Photo © Alan R Hall. Please do not re-post without permission.
Glasgow TB113, FYS874, stands in dazzling sunshine at the Muirend terminus of service 107 to Maitland Street. She was a BUT9613T with Crossley H37/34R bodywork and was delivered on 24 September 1958 although she didn't enter service until 12 November; she lasted until 27 May 1967, the final day of the system.
Glasgow's trolleybuses were something of an enigma and many Glaswegians never had cause to travel on them at all. Because of the longevity of the tram system and the desirability of keeping the two systems apart as much as possible (the trams used bow collectors and long dead sections were required to ensure these didn't cause a short-circuit) they scarcely penetrated the city centre at all; even those services which did enter the central area, the 105 and 107 as well as the short-lived Night Service, avoided most of the more fashionable streets. With the exception of the Night Service, no trolleybus services terminated in the city centre either, allthough Maitland Street, situated almost opposite Cowcaddens subway station, wasn't a million miles away.
The 107 was introduced on 7 July 1957 and, between Mount Florida and Gorbals Street, ran via Victoria Road and St Andrew's Cross, whereas the 105 used Cathcart Road. It was replaced by motorbus service 67 on 4 March 1967.
Photo taken by Alan Hall, c.1966, Muirend Road at Hazelden Gardens, Muirend
©1966-2017 Alan R Hall All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.