SCT '61 Photo Index
Beadle
Click on any thumbnail for a full size photo
1. TW9347
Len driving 2354, TW9347, giving a mechanic a lift. It was a Leyland PLC1 with Beadle C26D body, new to National Omnibus in June 1927 and passing to Eastern National on its formation in 1930. It was withdrawn in September 1934 and sold the following year.
Photo taken 1920s
2. VW6010
Len Brown in front of Leyland Lion 2609, VW6010, a PLSC3 with Beadle B31R body, new to National in July 1928, passing to Eastern National on its formation in 1930. It had been withdrawn by September 1943, the body sold the following year and the chassis dismantled in 1945.
Photo taken 1920s
3. VW6010
Len Brown with two workmates in front of a Colchester bus, Leyland Lion 2609, VW6010 which was a PLSC3 with Beadle B31R body, new to National in July 1928, passing to Eastern National on its formation in 1930. It had been withdrawn by September 1943, the body sold the following year and the chassis dismantled in 1945.
Photo taken Chelmsford
4. TK1854
TK1854 was one of six Leyland TD1s with Beadle H24/24RO bodies new in January 1929 as Hants & Dorset 66, and renumbered E66 in 1930. It was withdrawn in July 1941 and passed to Southern Vectis No, 712 in August 1946. It was rebodied by Beadle as L26/26R in August 1946 and was sold to Autodrome (Engineers) Ltd., Audenshaw as a staff bus in November 1954. In October 1962 it passed to Bottomley (dealer) for scrap. It is seen here in the East Street coach station operated by L.M.S. Coachways with a Yelloway coach in the background.
Photo taken Saturday 19 October 1957, East Street Coach Station, Manchester
5. TK1854
A second shot of TK1854, a Leyland TD1 with Beadle H24/24RO body new in January 1929 to Hants & Dorset, withdrawn in July 1941 and passed to Southern Vectis No. 712 in August 1946. It was rebodied by Beadle as L26/26R in August 1946 and was sold to Autodrome as a staff bus in November 1954. In October 1962 it passed to Bottomley (dealer) for scrap. It is seen here in the East Street coach station operated by L.M.S. Coachways.
Photo taken Sunday 27 April 1958, East Street Coach Station, Manchester
6. TK1854
A third shot of TK1854, a Leyland TD1 with Beadle H24/24RO body new in January 1929 to Hants & Dorset, withdrawn in July 1941 and passed to Southern Vectis No. 712 in August 1946. It was rebodied by Beadle as L26/26R in August 1946 and was sold to Autodrome as a staff bus in November 1954.
Photo taken Saturday 25 October 1958, East Street Coach Station, Manchester
7. GW6298
Lincolnshire 1909, GW6298, was a 1932 AEC Regent new to Tilling and was rebodied with a Beadle H30/26R body in 1944. It was acquired by Lincolnshire in October 1952 and is seen here at Skegness. It was scrapped a few months later in December 1955.
Photo taken Tuesday 16 August 1955, Skegness Bus Station
8. JN3229
JN3229, a 1933 AEC Regent originally similar to JN4747, but seen here in Fairfax Drive yard on 16th July 1955 after being rebuilt in the late 1940s by Beadle. Although nominally rebuilds, these bodies differed so much from the original that they were probably virtually new bodies. By this time the bus would have been in green livery and carries its Eastern National fleet number 1163.
Photo taken Saturday 16 July 1955, Fairfax Drive Depot, Southend
9. JN3229
Westcliff tow truck MV842 was a familiar sight in Southend throughout the 1950s. It had originally been a demonstrator with a Brush H20/26R body, new in 1931 and acquired by Westcliff in 1932/3. It is seen her rescuing Beadle bodied Regent JN3229 at the Wilson Road terminus of route 9 in about 1951/2.
Photo taken 1951/2, Wilson Road, Southend
10. AUF666
Southdown 966 and 968, AUF666 and AUF668, were Leyland TD3 Titans new in 1934 with Short H26/24R bodies. Both were rebodied after the war - 966 with a Beadle H28/26R in 1949 and 968 with an East Lancs H28/24R in 1947. These were from a batch 964-975 which were the first oil-engined vehicles in the fleet.
Photo taken Sunday 15 June 1958, rear of Hyde Park Road Garage, Portsmouth
11. GP6235
Brighton Hove and District 6235, GP6235, a 1935 AEC Regent originally fitted with Tilling open staircase bodywork, but seen here with a 1944 fitted Beadle H30/26R body which it carried until withdrawal in 1954.
Photo taken 1950, North Street, Brighton
12. NJ3301
Brighton Hove and District 6301, NJ3301, a 1935 AEC Regent with a Tilling body which was rebuilt by Beadle in 1946. Hanningtons is the famous Brighton department store whose storage and removals offices are seen in front.
Photo taken 1950, North Street, Brighton
13. DUF153
Southdown 153, DUF153, was a Leyland TD4 new in 1937 with a Park Royal H28/24R body seen on South Parade, Southsea. It had been rebodied in 1948 with a Beadle H28/26R body.
Photo taken Sunday 15 June 1958, South Parade, Southsea
14. EUF185
Southdown 185L, EUF185, a 1937 Leyland Titan TD5 with Beadle 52 seat lowbridge bodywork is seen at Pool Valley, Brighton about to operate a journey on service 23. According to Ken's original 1950 Ian Allan ABC on Southdown, the service ran to Crawley, but the bus is set up for a short working to Haywards Heath.
