Photo © Stuart Little. Please do not re-post without permission.
Recent comments about St Enoch Square (here) prompted speculation about Beardmore building taxis as well as ships. GCT 318 was the only 1930 Leyland Titan to be fitted with a "heavy oil engine" manufactured by Beardmore as an experiment, and GCT ordered 30 to be installed in the forthcoming Albion Venturer SP81 buses in 1935. 1-30 had Gardner engines and 31-50 had Beardmore 6-cylinder engines built at Dalmuir but production was ceased due to reliability problems and by 1940, all had been replaced by Leyland.
The company also built flats for its workers at Dalmuir and the building incorporated a "dreadnaught" battleship in the stonework. The huge steel works at Parkhead was a landmark, now remembered (?) by today's shoppers as "The Forge" centre at Parkhead Cross.
Photo taken by unknown, Stuart Little collection, 1934, unknown
©2015-2017 Stuart Little All Rights Reserved.
You're welcome to print these pages for personal use only or to link to them as long as it's not for financial gain. Photos may not be re-posted anywhere (including facebook, flickr and fotopic sites) without permission. See the Site Map for further details.