the R.A.F. as a crew carrier but had been upseated to B22F and re-registered MWU749K when sold in December 1971 to Darfield Foulstone High School, Darfield.
128. NMW340
Shergold & White (Silver Star), Porton Down ran forces leave services from there to various northern cities. Seen here in Portland Street coach park, Manchester was number 27, NMW340, the Harrington-Commer Contender integral with C41C body, new in 1956.
Photo taken Sunday 27 October 1957, Portland Street Coach Park, Manchester
129. XKA262
Williams, Glanaman ran XKA262, a Harrington Contender V with Rolls Royce running gear and a C41F body incorporating the Harrington 'Dorsal Fin', the modified shape of the rear bulkhead windows being clearly visible.
Photo taken Tuesday 3 August 1971
130. 378BKM
Maidstone & District CO378, 378BKM, a Harrington Wayfarer V C37F bodied AEC MU3RV Reliance new in 1957 seen at Ascot.
Photo taken Saturday 19 July 1958, Ascot
131. OHR281
Shergold & White (Silver Star) 30, OHR281, Leyland Tiger Cub/ Harrington C41F, originally with centre entrance, on a forces leave service in Bridge Street Coach Park in Leeds.
Photo taken Saturday 14 July 1962, Bridge Street Coach Park, Leeds
132. PMW386
New to Silver Star, as numbers 33 and 32, RAM620 and PMW386 had become Wilts & Dorset 903 and 902 by the time of this shot at Salisbury. They were both Harrington DP41F bodied Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cubs which originally carried the Silver Star motif in the modified roof dome.
Photo taken Sunday 14 July 1968, Salisbury
133. SWP722
Regent Motorways, Redditch had a number of coaches on hire to operators into London on weekends during the summer months and three are seen in this view at Victoria Coach Station. SWP722 was an A.E.C. MU3RV Reliance with a Harrington Wayfarer V C41C body, new in May 1957.
Photo taken Saturday 15 July 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
134. WAT675
East Yorkshire 675, WAT675, a Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub with a Harrington Wayfarer V C35F body seen opposite number 2 Grosmont Terrace, Bramley, Leeds.
Photo taken Saturday 13 September 1958, Grosmont Terace, Bramley, Leeds
135. WAT676
The 1957 intake of coaches by East Yorkshire was five Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cubs with Harrington Wayfarer V C35F bodies and 676, WAT676, named 'Dales Star' is seen leaving Wembley Stadium, indicating an intention to turn left.
Photo taken Saturday 13 May 1961, Wembley Stadium
136. YYB118
Three of these Dennis Lancet UFs with Harrington B42F bodies were supplied in 1957 to Hutchings & Cornelius, South Petherton. YYB118 was new in August and is seen outside the garage.
Photo taken Sunday 19 May 1968, South Petherton
137. 249BKM
Maidstone & District SO249, 249BKM, a Harrington B42F bodied A.E.C. 2MU3RV Reliance (AH410) new in 1958 and SO297, 297GKK, a Weymann B42F bodied A.E.C. 2MU3RV Reliance (AH410) new in 1960 are seen in the Bus Station in Maidstone..
Photo taken Saturday 26 November 1960, Maidstone Bus Station
138. 255BKM
Clynnog & Trefor 255BKM, an AEC Reliance with Harrington B42F body, new in 1958 to Maidstone & District as SO255.
Photo taken Tuesday 26 August 1980, Trefor Depot
139. 255BKM
Welsh operator Clynnog & Trevor Motor Co. purchased Maidstone & District 3255 in October 1971. 255BKM is a 1958 AEC Reliance (MU3RV 1847) with Harrington B42F body.
Photo taken Trefor
140. 258BKM
Maidstone & District SO258, 258BKM, seen in Sutherland Street, near Victoria Coach Station was new in 1958 and was an A.E.C. 2MU3RV Reliance with a Harrington B42F body.
Photo taken Saturday 28 June 1958, Sutherland Street, near London Victoria Coach Station
141. 390DKK
390DKK is a 1958 AEC Reliance with Harrington body, new to Maidstone
Photo taken Sunday 27 April 2008, Edenbridge Station
142. 390DKK
Naturally, the local operators Maidstone and District and East Kent were well represented at the festival. One M&D vehicle which Brian had not seen before was Harrington bodied AEC Reliance coach SC390, 390DKK.
Photo taken Saturday 6 April 2013, Kent Showground, Detling
143. 390DKK
390DKK was the first of twenty Harrington Wayfarer V C41F bodied A.E.C. 2MU3RV Reliances new in 1958/9 to Maidstone & District. Initially numbered CO390 it was renumbered to C390 in July 1961 and to SC390 when the front end was rebuilt in June 1963 with a modified bus front by Harrington and converted to DP40F. In January 1968 it became number 2390.
Photo taken Sunday 18 May 2014, Sevenoaks Bus Station
144. 406DKK
Maidstone and District C406, 406DKK, an AEC Reliance 2MU3RV with Harrington C41F body, new in 1958
Photo taken Tuesday 11 August 1964, London Victoria Coach Station
145. 721FHA
A rear view showing the dorsal fin of Gliderways, Smethwick 721FHA, a Leyland PSUC1/2 with a Harrington Wayfarer V C41F body seen at Wembley Stadium. The Wayfarer V body was the last one to be available with the dorsal fin, it not being offered on the Cavalier or the Grenadier.
Photo taken Saturday 29 April 1961, Wembley Stadium
146. LCS638
Seen leaving the B.O.A.C. Airways terminal in Buckingham Palace Road is B.O.A.C. 089F, LCS638, which was a Harrington integral coach with Rolls-Royce running gear and a C35C body. It was the last of three which had been new to B.O.A.C. at Prestwick Airport between 1956 and 1958.
Photo taken Sunday 16 August 1964, Buckingham Palace Road, Victoria
147. OUH107
Western Welsh 107, OUH107, a Harrington Wayfarer V C34F bodied AEC MU3RV Reliance new in March 1958 seen at Ascot with KLA206, an Allweather C30F bodied Commer Q4 new to Smith, London N.1 in July 1949.
Photo taken Saturday 21 June 1958, Ascot
148. SAM47
Waiting in Sutherland Street was Silver Star, Porton Down 34, SAM47, a Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub with a Harrington Wayfarer V C41F body before starting in the British Coach Rally.
Photo taken Saturday 18 April 1959, Sutherland Street, London
149. TAA900
TAA900 with Elmtree of Wealdstone, Middlesex, an AEC Reliance MU3RV /Harrington Wayfarer C41F new in 1958 to Creamline of Bordon, Hants.
Photo taken 1975, Wealdstone, Middlesex
150. VGT331
VGT331 was a Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub with a Harrington Wayfarer V C41F body in the Grey Green fleet of Ewer, London N.16 and was new in June 1958.
Photo taken Saturday 9 May 1959, Wembley Stadium
151. WLJ955
Charlies Cars 73, WLJ955, was a Harrington Wayfarer V C41F bodied Albion MR11L Arberdonian seen in Sutherland Street before leaving for Brighton when taking part in the British Coach Rally.
Photo taken Saturday 18 April 1959, Sutherland Street, London
152. WLJ956
Shamrock and Rambler of Bournemouth WLJ956, an Albion Aberdonian with Harrington C41F body, operating a Royal Blue service.