Photo taken 1950's, Pool Valley Bus Station, Brighton
15. BOW169
Hants & Dorset BOW169, a late prewar Bristol L5G which had been converted into an ancilliary vehicle.
Photo taken Sunday 27 June 1976, Cardiff Rally
16. EUF196
New as Southdown 196 in 1938, EUF196, a Leyland TD5 with Beadle L26/26R body had passed to Hutfield, Gosport in March 1956, who fitted platform doors, to T.P.E. (dlr), Macclesfield in 1966 and to 11th Southgate Scout Group in August 1966.
Photo taken Saturday 5 July 1969, Gilwell Park
17. GFN273
East Kent GFN273 was built as a double deck Leyland TD5 in 1938 and was rebodied by Beadle in 1952. It was withdrawn in 1967 and passed into preservation in 1972.
Photo taken Saturday 1 April 2017, Kent Showground Detling
18. DOD518
Western National 333, DOD518, is a 1939 Bristol L5G with 1949 Beadle body, now owned by the 333 Bus Group.
Photo taken Saturday 20 June 1987, Highnam, near Gloucester
19. GCD47
Former Southdown 247, GCD47, a 1939 Leyland Titan TD5 with Beadle bodywork from 1949 seen at Cowleys, Salford in 1959. The destination display suggests it has been or is going to a subsequent operator. Note the Southdown radiator badge instead of the traditional Leyland one.
Photo taken Thursday 7 May 1959, outside Cowleys, Salford
20. NCD99
Former Southdown 899, NCD99, a Leyland TS8 of 1939, rebodied by Beadle in 1954. It was sold in 1963 to Blue Boar Service Stations for transport of catering staff to their motorway restaurants.
Photo taken 1964, Blue Boar Services, M1
21. HKL819
New in 1946 as Maidstone & District SO9 with a Beadle B36F body, HKL819 was converted to OB35F in May 1958 and renumbered OR1. It was renumbered again in January 1968 to 8001 and was withdrawn in 1970 and entered preservation in 1978 after sale in April 1971 to a dealer. It is seen here leaving Sevenoaks Bus Station on the occasion of a London Transport Country Area Running Day.
Photo taken Sunday 18 May 2014, Sevenoaks Bus Station
22. HKL819
HKL819 was new in 1946 as Maidstone & District SO9 with a Beadle B36F body and was converted to OB35F in May 1958 when it was renumbered OR1. It was renumbered again in January 1968 to 8001 and was withdrawn in 1970 and entered preservation in 1978 after sale in April 1971 to a dealer. The rear view is seen here in Sevenoaks Bus Station on the occasion of a London Transport Country Area Running Day.
Photo taken Sunday 18 May 2014, Sevenoaks Bus Station
23. HKL826
Maidstone & District OR2, HKL826, formerly SO16, a 1946 AEC Regal with Beadle body converted in 1957 to OB35F, along with two other similar buses, used from 1958 until the mid-1970s in Hastings and known as Emily. After a spell with Guide Friday in various places and then private ownership, it was acquired by NEBPT in 2007.
Photo taken Monday 30 August 2010, Seaburn Show Field, Sunderland
24. HKL826
New to Maidstone and District in 1946, this AEC Regal carries a Beadle body; it was delivered as SO16, HKL826. In 1957 it was converted to open top form, renumbered as OR2 and ran on the Hastings town tour.
Photo taken 1995, Piccadilly, York
25. HKL826
The NEBPG Durham rally on 18 June took place in the middle of a heat wave. One of the more appropriate buses attending was this former Maidstone & District AEC Regal of 1946 with Beadle 36 seat bodywork SO16, HKL826.
Photo taken Sunday 18 June 2017, Howlands Park and Ride, Durham
26. HKL836
Maidstone & District 8003, HKL836, and 8001, HKL819, 1946 AEC Regals with Beadle body, converted to OB35F. The cost of the round the town tours appears as 2/6d by this time.
Photo taken Wednesday 22 July 1970, Hastings Depot
27. LEV920
Eastern National 1111, LEV920, a Leyland PD1/1 with Beadle L52R body, new to City Coach Co in 1946, then to Westcliff, then to ENOC. LEV920 was later converted to open-top.
Photo taken Leigh Beck Garage, Canvey Island
28. LEV920
On the duty which fell to most open toppers each year, Eastern National 1111, LEV920, with Beadle body, waits outside the Great Eastern Hotel in Liverpool Street to pick up a party for the 1962 Derby.
Photo taken 1962, Liverpool Strret, London
29. FNG818
Eastern Counties D999, FNG818, new in 1947 was a Beadle-Dennis integral with a Beadle B33R body seen at Bishop's Road Bus Station, Peterborough. It had a Gardner 4LK engine and Dennis units from United Counties 504 (VV7278) and was withdrawn later in 1959.
Photo taken Saturday 24 January 1959, Bishop's Road Bus Station, Peterborough
30. GNY911
Pontypridd single decker 47, GNY911, a Bristol L5G with Beadle B32R body new in 1947.
Photo taken Morgan Street, Pontypridd
31. GNY915
Pontypridd 51, GNY915, a Beadle B32R bodied Bristol L6G, dated from 1947 was in use as the towing vehicle when photographed. It was reinstated to normal service work in 1972 and withdrawn in 1973.
