Photo © John Stringer. Please do not re-post without permission.
An unidentified Halifax Corporation AEC Regent V 2D3RA with Metro Cammell H40/32F body, new 1960.
Descending Beacon Hill Road from Southowram on route 30. This road, which can be seen winding its way up the face of Beacon Hill into the top centre of the picture, was opened in 1874 as an easier means of access to the hilltop village - and particular the stone quarries - of Southowram. Trams eventually traversed this road from 1901, but never progressed beyond the top of the hill at Bank Top to reach Southowram due to the narrowness of the roads - a source of great contention amongst the locals, and eventually providing an opening for the newly formed Hebble company to open a through route via Southowram to Brighouse.
The earlier road - Southowram Bank - can been seen climbing steeply up the right hand side of the view, though in reality it is considerbly steeper than it appears here. Climbing up diagonally in the other direction from below the row of terraced houses and behind the bus is Old Bank, which was the original road from the town towards Northowram and Bradford and which is now closed to traffic. From Old Bank an even earlier road dating back to Roman times and known as Magna Via took off straight up the face of Beacon Hill, over the top and down the other side into the lower Shibden Valley and off in the general direction of Leeds. This still exists as a rather challenging footpath.
Just out of view to the immediate right of the picture is the urban sprawl of the then grimmer industrial side of Halifax.
Photo taken by John Stringer, 1970, Beacon Hill Road
©1970-2017 John Stringer All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.