Photo taken Tuesday 11 August 1964, London Victoria Coach Station
153. 417FKL
Maidstone & District 4417, 417FKL, an AEC Reliance 2MU3RV with Harrington Mk IV C41F body, new in 1959 as CO417. This design of body is popularly referred to as the Wayfarer IV, but it seems that Harrington themselves may not have used the Wayfarer name by this time.
Photo taken Tuesday 14 July 1970, Hastings Bus Station
154. 418FKL
Maidstone & District CO418, 418FKL, an AEC Reliance 2MU3RV with Harrington C41F body, new in 1959
Photo taken c. 1960, London Victoria Coach Station
155. VHO200
This Seddon with Harrington bodywork, VHO200, was new in 1959 to Creamline of Bordon. It is now owned by Thornes of Hemingborough and is still in service some 53 years after it first turned a wheel.
Photo taken 1995, Halifax
156. VXP509
A. Timpson & Sons Ltd, Catford, SE6, VXP509, an AEC Reliance with Harrington Wayfarer C37F body, new in March 1959.
Photo taken Sunday 18 July 1965, Main Depot, Rushey Green, Catford
157. WMJ934
Taylor, Meppershall WMJ934 was a Bedford SB1 with a Harrington Crusader C41F body new in May 1959 and rests at Ascot having brought a party to the races.
Photo taken Saturday 18 July 1959, Ascot
158. WUF224
Not all Harrington vehicles were full size and this Karrier BFD3023 was one of two delivered to Interline, Harlington with C13F bodies. WUF224 is seen in Aldwych, London outside the Waldorf.
Photo taken Sunday 21 June 1964, London Aldwych
159. WXC342
WXC342, a Bedford SB8 with a Harrington Crusader C37F body was entered in the British Coach Rally by Orange Luxury Coaches, London N.16, a subsidiary company of George Ewer, London N.16. It is seen here in Sutherland Street awaiting its turn to start the journey to Brighton from Victoria Coach Station.
Photo taken Saturday 18 April 1959, Sutherland Street, London
160. WXC346
This Harrington Crusader bodied Bedford SB8, WXC346, was in the Grey Green fleet of George Ewer, London N.16 and is seen on Madeira Drive at Brighton taking part in the British Coach Rally.
Photo taken Sunday 19 April 1959, Madeira Drive, Brighton
161. XCR892
Summerbee, Southampton XCR892 was an A.E.C. 2MU3RA Reliance with a Harrington Wayfarer V C41F body new in March 1959 and is seen here at Ascot race course.
Photo taken Saturday 18 July 1959, Ascot
162.
Ebert Silva 23Sri9515 was an Albion MR11L Aberdonian with a Harrington Wayfarer V C41F body seen at Dehiwala.
Photo taken Thursday 4 February 1982, Dehiwala, Sri Lanka
163. 315LKK
Maidstone & District 3315, 315LKK, an Albion Nimbus NS3N with Harrington B30F body, new in 1960.
Photo taken Tuesday 14 July 1970, Hastings Bus Station
164. 316LKK
Maidstone & District SO316, 316LKK, an Albion NS3N Nimbus with a Harrington B30F body was seen outside Tonbridge Garage.
Photo taken Saturday 21 July 1962, Tonbridge Garage
165. 432FXX
The other hired Leopard coach was Southend 204, 432FXX, ex Grey Green Harrington example, also seen outside St Christophers School. It was later fitted with blinds and was used on stage services in times of dire need, usually crew operated as it did not have a power door.
Photo taken Wednesday 3 March 1976, St. Christophers School, Mountdale Gardens, Leigh
166. 433LKE
Maidstone & District 4433, 433LKE, a 1960 AEC 'Reliance' with Harrington C41F bodywork.
Photo taken Saturday 17 June 1967, Beach Road/Royal Parade junction, Eastbourne
167. 477AOP
Most enthusiasts of a certain age find Harrington bodywork easy on the eye. Flights Tours of Birmingham AEC Reliance 477AOP dates from from 1960 and has an early Harrington Cavalier body the subtle lines of which still look good 53 years later. This coach was used for extended tours and only carried 25 passengers.
Photo taken Sunday 4 August 2013, Trans-Pennine Rally, Harrogate Stray
168. 6692KH
East Yorkshire 692, 6692KH, a 1960 Leyland Leopard PSUC1/2 with Harrington Cavalier body seating 35.
Photo taken 1997, Harrogate
169. 773ALR
Harris, Grays 773ALR, seen here at Ascot races, was a Bedford SB3 with a Harrington Crusader C41F body which had been new in 1960 to Winwood, London E.10.
Photo taken Saturday 19 June 1965, Ascot Racecourse
170. 799JRR
Barton 939, 799JRR, an AEC Reliance 2MU3RA with Harrington Cavalier C41F body, new in 1960 and acquired from Robin Hood the following year.
Photo taken Saturday 9 May 1964, Seaway Car Park, Southend
171. 99GAL
Barton, Chilwell 936, 99GAL, seen at the Yelloway Coach Station in Bloomfield Road, Blackpool, was an A.E.C. 2MU3RA Reliance with a Harrington Cavalier C41F body, the first of three new in June 1960 to Dennis (Robin Hood), Nottingham.
Photo taken Sunday 16 April 1972, Yelloway Coach Station, Bloomfield Road, Blackpool
172. EHD968
Hebble 3, EHD968, an A E C Reliance 2MU3RV built in 1960 with Harrington Cavalier C41F bodywork, new as Yorkshire Woollen District 854.
Photo taken May 1972, Redcar Racecourse
173. EHD968
Seen in Leeds Bus Station operating the X32 to Sheffield is Hebble, Dewsbury 3, EHD968 - with an immaculate destination display.
Photo taken Tuesday 18 April 1972, Leeds Bus Station
174. EHD970
Hebble 5, EHD970, an A E C Reliance 2MU3RV built in 1960 with Harrington Cavalier C41F bodywork (UW 6tons 8cwt 3quarters). This had been new as Yorkshire Woollen District 856.
Photo taken May 1972, Redcar Racecourse
175. EHD976
Hebble 11, EHD976, an AEC Reliance with Harrington C41F body, new to Yorkshire Woollen District in in 1960, joining Hebble in 1970 with fleet number 434 and renumbered as 11 in November 1971. Seen here in the rough parking ground in Barnsley, adjacent to the bus station, which was often used as an overflow area.
Photo taken June 1972, Barnsley
176. MCP819
Hebble MCP819, an AEC Reliance with Harrington Cavalier C41F body, new in 1960. Originally numbered 45 but at the time this picture was taken, it had been renumbered 512 and re-liveried for stage carriage work.
Photo taken early 1971, Shelf
177. MCP821
Hebble MCP821, an AEC Reliance/Harrington Cavalier C41F coach, new in 1960 and photographed during Hebble's last week. Originally numbered 47 and supposedly renumbered 514 in 1970 but carrying fleet number 55 when photographed on stage carriage duty.
Photo taken c. 1971, Chester Street Bus Station, Bradford
178. SSA550
J Leask & Son, Lerwick, Shetland, SSA550, an A E C Reliance 2MU3RA built in 1960 with Harrington Cavalier C37F bodywork (UW 6-10-0). A rather poor view of a vehicle that had been new to McIntyre Coach Tours, Bucksburn, Aberdeen.
Photo taken August 1973, Commercial Street, Lerwick
179. TUH13
Western Welsh 13, TUH13, a 1960 Albion Nimbus with dual purpose Harrington body.
