Photo © John Stringer. Please do not re-post without permission.
Hebble 657, 5876W, a Leyland Leopard L1 with Burlingham DP41F body. New to Sheffield JOC 'C' fleet as 1176 in 1960, it passed to the 'B' fleet in 1967 as 3076, becoming Hebble's 161 in early 1970, being renumbered 657 later that year.
In March 1971 it became 306 with Halifax JOC, passing to the newly created Calderdale JOC in the August. Withdrawn in 1972 it passed via a dealer in the Irish Republic to J. Glynn of Graigue-na-Spidogue in Co. Carlow and was reregistered KIC 720, being reregistered again as SFI 851 on passing by 1978 to O'Malley of Newport who eventually scrapped it at his garage.
Here it is seen (already a little tatty round the edges) on Stiperden Moor returning from Burnley 'over the tops', destined for Halifax and Leeds, on a raw winter's day shortly before the end of Hebble's stage operations. No doubt the heaters weren't working too well either as the driver has forsaken his uniform issue overcoat for a period secondhand car dealer type sheepskin collared suede alternative.
Photo taken by John Stringer, February 1971, Somewhere on Stiperden Moor between Mereclough and Blackshaw Head!
©1971-2017 John Stringer All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.