Photo taken Sunday 7 September 1969, Pontypridd Depot
32. GNY915
Pontypridd 50 and 49, GNY914/913, were Bristol L5G's, and were soon to be withdrawn, but 51, GNY915, had an L6G engine and lasted until 1972. All had Beadle B32R bodies dating from 1947.
Photo taken 1967, Pontypridd Depot
33. GRU857
GRU857 was Hants & Dorset 648, a 1947 Bristol L6G with Beadle coach body. It was converted for bus use (when the large bus-type destination indicator was fitted) in 1953 and was scrapped in 1959.
Photo taken August 1956, near Swanage Pier
34. HFM34
Blue Bus, Slough HFM34 was one of two Beadle B28F bodied Bedford OBs which Blue Bus acquired from Crosville in 1954. Dating from 1947 this one had been Crosville S8 and when seen at Ascot had been fitted with a Perkins engine.
Photo taken Saturday 21 June 1958, Ascot
35. LEV919
Eastern National SD1110, LEV919, a Leyland Titan PD1/1 with Beadle O33/26R body. Originally City Coach LD3, it passed to Westcliff-on-Sea in 1952 and then to Eastern National before conversion to open top in 1959. Later renumbered 2100.
Photo taken Saturday 16 May 1964, Western Esplanade, Southend
36. LEV919
Eastern National 1110, LEV919, a Leyland Titan PD1/1 with Beadle O33/26R body. Originally City Coach LD3, it passed to Westcliff-on-Sea in 1952 and then to Eastern National before conversion to open top in 1959.
Photo taken Saturday 29 August 1959, Kursaal, Southend
37. LEV920
In 1947 City Coach acquired their first double deckers, a batch of four Leyland PD1/1s. Two, as LD4, LEV920, seen here in Romford Market Square on the way to Southend, had lowbridge Beadle bodies.
Photo taken 1940s/early 1950s, Romford Market Square
38. LPU616
Eastern National 3925/187, LPU616, one of a batch of six Bedford OBs with Beadle B30F bodies, new in 1947. It was withdrawn in 1958.
Photo taken outside Prittlewell Garage, Southend
39. LPU616
New in 1947 as Eastern National 3926, LPU616 was the second of a batch of six Bedford OBs with Beadle B30F bodies. It was renumbered to 187 in July 1954 and, after withdrawal, passed to A.M.C.C. Limited (dlr), London E15 in 11/59 and to the yard at Southend in 3/60. It is seen here in Ingrave Road, Brentwood.
Photo taken Saturday 14 February 1959, Ingrave Road, Brentwood
40. EMW183
Wilts & Dorset 274, EMW183, a Bristol L6B with Beadle C32R body.
Photo taken c.1960, parking ground behind Basingstoke Bus Station
41. HOD100
Southern National (Royal Blue) 1237, HOD100, seen on the spare ground at the top end of Victoria Coach Station was a Bristol L6A with a Beadle C31F body new in 1948.
Photo taken Saturday 28 June 1958, Victoria Coach Station
42. HOD28
Former Royal Blue 1226, HOD28, a Bristol L6A with Beadle C31F body, new in 1948 and withdrawn in 1960.
Photo taken Sunday 6 October 1974, WETC, Winkleigh, Devon
43. HOD30
Royal Blue 1228, HOD30, a 1948 Bristol L6A with Beadle coachwork.
Photo taken Sunday 14 October 2007, Bolton Abbey Station
44. HOD30
Two preserved Royal Blue Bristol Ls, 1228, HOD30, and 1250, LTA729.
Photo taken Sunday 10 August 2008, Brislington
45. HOD30
Royal Blue were the owners of this AEC engined Bristol L6A carrying attractive but uncommon Beadle bodywork. New to Royal Blue as their 1228, HOD30, in 1948; the bus has been in preservation for over 30 years, far longer than it spent in revenue earning service!
Photo taken Sunday 9 October 2011, Jerry Croft, Skipton
46. HOD30
Former Royal Blue 1228, HOD30, a Bristol L6A with Beadle C31F body, new in 1948. Withdrawn in 1960 it passed, along with HOD28, to a china clay works for staff transport with whom it survived until 1968.
Photo taken early 1974, WETC, Winkleigh, Devon
47. HOD30
The Shipley-based Yesteryear Coaches fleet includes former Royal Blue 1228, HOD30, a Bristol L6A with an unusual Beadle C31F body dating from 1948.
Photo taken Saturday 24 June 2017, Bradley, Skipton
48. HUF320
Southdown 1320, HUF320, was a Leyland PS1 with a Beadle body seen in Ebury Bridge Road.
Photo taken Saturday 28 June 1958, Ebury Bridge Road, near London Victoria Coach Station
49. JKM439
Seen on the spare ground at the top end of Victoria Coach Station is Maidstone & District CO39, JKM439, an A.E.C. O662 Regal new in 1948 with a Beadle C32F body.
Photo taken Saturday 28 June 1958, Victoria Coach Station
50. JKM444
Seen at Victoria Coach Station is Maidstone & District CO44, JKM444, an A.E.C. O662 Regal with a Beadle C32F body, one of sixteen new in 1948.
Photo taken Wednesday 3 June 1959, London Victoria Coach Station
51. NVX308
Eastern National 1128, NVX308, a Leyland Titan PD1A with Beadle O33/26R body, new to City Coach in 1948.