Photo taken 1994, off Charlestown Road, Halifax
180. TUH5
This Harrington DP30F bodied Albion Nimbus, TUH5, was numbered 5 in the Western Welsh fleet and is seen in the garage yard at Haverfordwest.
Photo taken Wednesday 15 August 1962, Haverfordwest
181. TUH7
Booth & Fisher Ltd. of Halfway operated an interesting assortment of single deckers. TUH7 was formerly Western Welsh No.7, and was an Albion Nimbus NS3N with Harrington DP30F body dating from 1960.
Photo taken Monday 12 April 1971, Depot, Halfway
182. TUH7
Former Western Welsh 7, TUH7, was a Harrington DP30F bodied Albion Nimbus, which entered service on 1 August 1960 and was one of a batch of 24 delivered between April and October of that year. It was withdrawn in March 1967 and sold to Booth & Fisher of Halfway, for whom it operated until 1975. Now preserved by Alan Dixon of Annfield Plain, it is seen at South Shields at the end of a rather damp Tees-Tyne Run.
Photo taken Sunday 1 June 2008, Bents Park
183. WWV564
Wilts & Dorset 909, WWV564, a Leyland Leopard with Harrington C41F body, new in 1960 to Silver Star, part of the fleet taken over in 1963. Note the 'On Hire to United' label on the windscreen.
Photo taken August 1964, Eccleston Place, near London Victoria Coach Station
184. XXT518
A Timpson & Sons XXT518, a 1960 AEC Reliance with superb Harrington Cavalier C41F bodywork.
Photo taken Monday 28 November 1966, rear of Depot, 175 Rushey Green, Catford (Plassy Road)
185. 117PKP
In its early days London Country were desperately short of vehicles and also had quite a large need for driver training vehicles. To meet this need a number of elderly vehicles were acquired from other NBC companies. Three of them were coaches previously with Maidstone & District, which were painted in all over National green and numbered in a T class. Here T3, 117PKP, is parked somewhere in LT territory, possibly Aldgate Bus Station.
186. 120LNY
Two Harrington C41F bodied AEC Reliances entered the Thomas Bros fleet in 1961, one of which, 120LNY, is seen at the garage.
Photo taken Saturday 6 September 1969, Thomas Bros Garage, Sandfields
187. 2700CD
Southdown 1700, 2700CD, has unloaded its passengers after arriving in Victoria Coach Station. It was a Leyland L2T Leopard, had a Harrington Cavalier body which, when new, was C28F.
Photo taken Saturday 5 June 1971, Victoria Coach Station
188. 2722CD
Preserved Southdown 1722, 2722CD, is a 1961 Leyland Leopard L2T fitted with the stylish Harrington Cavalier coachwork. Originally built as C28F 2+1 touring configuration, this vehicle was later converted to C37F
Photo taken July 2003, Worthing
189. 2729CD
Thomas Mouget & Co Ltd operated 2729CD, a Leyland Leopard L2 from 1961 with Harrington Cavalier C39F bodywork.
Photo taken June 1977, Redcar
190. 326CAA
Preserved King Alfred 326CAA, a 1961 Bedford SB3 with Harrington Crusader C41F body.
Photo taken Friday 1 January 2010, The Broadway, Winchester
191. 393BLK
393BLK, seen at Wembley Stadium, was a Bedford SB8 with a Harrington Crusader II C41F body new to Fallowfield & Britten, London N.16 in February 1961.
Photo taken Saturday 12 May 1962, Wembley Stadium
192. 418SPP
418SPP and 83VPP, a pair of AEC Reliance coaches with Harrington Cavalier C41F bodies, operated by Keith Coaches of Aylesbury. 418SPP was new in April 1961, 83VPP in December 1961.
Photo taken Wednesday 7 August 1963, Seaway Car Park, Southend
193. 818VNO
818VNO was an A.E.C. 2MU3RA Reliance with a Harrington Cavalier C41F body operated by Harris, Grays is seen at their garage in Grays.
Photo taken Sunday 27 April 1975, Grays
194. 8731CD
Southdown 1731, 8731CD a Leyland Leopard L2 new in November 1961. Coachwork was by Harrington originally C28F and reseated to C41F in 1971 and again to C39F in 1974.
Photo taken Sunday 10 May 1981, Berresfords Depot, Cheddleton
195. MCN54
Northern General 1954, MCN54, a Leyland Leopard L2 built in 1961 with Harrington Cavalier C37F bodywork. Relegated to bus duties and repainted accordingly (not an improvement).
Photo taken August 1972, North Burns, Chester-le-Street
196. MCN59
Northern 1959, MCN59, a Leyland Leopard L2 built in 1961 with Harrington Cavalier C37F bodywork.
Photo taken July 1971, Guisborough
197. PCK601
Ribble Motors, Leyland Leopard 1019, PCK601, with Harrington Cavalier body, built 1961.
Photo taken 1963, Liverpool Lime Street Express Bus Station
198. PCK603
Ribble Motors 1021, PCK603, a Leyland Leopard with Harrington Cavalier body, built 1961.
Photo taken 1963, Liverpool Lime Street Express Bus Station
199. PCK618
Ribble Motor Services 1036, PCK618, a Leyland Leopard L2 of 1961 with Harrington body, one ony many such coaches run by Ribble and its subsiduaries in the 1960s.
Photo taken Sunday 11 October 2009, Bolton Abbey Station
200. PCK618
Ribble Motor Services bought large numbers of these handsome Harrington bodied Leylands in the early 1960s. 1036, PCK618, is a 1961 Leyland Leopard L1 with a Harrington Cavalier body, seen in the car park of Kirkby Stephen CoOp during the 2014 Kirkby Stephen rally.
Photo taken Sunday 20 April 2014, Co-op car park, Kirkby Stephen
201. PCK619
New as Ribble 1037 in July 1961, PCK619 was a Leyland L2T Leopard with a Harrington Cavalier C32F body. By the time of this photograph in Brighton, when taking part in a British Coach Rally, it had passed to Grayline, Bicester who had fitted two tables with reversed seating towards the rear of the coach.
Photo taken Sunday 23 April 1972, Madeira Drive, Brighton
202. PCK621
Ribble Motors 1039, PCK621, a Leyland Leopard with Harrington Cavalier body, built 1961.
Photo taken 1961/62, Express Bus Station, Corner of North Road and Lords Walk. Preston
203. PCK834
Ribble 1052, PCK634, was a Leyland Leopard L2T with Harrington Cavalier C41F body, new in 1961.
Photo taken 1965, Swallow Falls, Betws-y-Coed
204. RGV111
Mulley's of Ixworth RGV111, an AEC Reliance 2MU3RV with Harrington Cavalier C37F body, new to Mulley's in 1961.
Photo taken July 1970, Brighton
205. VFR632
Nova Coaches ?? VFR632, a Ford Thames Trader 570E built in 1961 with Harrington Crusader C41F bodywork. New to Slack of Blackpool but not sure who the operator was when photographed.
Photo taken May 1972, Redcar Racecourse
206. YDK590
Seen in Kingston Road, Stoneleigh on its way to Epsom racecourse was YDK590, an A.E.C. 2MU3RA Reliance with a Harrington Cavalier C37F which had been new to Yelloway, Rochdale but was with Allmey, Eastcote, Middlesex at the time of the photograph.
