Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
Tyne Valley Coaches of Acomb operated KCU706, a Bedford SB5 with Plaxton C41F bodywork which was had been to Hall Bros of South Shields in February 1964. It is seen at the Haydon Bridge terminus of the service from Hexham, having turned round by circumnavigating the village's small council estate. The driver and conductress have gone to a nearby cafe for a cuppa before returning to Hexham.
This particular late-afternoon journey was a favourite of mine; it was an extension of the regular service between Hexham and Newbrough via Fourstones which, between Newbrough and Allerwash diverted via the hamlet of Settlingstones, a former mining village set on bleak moorland above the Great Whin Sill between The Stanegate and the Military Road (both Roman roads close to Hadrian's Wall).
Lead had been mined at Settlingstones since about 1690 but production ceased in 1873. The previous year witherite production started and after mining of barytes finished by the end of the Great War, Settlingstones became one of the world's largest producers of witherite until production finally ended in 1969 with the seams having been mostly worked out.
Photo taken by Alan Hall, c.1973, Church Street, Haydon Bridge
©1973-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.