Photo taken Saturday 29 August 1959, Kursaal, Southend
52. NVX310
City Coach's first four double deckers were later supplemented by PD1As with Beadle and Roberts bodies and Daimlers with Roberts bodies. Here, after takeover by Westcliff, the former LD13, NVX310, with Beadle body, heads into Southend along London Road.
Photo taken 1950s, London Road, Southend
53. NVX527
Eastern National BD165, NVX527, a Beadle/Bedford semi-chassisless new in 1948
Photo taken c. 1960, Brentwood Depot
54. EMW184
Wilts & Dorset 275, EMW184, dating from 1949 was a Bristol L6B with a Beadle C32R body seen at Ascot. It had been rebuilt in March 1957 with top sliding windows replacing the full-drop ones fitted originally.
Photo taken Saturday 21 June 1958, Ascot
55. EMW284
Wilts & Dorset 279, EMW284, a Bristol L6B with Beadle C32R body, new in March 1949. It was registered as YSV 610 from 1986-91, now preserved by Lionel Tancock as part of the BVBG collection, seen here freshly repainted.
Photo taken Saturday 30 June 2012, Torquay
56. EMW284
A second shot of Wilts & Dorset 279, EMW284, a Bristol L6B with Beadle C32R body, new in March 1949.
Photo taken Saturday 30 June 2012, Exeter
57. EMW284
Rear view of preserved Wilts & Dorset 279, EMW284, a Bristol L6B with Beadle C32R body, new in March 1949.
Photo taken Sunday 11 August 2013, Pensford
58. EMW284
Former Wilts&District 279, EMW284, spotted on the Thames Valley and GWR Trust three day run to the West Country north of Bracknell having passed the White Bus Company depot a mile or so back.
Photo taken Friday 19 June 2015, Bracknell
59. HOD31
Western National 1229, HOD31, a Bristol L6A with a Beadle C31F body new in 1949 and part of the Royal Blue fleet.
Photo taken Saturday 28 June 1958, The Wharf, Newbury
60. HPW814
Eastern Counties CB829, HPW814, was a Beadle-Bedford with a Beadle B35R body new in 1949. The original Bedford petrol engine was replaced by a Gardner 4LK in 1950 and the bus was withdrawn in 1961 after which it became Eastern Counties staff bus X51 before passing to Ben Jordan (dealer), Coltishall in 1965.
Photo taken Saturday 24 January 1959, Bishop's Road Bus Station, Peterborough
61. HUF290
Beadle bodied Leyland PS1, HUF290, seen here with McLennan, Spitalfield had been new as Southdown 1290 in 1949 as C32R. Along with the rest of the batch (1290-1298) it was rebuilt by Beadle in 1954/5 to FC32R. Acquired from Rennie, Cairneyhill in June 1963 and rebuilt to FC35F by McLennan it was withdrawn in 1968.
Photo taken Wednesday 28 July 1965, Spittalfield
62. JEL278
I took this snapshot in the fifties at (I think) the Southampton depot of this lovely Bedford operated by Hants and Dorset, 983, JEL278, a Bedford OB with Beadle B20F body that was new in 1949. It was withdrawn in 1957.
Photo taken 1950s, Grosvenor Square Depot, Southampton
63. JEL580
Hants & Dorset 567, JEL580, a Bedford OB with Beadle B20F body was new in 1949, the body being rebuilt to B28F in 1952. Withdrawn in August 1957 it was used until December 1958 as the crew room during the reconstruction of Bournemouth Bus Station.
Photo taken Saturday 6 September 1958, Bournemouth Bus Station
64. JRU62
The first of two Hants & Dorset Beadle/Morris Commercial B35R buses JRU62, numbered 777, was seen in Winchester. It was new in 1949 and withdrawn in November 1962.
Photo taken Tuesday 9 February 1960, Winchester Bus Station
65. JRU63
Beadle/Morris Commercial 778, JRU63, was the second of two such vehicles new to Hants & Dorset in 1949. The integral vehicle had a B35R body and was caught in Winchester.
Photo taken Tuesday 9 February 1960, Winchester Bus Station
66. NVX308
Eastern National SD2108, NVX308, Leyland Titan PD1A with Beadle O33/26R body, new to City Coach in 1948.
Photo taken Sunday 18 July 1965, Shoebury Common, Southend
67. NVX309
Eastern National 1129, NVX309, a Leyland PD1A with Beadle body, new to City Coach in 1949 as their LD12. Later renumbered 2109.
Photo taken Friday 29 August 1958, Kursaal, Southend
68. NVX309
Eastern National 1129, NVX309, a Leyland PD1A with Beadle body, new to City Coach in 1949 as their LD12. Later renumbered 2109.
Photo taken Saturday 29 August 1959, Kursaal, Southend
69. NVX310
Seen in Clacton on the service to Jaywick Sands, Eastern National 1130, NVX310, was a Leyland PD1A which had been new in 1949 as City, Brentwood LD13 with a Beadle L26/26R body. It passed to Westcliff and then to Eastern National who rebuilt it to O33/26R in December 1958.
Photo taken Tuesday 1 September 1959, Clacton
70. NVX311
Eastern National 2111, NVX311, a Leyland PD1 with a Beadle L26/26R body was new in 1949 as City Coach Company LD14, acquired by Westcliff/Eastern National in 1952 and renumbered 1131 in 1954. It was rebuilt to PO33/26R in 1958 and again renumbered to 2111 in August 1964.