Photo taken Wednesday 5 June 1974, Kingston Road, Stoneleigh
207. 25TKR
Maidstone and District C25, 25TKR, a 1962 AEC Reliance 2MU3RV with Harrington 37 seat bodywork
Photo taken August 1998, Trans-Pennine Rally, Harrogate Stray
208. 399DLD
A pair of Bedford SB8s with Harrington C37F bodies of Orange Luxury Coaches seen at the Coach Station/Garage at Brixton. WXC342, on the left has a Crusader I body dating from 1959 whilst 399DLD, dating from 1962, has a Crusader II body.
Photo taken Sunday 29 December 1963, Brixton
209. 427EYY
Grey Green 427EYY, a Harrington Grenadier C49F bodied Leyland PSU3/3RT Leopard is seen at King’s Cross Coach Station, Pentonville Road.
Photo taken Sunday 5 July 1964, Pentonville Road Coach Station, London Kings Cross
210. 541CFJ
541CFJ seen at Gilwell Park when operating for Thamesmead Motor Services, London S.E.9 was an A.E.C. 2MU3RV Reliance with a Harrington Cavalier C40F body. It had been new to Greenslades, Exeter as C36F and was acquired from them in January 1974. It passed to Bishop Challenor School, Shortlands in June 1976.
Photo taken Saturday 6 July 1974, Gilwell Park
211. 567EFJ
Thamesmead Motor Services of Belvedere 567EFJ, an AEC Reliance with Harrington Cavalier body, seen in the yard at Belvedere. The coach had been new to Greenslades in May 1962.
Photo taken Belvedere
212. 62AUF
62AUF was a Commer Avenger IV, with Harrington C35C body, new in October 1962 to Southdown Motor Services, no. 62.
Photo taken July 1963, Petworth House
213. 649CNW
Thomas, West Ewell 649CNW a 1962 A.E.C. 2MU3RA Reliance with a Harrington Cavalier C43F body, seen here in Stoneleigh Park Road, Stoneleigh, whilst working a rail replacement service, had been acquired from Austin, Dorking, in whose livery it is seen, in July 1975.
Photo taken Sunday 9 July 1978, Stoneleigh Park Road, Stoneleigh
214. 65AUF
Southdown 65, 65AUF, a Commer Avenger IV with Harrington Crusader C35F body, new in late 1962, alongside a Weymann Castillian-bodied Leyland Leopard of the same operator.
Photo taken Thursday 23 July 1970, Alfriston
215. 952SAF
Grenville Motors' Friday Only (Redruth Market Day) services to Troon and Nine Maidens/Hangman's Hill operated from a rather obscure terminus under the railway viaduct opposite the Bullers' Arms public house. 952SAF was a Bedford SB5 with Harrington C41F bodywork which was new to Grenville in May 1963. It carried the first Crusader Mk 3 body and had been exhibited in the Demonstration Park at the 1962 Motor Show.
Photo taken mid 1970s, Redruth, Bullers' Arms
216. XPM365
Jones (Audawn Coaches), Corringham operated this 1962 Harrington Crusader I C41F bodied Commer Avenger IV. XPM365 is seen at London Zoo coach park.
Photo taken Sunday 13 October 1963, London Zoo coach park
217. 1RDV
Preserved Grey Cars coach 1RDV at Okehampton Station having brought a party up from South Devon. Delivered in late 1963 but not entering service until the following year, it was one of eight AEC Reliances with the 7’6” wide variant of the Harrington Cavalier body.
Photo taken Sunday 15 September 2013, Okehampton Station
218. 248PH
Surrey Motors, Sutton 50, 248PH, new in May 1963 and seen at Ascot races was a Ford Thames 570E which had a Harrington Crusader III C41F body.
Photo taken Saturday 19 June 1965, Ascot Racecourse
219. 3738RH
East Yorkshire MS 738, 3738RH, a Leyland Leopard PSU3/3RT with Harrington Cavalier 36-foot C44F body, new in 1963, and named 'Kingston Star'.
Photo taken August 1970, Godley Lane, Stump Cross, Halifax
220. 3738RH
East Yorkshire 738, 3738RH, a Leyland Leopard PSU3/3R built in 1963 with Harrington Cavalier C44F bodywork.
Photo taken July 1973, Northallerton Bus Station
221. 431EYY
Grey Green 431EYY, a Harrington Cavalier C41F bodied Leyland L2 Leopard at King’s Cross Coach Station, Pentonville Road.
Photo taken Friday 27 December 1963, Pentonville Road Coach Station, London Kings Cross
222. 432RYD
Wilson of Carnwath, 432RYD, an Albion Nimbus NS3AN built in 1963 with Harrington bodywork.
Photo taken August 1978, Carnwath
223. 443GYR
443GYR seen in Colchester was a Leyland L2T Leopard with a Harrington Cavalier C41F body, new in December 1963, in the fleet of George Ewer (Grey Green), London N.16.
Photo taken February 1966, Colchester Bus Station
224. 4728DK
Ellen Smith, Rochdale. From right to left we have 4728DK, a Leyland Leopard PSU3/3RT with Harrington Cavalier 36 C45F body, new in 1963 and withdrawn in 1978; RDK4, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 with Duple Britannia C41C body, new in 1957 and withdrawn in 1974; UDK551, another Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 but with Harrington Wayfarer IV C41F body, new in 1959 and withdrawn in 1974.
Photo taken Sunday 13 February 1983, Ellen Smith's garage, Yorkshire Street, Rochdale
225. 527JBM
Sayer of Ipswich 527JBM, a Bedford SB5 with Harrington C41F body, new in 1963.
Photo taken December 1972, Ipswich
226. 547BUF
Southdown 1747, 547BUF, a Leyland Leopard L2 with Harrington C28F originally, of 1963. Seen at Battersea Wharf c.1974 on service layover from somewhere in Sussex, I believe these were touring coaches latterly upseated, this looks like about C41F. Lovely livery and fleetname. My BBF tells me that it's 31ft 5in. long, and Southdown had 22 of these between 1961 and 1963.
Photo taken c.1974, Battersea Wharf
227. 548BUF
Southdown touring coach 1748, 548BUF with a Harrington Cavalier body on a Leyland Leopard chassis that has changed hands in recent months. After leaving Southdown it was converted into a car transporter which it still is.
Photo taken Aug 2017, Sussex
228. 635WKL
Teddy's 635WKL, a 1963 AEC Reliance with Harrington C48F body new to Anglo-Continental, Tunbridge Wells
Photo taken Saturday 23 June 1973, Blackpool Coach Park
229. 749DCD
Preserved ex Southdown 1749, 749DCD is a 1963 Leyland Leopard L2T fitted with a Harrington C28F short Grenadier body. Note the Cavalier front panel as fitted to all Southdown Grenadiers. It is seen here at the 2014 Worthing Bus rally.
Photo taken Sunday 27 July 2014, Marine Parade, Worthing
230. 750DCD
Preserved ex Southdown car 1750, 750DCD, is a 1963 Leyland Leopard L2 fitted with a Harrington Grenadier C28F touring coach body.
Photo taken Sunday 26 July 2009, Marine Parade, Worthing
231. 750DCD
Classique Coaches ex Southdown 1750, 750DCD, a 1963 Leyland Leopard L2 with Harrington 28 seat body showing "Highlights of Europe" on destination which could well apply to the location high above Loch Long, also to the date the slide was taken!
