Photo © John Stringer. Please do not re-post without permission.
ACP391 started out life Halifax Corporation 342, a Leyland Titan PD2/1 with Leyland H30/26R body, renumbered 107 in 1952. Suffering roof damage in a low bridge incident near West Vale in 1963 it was converted to open-top training bus/tree lopper 418. Withdrawn in 1967 it was heavily modified to represent an original Corporation tram of 1898 to take part in the department's 70th Anniversary celebrations in 1968, clearly influenced by a similar conversion carried out to a PD2 by Yorkshire Woollen District a few years previously.
A number of other elderly PSV's were loaned from various sources for the occasion and a considerable number of privately preserved vehicles were invited to attend. A lengthy procession of these vehicles was then tagged on to the annual Halifax Charity Gala procession through the town, then they were assembled on the open ground just outside the main gala event at Manor Heath Park.
For a while after, the 'tram' then continued to take part in occasional local carnivals and fetes until passing into WYPTE ownership in 1974, after which it languished gathering dust in the back of Elmwood Garage, then just disappeared - presumably taken by one of the Barnsley breakers.
Photo taken by John Stringer, June 1968, Horton Street, Halifax
©1968-2017 John Stringer All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.