Photo taken Sunday 13 September 1964, Western Esplanade, Southend
71. NVX311
Eastern National 1131, NVX311, a Leyland PD1 with a Beadle L26/26R body was new in 1949 as City Coach Company LD14, acquired by Westcliff/Eastern National in 1952 and renumbered 1131 in 1954. It was rebuilt to PO33/26R in 1958 and again renumbered to 2111 in August 1964.
Photo taken Saturday 29 August 1959, Kursaal, Southend
72. NVX313
Eastern National 1132, NVX313, was a Leyland PD1A with a Beadle L27/26R body which had been new in February 1949 as City Coach Company, Brentwood LD16 and which passed to Westcliff-on-Sea in February 1952 retaining the fleet number LD16 before being renumbered 1132 in July 1954, and passing to Eastern National in January 1955.
Photo taken Saturday 14 February 1959, Chelmsford Bus Station
73. NVX530
NVX530 was a Beadle-Bedford new in 1949 as Eastern National 4016. It had a Beadle B35R body and was fitted with a Gardner 4LK engine in 1951 or 1952.
Photo taken Saturday 14 February 1959, Fairfield Road, Chelmsford
74. DCN91
Northern General 1491, DCN91, one of ten Beadle-AEC rebuilds, with Beadle C35F body in Manchester (L.M.S.) Bus Station on a short working of the service from Newcastle to Liverpool in May 1959
Photo taken Saturday 16 May 1959, Lower Mosley Street Bus Station, Manchester
75. HFH702
HFH702 was a Beadle-Bedford chassisless with B35R body, new in November 1950.
Photo taken early 1960s, Falmouth
76. FFN446
Preserved East Kent FFN446, a Beadle of Dartford 'chassisless' 35 seater coach built in 1951 using components from 1938 Leyland TD5 double decker(s).
Photo taken Saturday 16 February 2008, Hawkhurst
77. FFN446
A slightly more modern vehicle on the service at the South East Bus Festival at Detling was East Kent coach FFN446, a Beadle 'chassisless' coach built in 1951 using components from 1938 Leyland TD5 double decker(s).
Photo taken Saturday 28 March 2015, South East Bus Festival at Detling
78. HAW302
Brown, Donnington Wood HAW302 was the first of Brown's Sentinels and was an SLC4 model with a Beadle C35C body new in May 1951. It was converted firstly to DP35D in 1968 and then to DP41F in 1969 and is seen in Donnington.
Photo taken early 1971, Wellington Road, Donnington
79. HAW303
HAW303, a Sentinel SLC4/35 with a Beadle C35C body, seen at Donnington Wood was new to Brown, Donnington Wood in May 1951.
Photo taken Friday 6 August 1971, Donnington Wood
80. HAW303
A nearside shot at Donnington Wood of HAW303, a Sentinel SLC4/35 with a Beadle C35C body which was new to Brown, Donnington Wood in May 1951.
Photo taken Friday 6 August 1971, Donnington Wood
81. HAW373
Climbing New Bank as it leaves Halifax heading for Harrogate on the Trans-Pennine Rally is peserved Brown, Donnington Wood HAW373, a Sentinel SLC4 with a Beadle DP41F body.
Photo taken Sunday 6 August 1972, New Bank, Halifax
82. HAW374
Seen at Donnington Wood is HAW374, which was a Sentinel SLC4/35 new in May 1951 to Brown, Donnington Wood with a Beadle DP37C body. It was withdrawn in November 1969 and, after some parts had been used for spares, was scrapped in June 1972.
Photo taken Friday 6 August 1971, Donnington Wood
83. HAW374
A nearside view, at Donnington Wood, of HAW374, which was a Sentinel SLC4/35 new in May 1951 to Brown, Donnington Wood with a Beadle DP37C body.
Photo taken Friday 6 August 1971, Donnington Wood
84. HNT101
Brown, Donnington Wood HNT101 was a Sentinel STC4 with a Beadle C35C body new in 1951 as a Sentinel demonstrator and acquired by Brown in April 1953. It was altered to DP37C and then, in 1969, to DP41F and is seen in Donnington.
Photo taken early 1971, Wellington Road, Donnington
85. HNT101
Brown, Donnington Wood HNT101, a Sentinel SLC4/35 was new in August 1951 with a Beadle C35C body as a demonstrator for Sentinel, Shrewsbury.
Photo taken Friday 6 August 1971, Donnington Wood
86. HNT49
Browns of Donnington Wood, Shropshire, HNT49, a Sentinel SLC4 with Beadle body converted from a centre-entrance coach to a front-entrance bus by the operator.
Photo taken Saturday 1 June 1968, Donnington Wood
87. NKT956
Dating from 1952, Maidstone & District SO97, NKT956 seen in Sutherland Street, near Victoria Coach Station was a Beadle-A.E.C. with a DP39F body. Rebuilt using the units from DH296, DKT30, an A.E.C. O661 Regent new in 1937, it had been CO228 initially as C35F and was renumbered and reseated in January 1955 when downgraded to bus work.
Photo taken Saturday 28 June 1958, Sutherland Street, near London Victoria Coach Station
88. GFN271
East Kent GFN271, seen at Ascot, was a Beadle-Leyland dating from 1952. The semi-chassisless C35F vehicle used parts from a 1938/9 Leyland TD5.
Photo taken Saturday 21 June 1958, Ascot
89. GFN279
East Kent GFN279, one of the twenty five 1952 Beadle-Leyland rebuilds with C35F body alongside 1957 AEC Reliance NFN335 with Beadle DP41F body at Victoria Coach Station.