Photo taken Friday 1 April 1994, Loch Long
232. 750DCD
Bickers, Coddenham 750DCD was a Leyland L2T Leopard with a Harrington C28F body, one of the hybrid bodies produced by Harrington, being a Grenadier body with a Cavalier lower front panel, seen at Weybridge Station car park. It had been new as Southdown 1750 in October 1963.
Photo taken Sunday 2 April 1978, Weybridge Station
233. 900SAF
900SAF is an A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliance with a 33' long Harrington Grenadier C43F body equipped with two tables. It is seen at Plaxtol having just operated a journey on route 68 from Sevenoaks Bus Station on the occasion of a London Transport Country Area Running Day. It was new in May 1963 to Hawkey, Newquay and later passed to Camden Coaches, Sevenoaks.
Photo taken Sunday 18 May 2014, Plaxtol
234. 900SAF
A rear view of 900SA an A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliance with a 33' long Harrington Grenadier C43F body. It is seen at Plaxtol having just operated a journey on route 68 from Sevenoaks Bus Station on the occasion of a London Transport Country Area Running Day. It was new in May 1963 to Hawkey, Newquay, when it was C47F, and later passed to Camden Coaches, Sevenoaks.
Photo taken Sunday 18 May 2014, Plaxtol
235. 900SAF
An interior view of 900SAF looking towards the front on its return to Sevenoaks Bus Station from Plaxtol. It is an A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliance with a 33' long Harrington Grenadier C43F body equipped with two tables. New in May 1963 to Hawkey, Newquay, when it was C47F, it later passed to Camden Coaches, Sevenoaks.
Photo taken Sunday 18 May 2014, Sevenoaks Bus Station
236. 900SAF
An interior view of 900SAF looking towards the rear on its return to Sevenoaks Bus Station from Plaxtol. It is an A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliance with a 33' long Harrington Grenadier C43F body equipped with two tables. New in May 1963 to Hawkey, Newquay, when it was C47F, it later passed to Camden Coaches, Sevenoaks.
Photo taken Sunday 18 May 2014, Sevenoaks Bus Station
237. NMU7
Premier Travel NMU7, an AEC Reliance with Harrington C51F body, new in April 1963 to Valliant, London W5.
Photo taken September 1972, Great Yarmouth
238. NMU7
Premier Travel, Cambridge 217, NMU7, an A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliance with a Harrington Cavalier C51F body was one of four which had been new in 1963 to Valliant, London W.5, all of which passed to Premier Travel in February 1971.
Photo taken Saturday 7 August 1971, Cheltenham Coach Station
239. PCN15
Northern General 2615, PCN15, Leyland Leopard PSU3/3R built in 1963 with Harrington Grenadier C44F bodywork.
Photo taken April 1973, Whitby Station
240. PCN15
Northern General 2615, PCN15, a Leyland Leopard PSU3/3R built in 1963 with Harrington Grenadier C44F bodywork.
Photo taken July 1971, by The Cricket Ground, off Rectory Lane, Guisborough
241. PCN18
Northern General 2618, PCN18, a Leyland Leopard PSU3/3R built in 1963 with Harrington Grenadier C44F bodywork. Harrington's graceful lines show up well on a broadside view.
Photo taken June 1968, The Four in Hand, Newcastle-under-Lyme
242. TCK726
By the 1970s E J Deeble & Son of Upton Cross operated a number of services including that between Looe Station and the pretty fishing village of Polperro. Providing perfect train-bus interchange, their TCK726, Leyland Leopard PSU3/3RT with Harrington Cavalier C49F bodywork is seen awaiting its next departure time. Looe Station is situated in East Looe and some of the housing in West Looe can been seen in the background. The twin towns are connected by a bridge across the River Looe. The station has occupied three sites over the years and that pictured here is the second site, since when the line has been shortened still further.
Photo taken mid 1970s, Looe Station
243. 100VRL
100VRL is a 1964 AEC Reliance with Harrington coachwork, built for Hawkey's Coaches of Newquay for use on British and continental tours. It later spent many years with Ridlers of Dulverton and would often be seen in Taunton in the 1970s,
Photo taken Sunday 11 May 2014, Taunton
244. 216UYC
Hutchings & Cornelius, South Petherton A.E.C. 2MU3RA Reliance 216UYC with Harrington Cavalier 315 C41F body new in March 1964 is seen outside the garage.
Photo taken Sunday 19 May 1968, South Petherton
245. 487GFR
Seen at King’s Cross Coach Station, Pentonville Road is Abbott, Blackpool 487GFR a Harrington Grenadier C45F bodied AEC 2U3RA Reliance.
Photo taken Saturday 20 June 1964, Pentonville Road Coach Station, London Kings Cross
246. 487GFR
Preserved former Abbott, Blackpool 487GFR a Harrington Grenadier C45F bodied AEC 2U3RA Reliance, seen at Sheringham on a North Norfolk Railway special event day in March 2010 with owner Nick Webster at the wheel.
Photo taken Friday 12 March 2010, Sheringham
247. 7071DK
Seen at King’s Cross Coach Station, Pentonville Road is Yelloway 7071DK, which had a Harrington Cavalier C45F body with forced ventilation on an AEC 4U3RA Reliance chassis.
Photo taken Sunday 5 July 1964, Pentonville Road Coach Station, London Kings Cross
248. 7074DK
Yelloway 7074DK, an AEC Reliance 4U3RA built in 1964 with Harrington Cavalier C45F bodywork. This coach was withdrawn in 1974 and is seen here at Newcastle-under-Lyme on a run to Southsea.
Photo taken June 1969, Newcastle-under-Lyme
249. 983VRR
Bedlington & District Coaches, Ashington, 983VRR, an A E C Reliance 2U3RA built in 1964 with Harrington Grenadier C51F bodywork.
Photo taken August 1975, Guisborough
250. 995VRR
Smith of Slaithwaite, 995VRR Bedford VAL14 built in 1964 with Harrington Legionnaire C52F bodywork. This had been new as Barton 995 and had an unladen weight of 6tons 7hundredweight and 2quarters.
Photo taken June 1974, Redcar Racecourse
251. 996VRR
Barton 996, 996VRR, seen approaching Mount Street Bus Station in Nottingham was a Harrington Legionnaire I C52F bodied Bedford VAL14.
Photo taken Saturday 27 March 1965, Mount Street/Granby Street, Nottingham
252. 999UDE
Richards Bros., Moylegrove 999UDE was a Commer 1500LB with a Harrington B12C body new to them in January 1964.
Photo taken Saturday 4 July 1970
253. AAD250B
Black & White 250, AAD250B, seen at Victoria Coach Station was an A.E.C. 2MU4RA Reliance with a Harrington Grenadier C41F body.
Photo taken Saturday 5 June 1971, London Victoria Coach Station
254. ABO145B
Ex Western Welsh 145, ABO145B, an AEC Reliance with Harrington C36F body, new in February 1964, caught arriving at the rally site.
Photo taken Sunday 17 July 2005, Alton
255. ABO145B
Preserved ex Western Welsh 145, ABO145B, is an AEC Reliance 2MU3RA with Harrington Grenadier C36F coachwork.
Photo taken Sunday 31 July 2011, Marine Parade, Worthing
256. ACH55B
Trent 55, ACH55B, a 1964 Leyland Leopard L2 with Harrington Grenadier body
Photo taken 1976, Mersey Square, Stockport
257. AFJ77B
King Harry (Falmouth Coaches) AFJ77B ("Harry") is an AEC Reliance with a 7'6" Harrington Cavalier C41F body, bought by Greenslades of Exeter in 1964.
