Photo © Ken Jones. Please do not re-post without permission.
KLJ749 (779) is a Bristol LL with an unusual Portsmouth Aviation body, new to Hants and Dorset in 1950. It is owned by 2 members of the BVBG and was used for members lunch event in Jan 2016. It is also scheduled to be at the H & D centenary later in the year. Complete with hand signal it is seen arriving at the luncheon venue.
This bus is the survivor of a pair built for Hants and Dorset on Bristol LL chassis with Gardner 6LW 8.4 litre engines. They were the first 30' long buses bought by Hants and Dorset.
KLJ749 was given the fleet number 779 and was originally painted in coach livery, but was repainted into standard bus livery in 1954.
It was withdrawn from service in 1965 and sold to Atomic Power Constructors at Dungeness, and then to a fruit farm in Kent, where it was bought for preservation in 1983. Immediate work had to be done to rescue the cab from collapse, and then the body was rebuilt and restored to its 1960 appearance during 1986 and 1987. More details here.
Photo taken by Ken Jones Gallery, Sunday 10 January 2016, Emborough
Click here for Ken's photo gallery
©2016-2019 Ken Jones All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.