Photo taken Saturday 10 September 1960, London Victoria Coach Station
90. LCD852
Southdown 852, LCD852, was one of twenty Leyland/Beadle rebuilds new in 1952 with Beadle C35C bodies which is seen on South Parade, Southsea. They were rebuilt from Leyland TS8s dating from 1938.
Photo taken Sunday 15 June 1958, South Parade, Southsea
91. OKP980
Maidstone & District CO252, OKP980, a 1952 Beadle-Leyland rebuilt using parts from prewar Leyland chassis. This vehicle is now preserved by Thornes of Bubwith
Photo taken Sunday 5 August 2007, Harrogate Rally
92. OKP983
Maidstone & District CO255, OKP983, was a Beadle-Leyland with a Beadle C35F body seen at Victoria Coach Station. It was one of nineteen new in 1952.
Photo taken Wednesday 3 June 1959, London Victoria Coach Station
93. DCN90
Northern General 1490, DCN90, was one of ten A.E.C.-Beadle rebuilds new in 1953. The chassis components came from earlier vehicles and the Beadle bodies were C35F.
Photo taken Saturday 1 August 1959, Bishop Auckland Market Place
94. MUF488
Preserved ex-Southdown 649, MUF488, a 31 seat Leyland Tiger TS8/Beadle integral built in 1953 using running units from a pre-war single decker.
Photo taken Sunday 18 July 2004, Watercress Line Rally, Alton
95. MUF488
Preserved ex-Southdown 649, MUF488, a 31 seat Leyland Tiger TS8/Beadle integral built in 1953 using running units from a pre-war single decker.
Photo taken Sunday 17 July 2005, Alton
96. MUF488
Rear view of ex-Southdown 649, MUF488.
Photo taken Sunday 17 July 2005, Alton
97. MUF488
Southdown like several of its nearby BET fellows had a number of these Beadle rebuilds, in this case with Leyland units. MUF488 (649) entered service in 1953 as a 31 seater.
Photo taken Sunday 31 July 2005, Marine Parade, Worthing
98. MUF491
Southdown 891, MUF491, was one of eight Leyland/Beadle rebuilds in 1953. It had a Beadle C26F body and had been reconstructed using a 1938 Leyland TS8 chassis. It is seen on South Parade, Southsea.
Photo taken Sunday 15 June 1958, South Parade, Southsea
99. SKE997
Scout, Hastings CO301, SKE997, a Beadle-Leyland rebuild from 1953 with a Beadle C26F body is seen on the spare ground at the top end of Victoria Coach Station, parked facing Semley Place with the chimney on the end of the overseas departures building prominent in the background.
Photo taken Wednesday 9 August 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
100. FT7792
Wakefield Motor's 192, FT7792 (with 191, FT7791 on the left) were two AEC Beadle rebuilds with Beadle FC39F bodies of 1954. Unusually, these were not allocated Northern General chassis numbers and their former identities were unknown. Both were sold to Garners of Bridge of Weir in 1962, and withdrawn in 1965.
Photo taken 1960, Whitby
101. NCD98
Southdown 898, NCD98, was a Beadle C26F bodied rebuild of a Leyland TS8 in 1954 and was seen at Ascot.
Photo taken Saturday 19 July 1958, Ascot
102. OUF130
Southdown 1601, LUF601, a Leyland Royal Tiger PSU1/15 with Duple C41C body, new in 1952 and alongside 1030, OUF130, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 with a Beadle C41C body, new in 1954.
Photo taken Tuesday 11 August 1964, London Victoria Coach Station
103. PGC970
A. Timpson & Sons Ltd. of Rushey Green Catford, London SE6, PGC970, a Beadle-Commer TS3 with Beadle C41F body new in November 1954.
Photo taken Bromley Road, Downham, Bromley, Kent
104. SKE997
Scout, Hastings CO301, SKE997, was one of three Beadle C26F bodied rebuilds of 1936 Leylands new in 1954 and was seen at Ascot.
Photo taken Saturday 19 July 1958, Ascot
105. SKE998
Scout, Hastings CO302, SKE998, seen at Epsom racecourse was one of three Beadle-Leyland rebuilds new in 1954. CO301/2 were in Scout livery whilst CO303 was in standard Maidstone & District livery, They were reconstructions using units from SO540/2/1, (DKL 587/9/8 - 1936 Leyland TS7s) respectively and had Beadle C26F bodies.
Photo taken Saturday 2 August 1958, Epsom Racecourse
106. OUF111
Wimpey OUF111, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 built in 1955 with Beadle C37C bodywork.
Photo taken August 1969, Hemlington, Middlesbrough
107. OUF133
Southdown 1033, OUF133, was a Beadle C41C bodied Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub seen near Victoria Coach Station.
Photo taken Saturday 28 June 1958, Avery Farm Row, near London Victoria Coach Station
108. OUF134
Southdown 1034, OUF134, was a Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub with a Beadle C41C body new in July 1955.
Photo taken Saturday 18 April 1959, London Victoria Coach Station
109. PUP625
Charlton's Services 33 PUP625, a Commer-Beadle TS3 from 1955 with Beadle bodywork.
Photo taken April 1972, Acomb, near Hexham
110. PUP625
M Charlton & Sons, Newbrough, 33 PUP625, a Commer-Beadle TS3 built in 1955 with Beadle B44F bodywork. New as Northern General 1625.