Photo taken Sunday 18 February 2001, Falmouth
258. AFJ86B
Preserved Greenslades Tours of Exeter AFJ86B, a 1964 AEC Reliance 2MU4RA with a hybrid Harrington Cavalier 315 body fitted with a Grenadier front lower panel
Photo taken 1998, Halifax
259. ALD27B
Birch Bros K27, ALD27B, one of five AEC 2MU4RA Reliances new in 1964 with Harrington Grenadier C41F bodies. It is seen here outside the Lancashire United garage at Atherton whilst on an enthusiast weekend visit to Lancashire operators.
Photo taken Sunday 10 September 1967, Atherton
260. APT137B
New to Gardiner, Spennymoor in 1964 APT137B had passed to Foster, Ellesmere Port in 1966. Seen at Wembley Stadium it was a Harrington Crusader IV C41F bodied Ford Thames 570E
Photo taken Saturday 16 May 1970, London Wembley Stadium
261. ARA534B
A quite rare coach in the fleet of Booth & Fisher ltd. of Halfway was this Harrington "Legionaire" C49F bodied Ford 676E new in July 1964, ARA534B.
Photo taken Friday 20 April 1973, Depot, Halfway
262. AWD217B
Astons Coaches (Marton) Ltd AWD217B, a Bedford VAL14 with Harrington Legoinnaire C52F body, new in June 1964.
Photo taken 1964, Marton, Warwickshire
263. AYL459B
Orange Luxury Coaches AYL459B, a Leyland L2T Leopard with Harrington C41F body displays its previous existence in the Grey Green fleet by the livery and the destination display.
Photo taken Saturday 13 March 1971, Wembley Stadium
264. CFM356B
Crosville SCP2, CFM356B a Commer built in 1964 with Harrington B12 bodywork.
Photo taken August 1974, Trans-Pennine Rally, Harrogate Stray
265. CVW928B
Frank Harris of Grays, Essex coaches were always to be seen on the South Coast on both express service work and excursion and private hire duties. One year old CVW928B was at Susans Road Central Coach Station, Eastbourne on 28th July 1965. It is a Bedford VAL14 with Harrington 'Legoinnaire I' C52F coachwork
Photo taken Wednesday 28 July 1965, Susans Road Central Coach Station, Eastbourne
266. EMH824B
Martin of Limerick, EMH824B, a Bedford SB13 built in 1964 with Harrington Crusader C41F bodywork.
Photo taken July 1975, Limerick
267. EMH824B
New to Thomas, West Ewell in April 1964, EMH824B, seen here operating a railway replacement service at Teddington, was a Bedford SB13 with a Harrington Crusader IV C41F body. Withdrawn in December 1971 it had, by 1975, passed to Martin of Limerick as seen in the "More Photos" section Jul1975.
Photo taken October 1964, Teddington Station
268. GMV514B
Crump, Pinner GMV514B was a Harrington Cavalier 315 C41F bodied A.E.C. 2MU4RA Reliance new to him in July 1964 and was seen in Station Road, Chingford on its way to the Cub & Scout Jamboree at Gilwell Park, Epping Forest.
Photo taken Saturday 7 July 1973, Station Road, Chingford
269. J16590
Mascot Motors, St. Helier, 2, J16590, was an A.E.C. 2MU4RA Reliance with a 7' 6" wide Harrington Cavalier C41F body having a Grenadier lower front panel, fitted from new, seen in Gloucester Street, St. Helier.
Photo taken Thursday 26 April 1979, Gloucester Street, St. Helier
270. J16841
Mascot Motors, St. Helier, 8, J16841, was an A.E.C. 2MU4RA Reliance with a 7' 6" wide Harrington Cavalier C41F body fitted, from new, with a Grenadier lower front panel.
Photo taken Sunday 29 April 1979, St. Brelades, Jersey
271. J24276
Waverley Tours, Grouville, J24276, was a Commer 1500LB with a Harrington C12F body new as BUT478B to Mason, Congerstone in September 1964. It was acquired by Waverley in May 1970 and had been withdrawn from P.S.V. use by May 1973.
Photo taken Thursday 24 May 1973
272. J24276
A rear view of J24276 of Waverley Tours, Grouville which was a Commer 1500LB with a Harrington C12F body new as BUT478B to Mason, Congerstone in September 1964. It was acquired by Waverley in May 1970 and had been withdrawn from P.S.V. use by May 1973.
Photo taken Thursday 24 May 1973
273. KCU707
Hall Bros., South Shields KCU707 was one of three Harrington Grenadier C51F bodied Leyland PSU3/3R Leopards new in March 1964. Seen in Doncaster on the site which had previously been Glasgow Paddocks Bus Station.
Photo taken Sunday 30 July 1967, Waterdale, Doncaster
274. KCU708
Hall Bros., South Shields KCU708 was one of three Harrington Grenadier C51F bodied Leyland PSU3/3R Leopards new in March 1964. Seen in Doncaster on the site which had previously been Glasgow Paddocks Bus Station.
Photo taken Sunday 30 July 1967, Waterdale, Doncaster
275. KCU709
A very sad Harrington Grenadier C51F bodied Leyland Leopard, KCU709, new to Hall Bros, South Shields in 1964 taken over by Bartons in 1971. Seen here in the ownership of K S T Coach Hire of Copthorne Surrey who sold it in 1981
Photo taken Gomshall Station yard
276. ACU303C
Seen in Waterdale, Doncaster is Hall Bros., South Shields ACU303C, one of four Harrington Grenadier C51F bodied Leyland PSU3/3R Leopards new in April 1965.
Photo taken Saturday 24 July 1965, Waterdale, Doncaster
277. ACU305C
Brown (t/a Browne's Coaches), Smallfield ACU305C was a Leyland PSU3/3R Leopard with a Harrington Grenadier C51F body which had been new in April 1965 to Hall Bros., South Shields, and which was seen in Brighton on the occasion of the 1974 British Coach Rally, although not a participant.
Photo taken Saturday 20 April 1974, Brighton
278. ACU306C
Barton 1169, ACU306C, a Leyland Leopard PSU3/3R from 1965 with Harrington Grenadier C51F bodywork.
Photo taken August 1972, Redcar Racecourse
279. ACU306C
Hall Bros., South Shields KCU708 and ACU306C were Harrington Grenadier C51F bodied Leyland PSU3/3R Leopards new in March 1964 and April 1965 and are accompanied by a Duple bodied Bedford VAL14. Seen in Doncaster on the site which had previously been Glasgow Paddocks Bus Station.
Photo taken Sunday 30 July 1967, Waterdale, Doncaster
280. BOF854C
About to exit from King’s Cross Coach Station into Caledonia Street is Premier Travel 220, BOF854C, newly acquired from Bowen, Birmingham and still in Bowen’s livery. It was a Harrington Grenadier C51F bodied AEC 2U3RA Reliance.
Photo taken Tuesday 21 March 1972, Caledonia Street Coach Station, London Kings Cross
281. BOF854C
Premier Travel BOF854C at King’s Cross Coach Station, Caledonia Street now carrying fleet number 220 after being painted in full livery. It was a Harrington Grenadier C51F bodied AEC 2U3RA Reliance acquired earlier in the year from Bowen, Birmingham.
