Photo © John Stringer. Please do not re-post without permission.
Halifax J.O.C. 274, KCP874G, an AEC Reliance 6MU2R with Plaxton Panorama Elite C43F body, one of a batch of three new in April 1969.
These were the JOC's first brand new coaches, following on from a number of used examples, some of which had later been rebodied. In 1974 it was renumbered 57 in the WYPTE coach series (51 upwards) and later repainted into the coach version of the verona green and buttermilk livery. It remained at Halifax until withdrawal in 1978, being sold at Central Motor Auctions, Rothwell in the December to Jack Hughes (dealer), Cleckheaton where it remained unsold until at least March 1982.
Behind to the left can be seen the southern end of the Corporation's Skircoat Garage, the green doors being the entrance to the bodyshop. The two garage staff in green overalls, just visible on the extreme left are taking a break outside the exit door from what at the time was the Dock Shop. The main entrance and exit was at the far (Shay Football Ground) end, but when it was first built in about 1900 as a tram shed, access was from the end we see here, the building being much shorter, being extended in several stages in rapid succession. It still functions as the garage of First Halifax, but in a rather sad and dilapidated state.
Photo taken by John Stringer, April 1969, Free School Lane, turning into Skircoat Road, Halifax
©1969-2024 John Stringer All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.