Photo taken early 1960s?, Priestpopple, Hexham
111. PYK61
Birch Brothers K61, PYK61, was a Beadle C41F bodied Beadle-Commer TS3 new in 1955 seen at Ascot.
Photo taken Saturday 19 July 1958, Ascot
112. WKM362
WKM362 was numbered CO362 in the Maidstone & District fleet, being a Beadle-AEC rebuild with C37C body dating from 1955 and is seen at Victoria Coach Station.
Photo taken Monday 22 May 1961, London Victoria Coach Station
113. 717AEH
Potteries C7717, 717AEH, was a Beadle C41F bodied Beadle-Commer TS3 new in 1956 and is seen at Ascot.
Photo taken Saturday 19 July 1958, Ascot
114. RUF151
Southdown 1051, RUF51, a Beadle C41C bodied Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub new in 1956.
Photo taken Saturday 21 June 1958, Ascot
115. RUF178
Southdown 778, RUF178, was a Leyland PD2/12 with a Beadle H31/28RD body new in 1956 which is seen in Pool Valley at Brighton.
Photo taken Saturday 31 January 1959, Pool Valley Bus Station, Brighton
116. RUF184
Southdown 784, RUF184, a Leyland PD2/12 with Beadle H59RD body from 1956 with behind, two Guy Arabs with Park Royal H59R bodies, 524, PUF624, and 548, PUF648, also new in 1956
Photo taken Sunday 14 March 1965, Pool Valley Bus Station, Brighton
117. RUF186
Preserved Southdown 186, RUF186, a Leyland PD2/Beadle H59RD, one of a batch of 12 new in 1956
Photo taken Sunday 3 April 2005, Wisley Aerodrome
118. RUF186
Another preserved Southdown Leyland Titan, 186, RUF186, on route 12 on 24 September 2005 to mark the last day of the Stagecoach share of the service.
Photo taken Saturday 24 September 2005, Newhaven Town Station
119. RUF186
At the Southdown Centenary Rally, a later Southdown Leyland, 1956 PD2 RUF186, stands in the bus station at The Hard.
Photo taken Sunday 7 June 2015, Southdown Centenary Rally, The Hard, Portsmouth
120. RYO477
Bird's Coaches of St Pauls Cray RYO477, a Beadle-Commer TS3 integral new to Timpsons in 1956. Seen at Victoria Coach Station in London on hire to Maidstone & District and about to operate a duplicate to Leysdown Holiday Camp on Sheppey. R W Bird continued operations until December 1974.
Photo taken Saturday 27 August 1966, London Victoria Coach Station
121. RYO478
Timpson, London S.E.6 ran a number of Beadle-Commer integrals and RYO478 with a C41F body was one of six new in 1956. It passed to Bird, St. Pauls Cray in January 1966.
Photo taken Wash Lane Coach Station, Clacton
122. TCD12
Southdown 12,TCD12, a Beadle/Commer TS3 Integral new in 1956
Photo taken c. 1956, London Victoria Coach Station
123. TGJ490
A Timpson & Sons TGJ490, a Beadle-Commer TS3 with Beadle C41F body new in 1956. I believe this body was called the Rochester.
Photo taken rear of Depot, 175 Rushey Green, Catford (Plassy Road)
124. WKM363
Maidstone and District CO363, WKM363, a semi-chassisless AEC Regal III with Beadle C37C body built in 1956, based on a 1948-9 vintage AEC Regal.
Photo taken c. 1956, London Victoria Coach Station
125. 718AEH
Potteries MT C7718, 718AEH, a Beadle-Commer TS3 built in 1957 with Beadle C41F bodywork.
Photo taken March 1968, Newcastle-under-Lyme Garage
126. CHD369
Operating a short working on the Newcastle to Liverpool service and seen in Wellington Street Coach Station, Leeds is Yorkshire Woollen District 784, CHD369, one of twelve C41F Beadle Rochesters with Commer running units new in 1957.
Photo taken Friday 4 April 1958, Wellington Street Coach Station, Leeds
127. CHD370
CHD370 was a 1957 Beadle-Commer seating C41F and still in the livery of its previous owner, Yorkshire Woollen District (Number 423), when photographed here with G.C. Bickers of Coddenham, Suffolk.
Photo taken Monday 29 March 1971, Depot, Coddenham
128. KPR687
Ironside, Toop & Davis (t/a Bere Regis & District), Dorchester KPR687 was a Beadle Rochester with a C41C body.
Photo taken Sunday 15 February 1959, Waterloo Coach Park, London
129. KPR688
Bere Regis, Dorchester KPR688 and KPR517, a pair of Beadle-Commer TS3 integrals new in 1957 seen at Ascot. Alongside is Harrington bodied Crossley SD42/7 AGL227 of James, High Littleton (Roman City) dating from 1949.
Photo taken Saturday 21 June 1958, Ascot
130. MJG292
East Kent MJG292, an AEC MU3RV Reliance with a Beadle C37F body, seen in Sutherland Street near Victoria Coach Station whilst operating a Skyways contract service was new in 1957.
Photo taken Saturday 28 June 1958, Ebury Bridge, near London Victoria Coach Station
131. MJG297
A good general shot of the station with an East Kent coach in the foreground, looks like MJG297, an AEC Reliance with Beadle body new in 1957, and some Thames Valley K types in the distance
Photo taken c. 1957, London Victoria Coach Station
132. MJG43
East Kent MJG43 and MJG44, AEC Reliance MU3RU new in 1957 with Beadle C32C bodies, modified to C41C in 1970. Two for the price of one ! in the later maroon grey livery. The Bedford on the left of the picture is 639MUR.