Photo taken Sunday 10 September 1972, Caledonia Street Coach Station, London Kings Cross
282. BOF857C
Forest Greyhound Grenadier BOF857C resting after running to Weston-super-Mare, one of 6 Harrington Grenadier bodied AEC Reliances (3 long and 3 shorter like this one) new to Bowen, Birmingham in March 1965, serving until 1971/72. This one passed to Percy Grindle of Cinderford, who traded as Forest Greyhound to distinguish his business (set up in 1927) from that of his father (H.R.Grindle) who had started with horse-drawn carriages. H.R.Grindle was later joined by Percy's brother Roy. BOF857C was in the fleet from March 1972 until August 1974, passing then to Nadder Valley, Tisbury.
Photo taken Summer 1973, Locking Road Coach Park, Weston-super-Mare
283. BOF857C
Nadder Valley Tisbury BOF857C - a rear end and a half for you. By the summer of 1977 BOF857C was now with Nadder Valley and christened 'Southern Grenadier'. It was sandwiched between two Viceroys - the one to the right an ex Whittle one, then with Hills of Tredegar.
Photo taken Summer 1976, Lodmoor Coach Park, Weymouth
284. BOF857C
Eynon, Trimsaran BOF857C a 1965 AEC Reliance 2MU4RA with Harrington C41F body originally with Bowen of Birmingham.
Photo taken Friday 10 July 1981, Trimsaran, Eynon's depot
285. BOF857C
This photo taken at the 11th British Coach Rally in 1965 shows AEC Reliance/Harrington Grenadier C41F BOF857C delivered to L F Bowen of Birmingham the previous month.
Photo taken Sunday 25 April 1965, Madeira Drive, Brighton
286. BUF155C
Southdown 1755, BUF155C, seen in Semley Place, London passing the entrance to Victoria Coach Station, was a Leyland PSU3/3RT Leopard with a shortened Harrington Grenadier body built as C41F. Southdown had the Cavalier lower front panel fitted in place of the normal Grenadier one.
Photo taken Saturday 11 August 1973, Semley Place entrance, London Victoria Coach Station
287. BVO13C
Vagg, Knockin Heath, BVO13C, a Bedford SB5 built in 1965 with Harrington Crusader C41F bodywork.
Photo taken July 1978, Oswestry
288. BVO22C
Runnalls' BVO22C was a Bedford SB5 with a Harrington C41F body and had been new to Barton Transport as their 1022 in August 1965. It is seen parked between trips at Penzance bus station.
Photo taken mid 1970s, Penzance Bus Station
289. BVO7C
Premier Travel BVO7C, AEC Reliance / Harrington C51F, new in July 1965 to Barton.
Photo taken July 1975, Colchester Bus Station
290. CDK448C
Ellen Smith of Rochdale always played second fiddle to Yelloway in their home town although after a period under the Rossendale Transport banner they are now an independent entity. This 1965 Leyland Leopard PSU3/3R, CDK448C, dates from 1965 and carries a Harrington Grenadier body this was akin to the Harrington Cavalier with subtle differences.
Photo taken Sunday 4 August 2013, Trans-Pennine Rally, Harrogate Stray
291. CDK856C
Yelloway, Rochdale CDK856C was one of the last batch of Harrington bodied vehicles bought by Yelloway (CDK853-858C). It was an AEC 4U3RA Reliance with Harrington Cavalier 36 body with fixed windows and forced ventilation new in June 1965 and is seen here at the Yelloway Coach Station in Blackpool.
Photo taken Sunday 16 April 1972, Bloomfield Road parking, Blackpool
292. CDK856C
Yelloway, Rochdale CDK856C was an A.E.C. 4U3RA Reliance with a Harrington Cavalier C45F body, one of six new in June 1965, and is seen approaching the Coach Station in Cheltenham.
Photo taken Saturday 7 August 1971, Cheltenham Coach Station
293. CDK857C
Yelloway CDK857C, an AEC 4U3RA Reliance with Harrington Cavalier C45F body prepares to leave King’s Cross Coach Station, Pentonville Road on the last Yelloway departure before closure of the coach station.
Photo taken Sunday 31 October 1965, Pentonville Road Coach Station, London Kings Cross
294. CDK857C
Yelloway CDK857C seen at King’s Cross Coach Station looking in from the exit gate in Caledonia Street. This was an AEC 4U3RA Reliance with a Harrington Cavalier C45F body.
Photo taken Sunday 17 July 1966, Caledonia Street Coach Station, London Kings Cross
295. CNW154C
Rennison's Tours, Stockton, CNW154C, a Bedford VAL14 built in 1965 with Harrington Legionnaire C44F bodywork. This combination weighed in at 7 tons 1 hundredweight and had been new to Heaps Tours of Leeds.
Photo taken August 1972, William Street Coach Park, Scarborough.
296. CNW155C
Kenzies of Shepreth CNW155C, a Bedford VAL14 with Harrington Legionnaire body, new to Heaps Tours of Leeds in May 1965.
Photo taken Saturday 26 May 2012
297. CUF600C
CUF600C, seen on Madeira Drive at Brighton, was a Bedford SB5 with a Harrington Crusader IV C41F body new in June 1965, and was number 38 in the fleet of Unique, Brighton.
Photo taken Sunday 23 April 1972, Madeira Drive, Brighton
298. CUW559C
CUW559C, an A.E.C. 2MU4RA Reliance of Timpson, London S.E.6, one of four new in March 1965 with Harrington Grenadier C41F bodies, is seen on Ebury Bridge near Victoria Coach Station.
Photo taken Saturday 25 March 1972, Ebury Bridge, London
299. CUW561C
Driver Bill Warwick at the wheel of 'his coach'. Bourne & Balmer, Croydon CUW561C, new in July 1965, was one of two AEC 2MU4RA Reliances with Harrington Grenadier C41F bodies in this fleet, the remainder of the batch of six being with the parent company, Timpsons, Catford.
Photo taken Saturday 11 September 1965, Ribble Garage, Burnley
300. CUW562C
Bourne and Balmer, Croydon CUW562C, an A.E.C. 2MU4RA Reliance with a Harrington Grenadier C41F body seen in Henley on Thames whilst on an Omnibus Touring Circle visit to operators in the area. Although taken over by Timpson, London S.E.6 in 1953 Bourne and Balmer coaches continued to carry their livery of grey with two shades of green used for the trim, including additions to the fleet.
Photo taken Sunday 27 March 1966, Station Road, Henley-on-Thames
301. CUW562C
Bourne & Balmer, Croydon CUW562C, an A.E.C. 2MU4RA Reliance with a Harrington Grenadier C41F body, is seen at the garage of House, Watlington.
Photo taken Sunday 27 March 1966, Watlington
302. CVJ709C
A Harrington Legionnaire C45F bodied Guy Victory, CVJ709C, new in March 1965 to Penn Overland, Hereford is seen here with Kemp, Chillenden at Gilwell Park.
Photo taken Saturday 6 July 1974, Gilwell Park
303. DDG253C
Black & White, Cheltenham 253, DDG253C, seen in Semley Place, Victoria, was a Leyland PSU3/3R Leopard with a Harrington Grenadier C47F body new in April 1965.
Photo taken Monday 31 May 1971, Semley Place, London Victoria
304. DDG255C
Black & White 255, DDG255C, seen at Victoria Coach Station was a Leyland PSU3/3R Leopard with a Harrington Grenadier C47F body.
Photo taken Monday 29 May 1972, London Victoria Coach Station
305. DDG256C
Black & White, Cheltenham 256, DDG256C, was a Leyland PSU3/3R Leopard with a Harrington Grenadier C47F body seen on Madeira Drive at Brighton whilst taking part in the 1965 British Coach Rally.
