Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
OPT995K was an AEC Reliance 6MU4R with Plaxton C45F bodywork which had been new in 1972 to Gillett Bros of Quarrington Hill. Here it is waiting to leave Durham for Hartlepool, a journey taking 85 minutes.
The company, always known locally as the G & B, was 100% dual-crew and had been the sole preserve of Gillett Bros since 1959 when Baker (the 'B' part of the name) ceased to trade. For many years the G & B had their Durham terminus in the backwater of Waddington Street (near the United depot) so the move to Millburngate gave them a much higher profile in Durham. They were acquired by United Auto in November 1974.
Photo taken by Alan Hall, c 1974, Millburngate, Durham
©1974-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.