Photo taken Cliftonville Coach Park, Margate
133. MJG43
The East Kent Beadle-bodied AEC Reliance coaches got around quite a bit even in NBC days, when their non-corporate colour scheme might have attracted attention. MJG43 is seen here in a rather damp Blackpool with what I suspect is a Bostock's of Congleton coach behind it.
Photo taken Seafield Road, Blackpool
134. MJG50
East Kent RCC MJG50 & MJG47, AEC Reliance MU3RVs with Beadle C32C bodies, new in 1957. The one on the right appears to have had a home made offside windscreen fitted, without the surrounding brightwork.
Photo taken July 1970, Rock-A-Nore Road Coach Park, Hastings
135. MJG50
East Kent Road Car Company MJG50, an AEC Reliance MU3RV with Beadle C41C body of 1957. There were only 12 of these (41 to 52, although EK did not use fleet numbers) but I recall seeing them all the time on services to Victoria Coach Station. This one has additional trim around its waist in order to take an early EK interpretation of NBC livery.
Photo taken 1975, Battersea Wharf
136. NFN342
East Kent NFN342, was an A.E.C. MU3RV Reliance with a Beadle C41F body new in 1957 seen at Victoria Coach Station operating a Skyways contract service.
Photo taken Saturday 28 June 1958, Victoria Coach Station
137. SUF887
Southdown 1087, SUF887, a 1957 Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub with Beadle C41C body.
Photo taken Saturday 21 June 1958, Ascot
138. SUF897
Southdown, Brighton T1097, SUF897, was a Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub with a Beadle C41C body new in May 1957 and is seen at Ascot.
Photo taken Saturday 18 July 1959, Ascot
139. SUF905
At North's, the dealer, Sherburn-in-Elmet is former Southdown 1105, SUF905, a Leyland Tiger Cub PSUC1/2 with Beadle C41C body, new in 1957.
Photo taken July 1972, Premises of Norths, the dealer, Sherburn-in-Elmet
140. SUF909
Southdown 1109, SUF909, dated from 1957 and was a Beadle C41C bodied Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub seen on South Parade, Southsea.
Photo taken Sunday 15 June 1958, South Parade, Southsea
141. TCD10
Southdown 10, TCD10, seen in Victoria Coach Station was a Beadle-Commer TS3 integral with a Beadle Rochester C41F body new in 1957.
Photo taken Saturday 18 April 1959, London Victoria Coach Station
142. TGJ488
Charlton-on-Otmoor Services (G.P.Holder) of Charlton-on-Otmoor, Oxfordshire operated TGJ488, a 1957 C41F Beadle-Commer integral, acquired from Timpson, S.E.6 in April 1967.
Photo taken Saturday 27 February 1971, Depot, High Street, Charlton-on-Otmoor
143. TUF16
Former Southdown 16 (TUF16), a Beadle-Commer TS3 Rochester C41F new in 1957, seen here after sale by the Salford dealer Frank Cowley to Ward & Goldstone Ltd., Frederick Road, Salford.
Photo taken March 1973, Yard off Frederick Road, Salford
144. TUK255
Don Everall of Wolverhampton, operated this Commer-Beadle Integral coach, TUK255, of 1957.
Photo taken 1960, Filey
145. UCD116
Southdown 1116, UCD116, was a Beadle C41F bodied Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub new in 1957 seen at Ascot presumably having brought a party from Brighton.
Photo taken Saturday 19 July 1958, Ascot
146. WKJ787
Preserved Island Queen Commer Beadle WKJ787, a 1957 ex-demonstrater Beadle coach with 41 seat body.
Photo taken Sunday 10 July 2011, Aston Transport Museum, Birmingham
147. WKJ787
WKJ787 at the border crossing lay-by on the A68, being taken by Roger Burdett to the Scottish Bus Museum open day via the Lakeside Railway and returning via Beamish. It is a Beadle Rochester demonstrator fitted with Commer TS3 engine which spent its early working life with Moss Tours on the Isle of Wight. It had a re-conditioned engine fitted in 2006.
Photo taken Sunday 17 August 2008, A68 England/Scotland Border
148. YKR225
Another ex Maidstone & District unit operated by Clynnog & Trevor Motor Co of Trevor was YKR225, a Beadle B42F bodied AEC Reliance (MU3RV 1461) new in 1957.
Photo taken Tuesday 8 May 1973, Garage, Trefor
149. YKR236
Seen in the Bus Station in Maidstone is Maidstone & District SO236, YKR236, which was an A.E.C. MU3RV Reliance (AH410) with a Beadle B42F body new in 1957.
Photo taken Saturday 26 November 1960, Maidstone Bus Station
150. UCD126
Triumph, Portsmouth T1126, UCD126, seen here at Epsom racecourse was one of two Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cubs with Beadle C41F bodies new in January 1958 which were painted in the blue livery of Triumph Coaches.
Photo taken Saturday 2 August 1958, Epsom Racecourse
151. UCD128
Southdown 1128, UCD128, was a Beadle C32F bodied Leyland PSUC1/2 Tiger Cub which was seen at Wembley Stadium.
Photo taken Saturday 18 April 1959, Wembley