Photo taken Sunday 25 April 1965, Madeira Drive, Brighton
306. DDG256C
Black & White Motorways 256, DDG256C, a Leyland Leopard PSU3/3R with Harrington C47F body of 1965.
Photo taken 1972/3, Battersea Wharf, London
307. DPM642C
McKenzie, London S.E.27 (t/a Grove Mini Coaches) DPM642C was a Commer 1500LBD with a Harrington C12C body seen in this rear view at Auckland Hill, London S.E.27.
Photo taken Saturday 10 July 1965, Auckland Hill, London
308. EDF390C
Beavis, Bussage EDF390C an AEC Reliance/Harrington Grenadier C51F new to them in July 1965 is parked in Locking Road Coach Park Weston-super-Mare in around 1974. It as sold to Bennett's Gloucester in 6/79, moving on to Blue Anchor (also of Gloucester) 9/80.
Photo taken Summer 1974, Locking Road Coach Park, Weston-super-Mare
309. FAX295C
Jones, Aberbeeg 123, FAX295C, was a Leyland L2T Leopard with a Harrington Grenadier C45F body and is seen at Wembley Stadium.
Photo taken Saturday 22 May 1971, London Wembley Stadium
310. FKL121D
Ebdon, Sidcup FKL121D was the first of fifteen A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliances with Harrington Grenadier 36 C47F bodies delivered in 1965 to Maidstone & District and stored until the spring of 1966 when they were registered and licensed.
Photo taken Sunday 4 February 1979, Butterwick, Hammersmith
311. FKL129D
Ebdon, Sidcup FKL129D was one of fifteen A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliances with Harrington Grenadier 36 C47F bodies delivered to Maidstone & District in 1965 and stored until the spring of 1966 when they were registered and licensed. Initially numbered C66 it was renumbered 4166 in January 1968 and after withdrawal in 1978 passed to Ensign (dealer), Grays in April and then to Ebdon in June 1978.
Photo taken Sunday 4 February 1979, Butterwick, Hammersmith
312. HRO657C
HRO657C of Thamesmead Motor Services, London S.E.9 seen at Victoria Coach Station was a Harrington Legionnaire II C52F bodied Ford 676E, one of three new to Cronshaw, London N.W.9 in May 1965. It had been acquired in June 1972 from Smith, Basingstoke and passed to the Divine Light Mission, London S.E.22 in May 1974.
Photo taken Saturday 29 July 1972, London Victoria Coach Station
313. JNK681C
Capital Coaches, London W.1 had this Harrington Legionnaire II C52F bodied Ford 676E Thames, JNK681C, which was new in April 1965 and it is seen at Storeys Gate in London.
Photo taken Saturday 12 June 1965, London Storeys Gate
314. LPU613C
Harris Coaches LPU613C, an AEC Reliance / Harrington C43F, new in 1965.
Photo taken Sunday 27 April 1975, Harris' Garage, Grays
315. LPU613C
Another picture of Frank Harris Coaches LPU613C, a 1965 AEC Reliance with a Harrington C43F body, taken at the 12th British Coach Rally in April 1966.
Photo taken Sunday 24 April 1966, Madeira Drive, Brighton
316. LVX320C
Seen near their garage in Grays is LVX320C, a Bedford VAL14 with a Harrington Legionnaire II C49F body of Harris, Grays.
Photo taken Sunday 27 April 1975, Grays
317. MMX104C
Venture, Harrow MMX104C was an AEC 2U3RA Reliance with a Harrington Cavalier 36 C45F body fitted with a Grenadier windscreen and roof dome and also a Grenadier lower front panel. It was visiting Epsom Downs for the Derby when photographed.
Photo taken Wednesday 7 June 1972, Epsom Downs
318. MMX104C
Often reported incorrectly as being a Harrington Grenadier 36, the body on A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliance MMX104C of Venture, Harrow, new in June 1965 to Valliant, was a C45F Cavalier 36 with a Grenadier front lower panel and a Grenadier roof dome and windscreen. The Grenadier body had fixed windows with forced ventilation and one less side window than the Cavalier.
Photo taken Wednesday 7 June 1972, Epsom Downs
319. EOD26D
On hire to Royal Blue, and seen in Victoria Coach Station, was Devon General (Grey Cars) EOD26D, an A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliance with a Harrington Grenadier C49F body equipped with top sliding ventilators instead of the normal fixed windows and forced ventilation which was standard on the Grenadier.
Photo taken Saturday 3 July 1971, Victoria Coach Station, London
320. FFJ12D
Greenslades, Exeter, 460, FFJ12D, an A E C Reliance 2MU4RA built in 1966 with Harrington Grenadier C40F bodywork.
Photo taken September 1973, Market Place, Richmond
321. FFJ13D
Numerically the last body built by Harrington was this Grenadier fitted to FFJ13D of Greenslades, Exeter, seen here at Victoria Coach Station on hire to Royal Blue. It was a Grenadier 31' 10" C40F body on an A.E.C. 2MU4RA Reliance chassis and was new in April 1966.
Photo taken Monday 3 April 1972, Victoria Coach Station, London
322. FKL125D
Maidstone & District C62, FKL125D, seen at Hawkhurst was an A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliance with a Harrington Grenadier 36 C47F body.
Photo taken Sunday 18 May 1969, Hawkhurst
323. FKL133D
Seen in Semley Place about to enter Victoria Coach Station is Maidstone & District 4170, FKL133D, an A.E.C. 2U3RA Reliance with a Harrington Grenadier 36 C47F body.
Photo taken Sunday 29 July 1973, Semley Place, London
324. JHV494D
Grey Green JHV494D, a Leyland Leopard PSU3/3R with Harrington Grenadier C45F body, new in January 1966.
Photo taken February 1972, Great Colman Street, Ipswich
325. JHV494D
Grey Green JHV494D, a Leyland Leopard PSU3/3R with Harrington Grenadier C45F body, new in January 1966.
Photo taken 1973, Great Yarmouth Coach Park
326. JHV494D
George Ewer (Grey Green), London N.16 JHV494D was a Leyland PSU3/3RT Leopard with a Harrington Grenadier C45F body fitted with a 'Bristol' dome and a Cavalier windscreen which was seen at Gloucester Green Bus Station in Oxford.
Photo taken Sunday 27 March 1966, Gloucester Green Bus Station, Oxford
327. JHV495D
Seen at Gloucester Green Bus Station in Oxford are Grey Green JHV495D and JHV494D, Leyland PSU3/3R Leopards with Harrington Grenadier C51F bodies fitted with Cavalier windscreens and front domes in order to incorporate the destination displays.
Photo taken Sunday 27 March 1966, Gloucester Green Bus Station, Oxford
328. JHV497D
Grey-Green JHV497D was a Harrington Grenadier C45F bodied Leyland PSU3/3RT Leopard. Although a Grenadier it had the Cavalier windscreen and front dome incorporating the destination displays. There is a shot on the site of JHV494D where the lower panel has also been replaced by that from a Cavalier body.
Photo taken Wednesday 7 June 1972, Epsom Downs
329. JHV498D
Grey-Green JHV498D, seen arriving at Wembley Stadium was a Harrington Grenadier C45F bodied Leyland PSU3/3RT Leopard.
Photo taken Saturday 8 May 1971, London Wembley Stadium